Has anyone tried to replace the whole keypad assembly with that of a 9700? Will it/does it work? Stutterfree?
    I am under a local importer's warranty here in indonesia and had to send my 9780 back to them after only a few days of use for the keyboard stutter. Since there's no unit replacement policy under the warranty, I was told that they had to switch to 9700 membrane for my unit since they tested the other membranes of 9780 in stock were also having the same problem.

I am now a happy 9780 user for 3 weeks with absolute perfection for my keyboard after the repair .

However, I do reccomend experienced service center/store to do it for you, or you might just do more damage to it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ritesh likes this.
    01-28-11 11:17 PM
    Lol you have a double character in your last sentence!!! Not trying to be funny or anything but are you sure it fixed the issue completely?
    I'm asking cos I too ordered a 9700 membrane and will do it myself.
    01-30-11 09:21 AM
    Lol you have a double character in your last sentence!!! Not trying to be funny or anything but are you sure it fixed the issue completely?
    I'm asking cos I too ordered a 9700 membrane and will do it myself.
    Pardon me for the spelling mistake. Yes, 23 days and counting for a perfect unit, I hope your new membrane does it too.

TheCROW163 likes this.
    01-30-11 12:41 PM
    my phone is almost unusable now, the stutter is terrible. I've bought a second membrane in the hope that will fix this. I don't recommend this.
    Update on your membrane progress? When you say you don't recommend, do you mean the phone, or the membrane procedure?

02-01-11 03:12 PM
    Update on your membrane progress? When you say you don't recommend, do you mean the phone, or the membrane procedure?

ok I have wasted 2 membranes now. Both were sh!t. The phone is a turd anyway but I've wasted more money on this crap. The membrane trick does not work. I repeat DOES NOT WORK. I phoned RIM who cannot even take the phone back or exchange cos I bought this outside of a contract. How pathetic. I have wasted my money on this rubbishly built phone.
    02-01-11 04:29 PM
    ok I have wasted 2 membranes now. Both were sh!t. The phone is a turd anyway but I've wasted more money on this crap. The membrane trick does not work. I repeat DOES NOT WORK. I phoned RIM who cannot even take the phone back or exchange cos I bought this outside of a contract. How pathetic. I have wasted my money on this rubbishly built phone.
    I find it hard to believe that this is a software problem and also hard to believe that it could be something deeper like the main board which doesn't make quite sense. I don't have the stutter but I'm interested in this fault.
    02-01-11 10:01 PM
    I am under a local importer's warranty here in indonesia and had to send my 9780 back to them after only a few days of use for the keyboard stutter. Since there's no unit replacement policy under the warranty, I was told that they had to switch to 9700 membrane for my unit since they tested the other membranes of 9780 in stock were also having the same problem.

I am now a happy 9780 user for 3 weeks with absolute perfection for my keyboard after the repair .

However, I do reccomend experienced service center/store to do it for you, or you might just do more damage to it.

Thank you for sharing this. I just want to know how's your 9780 doing? Still stutter free? I'm experiencing the same double key inputs issue and planning to have my 9780's keyboard membrane replaced with a 9700's...
    02-09-11 01:38 AM
    Good news, new BB 9780 on the way.
    02-09-11 02:46 PM
    Thank you for sharing this. I just want to know how's your 9780 doing? Still stutter free? I'm experiencing the same double key inputs issue and planning to have my 9780's keyboard membrane replaced with a 9700's...
    Yes, my 9780 is still doing perfect with its keyboard, love it.

almyty likes this.
    02-09-11 08:30 PM
    Yes, my 9780 is still doing perfect with its keyboard, love it.

That's great! What i really want to know. Thank you.
    02-09-11 09:24 PM
    okay update..........

I'm on key membrane number 3. This time I decided to use a pen eraser on the copper on the PCB. I finished with contact cleaner and let it dry for about 20 mins.

I scrubbed the copper with the pen eraser very very well this time round before it was sprayed with contact cleaner. The membrane was aligned carefully.

I have the typing speed to normal and spell check ON. I can now confirm that its about 97% stutter free. This is a huge result considering it was totally messed up and every word was stuttering almost.

It is still going back. A dollop of white Tippex on the screw under the faceplate.
    02-15-11 04:43 PM
    Keytune replacement has been perfect for me. Three days and counting. Thanks.

03-28-11 06:44 PM
    OMG!! Wow ... Uve got more patience dan me... =D
    A N D ... I WAS jis "LIED TO" by Carrier Techie Supp ... Told me to USE "AppLoader" .....
    (4 wth? IdK??) But SAID "it WILL 'CORRECT' the "Uncaught Exception" (NullPoint etc etc...) Errors" ... After THAT, hmmm (?) I asked "THAT will FIX the double KEYPRESS issueS TOO??
    OMG... Here's where it gets better --- he said...
    "Oh YES, it IS a 'SOFTWARE' Issue..."
    (omg & get this part)...he added: "RIM figured it out!! And they fixed it!"
    Hhhh ha hA HA aHHa HaHaAA...since WEN does RIM give a $h!�?? Let alone "FIX IT" ?????
    W A T?? HOW?? There's ήό WAY!! --
    I think is time for "the Shovels" folks --- the $h!� is gettin piled HiGH !! ?? !!
    (I was told bak in Dec (wit my then 9700)- that is a FATAL type Error . . . ??)
    Help!! I need INPUT here ...any1 got sum FACTS 4 me?? Um gonna wig out on em peeps that DON'T WANNA DEAL w/"RIM"s BuLLS. anymore than WE do --XCEPT is THEIR EFFN J-O-B !!!!

03-28-11 08:17 PM
    Old post, but I'd just like to chime in and let frustrated people know, the membrane fix DOES WORK!

This was my fourth 9780 btw. All of them had this issue and I didn't want to exchange it again because all the previous ones also had cosmetic issues. Keys missing paint, scratched and dented bezel, and bezel not flush, actually dented out so you could see all the light leak from the side of the phone (also letting dust get in). I've had horrible quality issues with this phone, but I'm happy to hear that some were able to snag some good units.

Anyways, long story short, just wanted to let those still debating whether to try this fix that it this that it DOES work. Try at your own risk of course, but it's pretty straight-foward. I used an eraser to scrub, cleaned the contacts with some alcohol, then applied the new membrane with tweezers.

Some other info: bought membrane from sw-box. Plug for them: shipping was fast if you choose express and their parts do look OEM (or as close to OEM as can be). I know lots of people concerned about parts listed as OEM, but turn out being crap. I ordered a keyboard as well and it was identical to the original. The membrane is identical to the 9700 ones.

Thanks to OP for the fix!
    04-05-11 09:33 PM
    Which alcohol did you use? I only have the regular mediacal alcohol 95% pure. Will it work or should I use something else?
    04-06-11 01:24 PM
    I just got my Bold 9780 last week. I have not had this issue at all.
    I wonder if RIM fixed this in the later issues of 9780s?
    Anyways i consider myself lucky, but i still like to open my mind and just read and learn as much as i can ^_^

Thanks for the step by step, I personally wont do it as i have no need, but i will point others in your direction that may seek this fix ^_~
    04-07-11 07:22 PM
    Okay, I hope this fix works because my marriage may depend on it! I gave my wife a 9780 for her birthday last November. From day one she got the double letters and it has been driving her absolutely crazy (which means it is driving me crazy too).

Just put in a new keytune (a.k.a. keypad membrane sticker pcb mylar) in her phone by following the directions at the thread top (plus the alcohol clean). Definitely needed the plastic tool and had to run out to the hardware store for the torx t5 bit. After the surgery, all keys are working and my wife claims there is a difference already.

Will report back later to let you know one way or another. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks 6-sic-6!!
    04-30-11 05:46 PM
    A N D ... I WAS jis "LIED TO" by Carrier Techie Supp ... Told me to USE "AppLoader" .....
    (4 wth? IdK??) But SAID "it WILL 'CORRECT' the "Uncaught Exception" (NullPoint etc etc...) Errors" ... After THAT, hmmm (?) I asked "THAT will FIX the double KEYPRESS issueS TOO??
    Hhhh ha hA HA aHHa HaHaAA...since WEN does RIM give a $h!�?? Let alone "FIX IT" ?????
    I think is time for "the Shovels" folks --- the $h!� is gettin piled HiGH !! ?? !!
    Help!! I need INPUT here ...any1 got sum FACTS 4 me?? Um gonna wig out on em peeps that DON'T WANNA DEAL w/"RIM"s BuLLS. anymore than WE do --XCEPT is THEIR EFFN J-O-B !!!!

are you serious.....i mean.....really???
    04-30-11 07:01 PM
    I recently received a white rogers 9780 and came across this thread. I did not suffer from any double typing, but one of my keys would only function half the time. I followed the OP's instructions, cleaned the contacts but that did not fix the issue.

Going on the thought that the defective key was not making sufficient contact with the membrane, I tried an unorthodox solution. Using an exacto knife, I cut a small square of clear packaging tape, the size of one of the key contacts. I placed the tape on the defective key position on the membrane - on the white side. This small piece of tape provided a raised enough contact surface for the defective key. All my keys now work 100% of the time.

Thanks again OP for posting this.

05-01-11 02:56 PM

Pittsburgh should be embarrased
    05-01-11 03:34 PM
    Aaaagh!! Well---what do ya kno ~~~ its been admitted guys!!!!! I've been told (T-MO) that 9780 manufactured PRIOR TO March 1st ... ARE DEFECTIVE!! THEY were advised by RIM (bout a month ago they say ... (ώόώ!) Iive been lied to b4 but the 1st thing I was asked for--- was thAt #....then I was told "we are going to need to replace that..." --- ό₥₲ - I kno it sux switchn dvices - but I'm no mechanic . . . My 3rd 9780 (2nd xchange) arrived 2day (& ㎛ afraid 2 even open the box!!) - there's a 3-digit # to right of pin under battery (under IMEI#) - that they lookUp + tells em WEN it was mfg'd - (2nd 1 that I was sent was mfg in "2008" ...(Wtf?) Bought original as "new" → 12/2010 ... Hmmm (THAT'S ODD-? + A LOTTA FONES!) Yet, I also got my daughter one, the same day I got mine & hers IS FINE (?) .....
    ---> So, jis thought I'd pass this along .....before I SWITCH again . . . And for those of ㎲ who can't toy around with these things (& don't wanna VOID warranty ----) NOT an OPTION!!
    ㎰ what version of OS6 you guys runniNg? Seems I've found DM won't recognize the fones on - 9780/6.0.0."448" (they come up "UNKNOWN DEVICE" ... & is NOT my DM version - done clean uninstall/re-download/re-install DM and SOS!! (My old 9700 is fine w/DM) ~AND~ wtf is up wit AppLoader?? Even - Applications - NOT being recognized w/9780 --- ?? UGH!!

05-06-11 09:59 PM
    Ok guys, my problem is 100% fixed! Had been suffering from this issue since November. Unlocked T-Mobile Mexico-1.
    Last week an aquaintance advised me to visit this guy in Bombay who fixes cell phones for a living and is very good at his job. Being almost driven upto the wall I thought why not give it a try. Visited him last Fri. His name is Aftab and he's located in a suburb called King's Circle in Bombay, India.
    Total time taken by him: 10 mins.
    Charges: $ 5.
    He dissembled my BB in front of me. Pulled out a hair dryer and blew warm air on the white membrane for 5 to 10 secs. Slowly pulled out the membrane. Started erasing the circuit board with a pencil eraser for 15 secs. Turned the membrane over. Pulled out some gadget which looked like a tweezer with a wire attached to it's other end. He did something to each key dimple on the membrane. It was something like a very mild scratching action. He then cleaned all the key contacts on the PCB with an ear bud which was most probably dipped in isopropyl alcohol. Assembled everything back. The problem has never ever occured again and I can't stop grinning. The best part is that he did all this in front of me and was very careful with the phone all throughout.
    So if any of you guys happen to be in India, he's your man, the magician!! I don't think I would be allowed to post his contact no. in this thread due to the forum rules, but if any of u are intersted, I'll give it a shot.

Last edited by Kishore Thaakur; 05-07-11 at 01:45 AM.
    05-07-11 01:39 AM
    Kishore. I need aftab's contact number for my wetberry. My 9780 dunked into water .Some local guy managed to bring it back to life, but the BT radio is damaged.Also the guy who worked on my wetberry, seems like a careless person.
    He has broken 2 out of 5 hinges on the small plate below the keypad, that you first take out to open the screws.
    Maybe Aftab is my man. I stay close to King's circle .
    PM/PIN message, would be fine to save poor Aftab from being spammed by marketeers.
    05-07-11 02:27 AM
    I understood that part of your post

05-07-11 03:46 AM
    Kishore. I need aftab's contact number for my wetberry. My 9780 dunked into water .Some local guy managed to bring it back to life, but the BT radio is damaged.Also the guy who worked on my wetberry, seems like a careless person.
    He has broken 2 out of 5 hinges on the small plate below the keypad, that you first take out to open the screws.
    Maybe Aftab is my man. I stay close to King's circle .
    PM/PIN message, would be fine to save poor Aftab from being spammed by marketeers.
    I have sent you the details on your PIN. Do inform your experience with him..

05-07-11 03:55 AM
112 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD