I upgraded to the 9700 a couple weeks ago. I keep hearing things about the 9800. I can take my phone back to get my upgrade back so that could get the 9800 when it releases, Is the 9800 going to be "all that" that I must have the phone? what would you do and why?

I am starting to love my phone *Finally* but I do find myself occasionally touching the screen, as I came from an iphone.
    06-05-10 07:15 PM
    I'd say the answer to your question: "Is the 9800 going to be "all that?" would be YESSSSSSSSSS it will.
    06-05-10 07:19 PM
    I would take it back and tough it out for a little while longer for either the 9800 or the 9700 refresh just for the spec increase and the ability of the newer devices to possibly better support OS 6...I'm sure the the 9700 you have now will be able to handle the version of OS 6 that is given just fine but why not have the double memory that the next gen devices will have?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-10 07:26 PM
    I'm still undecided on the 9800 I like to see the phone out for a while here some reviews before I crown it king....but if u already have the 9700(like me ) I wouldn't upgrade! But then again I love my 9700!

06-05-10 07:27 PM
    take that 9700 back.
    the 9800 is gonna be the device every person on CB is gonna want.
    Touch Screen and Qwerty - Best of both worlds.
    06-05-10 07:53 PM
    What carrier is it coming out for??? Hope it doesnt have any limited datat plans….sadface
    06-05-10 08:06 PM
    At&t and possibly T-Mobile.
    06-05-10 08:07 PM
    At&t and possibly T-Mobile.
    any idea when the 9800 is supposed to drop on AT&T?
    nevermind, just saw it in another thread
    06-05-10 08:12 PM
    i cant wait to hear all the complaints about wobbly sliders

pass
    06-05-10 08:12 PM

pass
    that is one of my concerns. My mom had a slider, and she hardly ever used her phone and she started having trouble after about a year, I am using my constantly for one thing or another. I have also had a touch screen with the iphone, so that doesn't matter one way or another.
    06-05-10 08:26 PM
    Take it back. The 9800 is coming soon, and the 9700 is more than likely soon getting an update/refresh in order to run OS 6 as well.
    06-05-10 08:27 PM
    that is one of my concerns. My mom had a slider, and she hardly ever used her phone and she started having trouble after about a year, I am using my constantly for one thing or another. I have also had a touch screen with the iphone, so that doesn't matter one way or another.
    that is a concern for me. but hopefully RIM learned its lesson through the competition (hardly Palm with their Pre).
    06-05-10 08:32 PM
    I wouldn't run and take it back. Remember this RIM's first slider, after their epic fail with the first production Storm1, I wouldn't be so quick to crown the 9800 king, the 9700 is trial tested and a solid phone, while I would wait a short time longer for the 9700a (512mb and 5mp camera) which is going to be a guaranteed beast. However, I don't know if would be running out to pick up an early production 9800 that is more than likely going to have a fair share of early set backs.

Food for thought.
    06-05-10 08:38 PM

pass
    I can just see the forums post titles now:

I'm on my 13th slidddder in two weeks...WTF RIM??!!

After my 11th sliddder I finally got the perfect one...oh s@!#, I just dropped it and its scuffed...WTF RIM??!!

06-06-10 06:54 AM
    On the other hand RIM may have got it right.

There have been so many comments about build quality lately that RIM have probably done their design work well. That said, I wonder how a plastic on plastic slider can ever remain smooth and tight over time.

Coming from a 9700 the 9800 brings a number of good things to us:
    • 5 Mp camera in place of our 3.5 unit
    • A physically larger screen although the the screen resolution remains the same at 480 x 360 pixels.
    • A touch screen (non-surepress) as weel as the normal trackpad and BlackBerry buttons
    • A real keyboard that means the phone can still be used one handed in portrait orintation
    • A soft on-screen keyboard for use in landscape mode
    • Double the memory at 512Mb. This will mean full OS 6 compatability.
    • The new WebKit browser when OS 6 hits. I have great hope that this will deliver its promise of truly great browsing. Of course we have to wait for OS 6 to get it but that should be here sometime this year.
    • The slider itself. I need to see this and use it, live with it before I can comment. I like the idea but it worries me at the same time.
    Hopefully the 9800 will launch with OS 6 and will also have the same huge battery capacity as the 9700.
    06-06-10 07:10 AM
    Its said to have the same battery as the storm/tour/8900...which is a couple hundred mAh less than the 9000/9700...hopefully they have found a way between the processor and OS to get the most out of it and get similar performance to the 9700...if the battery is underpowered this will be a big problem for me

06-06-10 07:19 AM
    Its said to have the same battery as the storm/tour/8900...which is a couple hundred mAh less than the 9000/9700...hopefully they have found a way between the processor and OS to get the most out of it and get similar performance to the 9700...if the battery is underpowered this will be a big problem for me

You may be right. I hope not because my guess is that the 9800 will have / must have a faster prpcessor than any of the phines you cite.

Faster processors usually chew up batteries, well, faster..
    06-06-10 07:22 AM
    You may be right. I hope not because my guess is that the 9800 will have / must have a faster prpcessor than any of the phines you cite.

Faster processors usually chew up batteries, well, faster..
    I'm no expert but I didn't think this was always the case...for example I remember reading that one of the reasons that the 9700 was so solid on battery life was because it supposedly had a 800+ processor that was set up to run at 624...more efficient use of power than the 9000...hoping for the same here with the 9800

06-06-10 07:27 AM
    I am looking forward to it coming out, but my 9700 will suffice for now and once my contract is up, I am sure all the bugs and whatever else needs attention is ironed out. Looks like a killer phone and has awesome spec's for a Berry.

06-06-10 09:57 AM
    Lesson I've learned:

Sliders+touchscreen devices are not the "best of both worlds" solution you might imagine them to be. True, I have only owned 2-handed slide-out keyboards (G1, and mytouch 3g slide), and not 1-handed sliders (like the 9800), but I found them to be heavy touchscreen devices, and lousy keyboard devices, so really a "not-the-best of both worlds." Most-recently I returned my mytouch 3g slide for a new Bold 9700, and I gave my OLD Bold 9700 to my wife.

Touch screens are a liability and can actually take away functionality. Having twice the screen means having twice the worry of cracking that screen. Having a touchscreen means having twice the consequences if you DO crack that screen. It also means needing twice the power to illuminate all that screen. When I had all of my slider devices, I found myself wishing I could keep the slider open all the time. So I began thinking, why not get a device with a keyboard available all the time. I can use my blackberry without looking at it (physical buttons). Using ShortcutMe or QuickLaunch (I prefer SCM), I can launch anything and speed dial or speed mail anyone with 4 blind clicks.

The more I use my 9700, the more I believe in my mantra that touchscreen = flashy, and keyboard = functionality. Slider is OK if you want to sacrifice some flashy for function AND some function for flashy. Personally, I prefer all function.
    06-07-10 06:17 AM
    Not really worried about breaking a screen...that's why you buy insurance or put it in one of those 3 lb. tank cases like otterboxes...

The issue of the keyboard being way to thin to comfortably type on does concern me...I think the 9700 Is too thin...whenever I put a seidio case on it or an extended battery it makes the typing experience much better...same deal with the 9800 I'm thinking but I guess we won't know until its in hand

06-07-10 07:04 AM
    Lesson I've learned:

Sliders+touchscreen devices are not the "best of both worlds" solution you might imagine them to be. True, I have only owned 2-handed slide-out keyboards (G1, and mytouch 3g slide), and not 1-handed sliders (like the 9800), but I found them to be heavy touchscreen devices, and lousy keyboard devices, so really a "not-the-best of both worlds." Most-recently I returned my mytouch 3g slide for a new Bold 9700, and I gave my OLD Bold 9700 to my wife.

Touch screens are a liability and can actually take away functionality. Having twice the screen means having twice the worry of cracking that screen. Having a touchscreen means having twice the consequences if you DO crack that screen. It also means needing twice the power to illuminate all that screen. When I had all of my slider devices, I found myself wishing I could keep the slider open all the time. So I began thinking, why not get a device with a keyboard available all the time. I can use my blackberry without looking at it (physical buttons). Using ShortcutMe or QuickLaunch (I prefer SCM), I can launch anything and speed dial or speed mail anyone with 4 blind clicks.

The more I use my 9700, the more I believe in my mantra that touchscreen = flashy, and keyboard = functionality. Slider is OK if you want to sacrifice some flashy for function AND some function for flashy. Personally, I prefer all function.
    Wow! Thanks. This gives me a lot of good information to consider.
    06-07-10 07:48 AM
    I don't like touch screen phones so that's why I wouldn't reguardless of it having a keyboard or not.

06-07-10 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD