the top buttons on my 9700, lock and mute?, arent working. i just purchased it use and didn't realize there were buttons there, its really annoying especially with the newer os that use the top lock button to lock the keypad. Anybody know if theres a fix for this?

thanks
    Last edited by j-tran_; 06-28-10 at 06:19 PM.
    06-28-10 06:16 PM
    Ok, what OS version are you using??? Next, what do YOU think is annoying about the buttons??? Have you tried just using the letter "A"... press and hold for a full second and your device will lock.... check out the link below in my signature on how to lock your device if you'd like to learn how to use your device with the latest OS versions.
    06-28-10 06:36 PM
    sorry, should of been more clear in my post, the top 2 buttons don't work, when i click either of them they dont respond, that means in the newer os, that use the top button to lock the keypad, when i hold "a" to lock the keyboard, Im unable to unlock the keypad after. I know it's a hardware issue and was wondering if there was a fix for this.
    06-28-10 06:53 PM
    First, turn on the the "beep" sound - Options>Screen/Keyboard>Key Tone: ON. Save. Press the buttons, they should all "beep." If they don't, the switch is broken or not making proper contact with the external button. I've run across 2 broken switches so far, one of them was the top right on a 9700. I ordered new complete housings for a 9700 and a 8520 and the switches are all the same. It's these: BlackBerry Curve 8520/8530 OEM side button contacts - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular or BlackBerry Bold 9700 OEM side button contacts - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories They're all the same and just slip out of slots in the middle housing.

If you determine it is the switches that are bad, I have some out of the original housings I changed. lmk.
    06-28-10 06:59 PM
    for top two buttons if your device software is 5.0.0.586 or 5.0.0.714 they dont work like the old 5.0.0.330 ver 330 if you hit mute button will gointo standby and lock will lock and promp for password but the newer updates removed this i dont know y and they all so removed the rows in the pic viewer to 4 only old ver let you set the pic row from 3-8 pic in a row was nice im running a bold 9700 tmobile usa phone now if you have t-mobile for your service and run the blackberry desktop manger i can make a link for the old 330 ver but its 158mb file ok later
    06-28-10 07:10 PM
    First, turn on the the "beep" sound - Options>Screen/Keyboard>Key Tone: ON. Save. Press the buttons, they should all "beep." If they don't, the switch is broken or not making proper contact with the external button. I've run across 2 broken switches so far, one of them was the top right on a 9700. I ordered new complete housings for a 9700 and a 8520 and the switches are all the same. It's these: BlackBerry Curve 8520/8530 OEM side button contacts - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular or BlackBerry Bold 9700 OEM side button contacts - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories They're all the same and just slip out of slots in the middle housing.

If you determine it is the switches that are bad, I have some out of the original housings I changed. lmk.
    thanks, just tried and tone trick and both dont work, guess i need to order some new switches
    06-28-10 07:55 PM
    Or you can order this and get it faster than from China: Blackberry Bold 9700 OEM Middle Frame Housing Chassis - eBay (item 320554039817 end time Jun-29-10 08:15:07 PDT) It has everything already installed and ready to use but you have to transfer the white info stickers under the battery.
    Or this and get everything: New Blackberry Bold 9700 OEM Full Housing - eBay (item 320554128927 end time Jun-29-10 12:38:29 PDT)
    I ordered from them and it took about a week to receive. Also got a trackpad from them. What little they offered for the 9700 is exactly what I was looking for. Their prices are great!

Good luck.
    Last edited by shfjcs; 06-28-10 at 08:18 PM.
    06-28-10 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD