Hi all,

I have a 18-month old Blackberry Bold 9700.

A few days ago, the device got very wet in my pocket during a downpour after the U2 concert in Montreal. The unit got quite warm and then died - I did not have time to pull the battery in time. Since then I let it dry for a few days but it does not work now, not even getting a red LED.

I know the unit is probably a lost cause, but is there anyway to recover data (contacts, notes, images) from the internal memory?

Any other advice? Thanks!
    07-12-11 11:23 AM
    Unless the device powers on when plugged into a computer, there would be no way of retrieving your data.
    07-12-11 12:26 PM
    Images and notes will be saved on SD card, just remove the card and they will be fine.
    You will loose contacts and messages (email and text) which are stored on phone.
    07-13-11 07:41 AM
    Images and notes will be saved on SD card, just remove the card and they will be fine.
    You will loose contacts and messages (email and text) which are stored on phone.
    Many thanks,

What I need most are the memo-pad notes - I have put the SIM in my new Blackberry 9800, but I can't seem to find my old memo-pad notes. Any advice?
    07-13-11 10:49 AM
    try putting it in desiccant or rice for a few days. Spilled coffee on my tv remote and did this, works like a charm.
    fishman9700 likes this.
    07-13-11 02:11 PM
    try putting it in desiccant or rice for a few days. Spilled coffee on my tv remote and did this, works like a charm.
    Ditto... I got my Tour wet and it didn't reboot. Put it in rice for a day... Didn't reboot... Left it in rice for 3 more days and voila! Totally cover it in rice and just leave it for a few days, have faith, pray to the RIM gods and give it another go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-11 08:57 AM
    Images and notes will be saved on SD card(...)
    Many thanks,
    What I need most are the memo-pad notes - I have put the SIM in my new Blackberry 9800, but I can't seem to find my old memo-pad notes. Any advice?
    Apart of the later suggested rice drying, which hopefully would work for you, and just in case it won't:
    SD card = memory card
    SIM card = card given by your operator, that holds your number
    07-14-11 11:04 AM
    Ditto... I got my Tour wet and it didn't reboot. Put it in rice for a day... Didn't reboot... Left it in rice for 3 more days and voila! Totally cover it in rice and just leave it for a few days, have faith, pray to the RIM gods and give it another go.

Thanks,

I will try this. My main concern is that the unit got quite warm (perhaps indicating an internal short from water) just before it shut down, so I fear that some components may be fried.
    07-14-11 11:07 AM
    Apart of the later suggested rice drying, which hopefully would work for you, and just in case it won't:
    SD card = memory card
    SIM card = card given by your operator, that holds your number
    Many thanks, I have moved both the SIM and micro SD card from the soaked 9700 to my new 9800, but can't seem to find the memo-pad notes on either cards.

Forgive my ignorance - what folder would contain the memo-pad file(s)?
    07-14-11 11:21 AM
    (...)Forgive my ignorance - what folder would contain the memo-pad file(s)?
    Good question, for sure not one that can be treated as ignorance
    I just assumed that valv507 knew better. I am not able to locate my notes on the SD card. And actually I believe they'd be stored in the internal memory for the security sake.
    07-14-11 11:42 AM
    Good question, for sure not one that can be treated as ignorance
    I just assumed that valv507 knew better. I am not able to locate my notes on the SD card. And actually I believe they'd be stored in the internal memory for the security sake.
    Thanks

Yes, I have extensively searched both the SIM and the SD card but could not locate any memo-pad files. Hopefully the rice will dry out the unit enough to retrieve the files. If not, can the memory chip be removed and read?

I know, I know; I should have backed up these files more regularly

Back up your BB today without delay! Just do it!
    07-14-11 12:28 PM
    Hi all,

My moisture damaged Blackberry 9700 has been dismantled and dried, but it still does not power-up; no screen display or LED light . Perhaps there are some fuse chips on the main board? Also, does anyone have a schematic for the main PCB? Thanks!
    07-20-11 11:55 AM
    Hi all,

My moisture damaged Blackberry 9700 has been dismantled and dried, but it still does not power-up; no screen display or LED light . Perhaps there are some fuse chips blown on the main board? Also, does anyone have a schematic for the main PCB? Thanks!
    07-20-11 11:56 AM
    I doubt you could get anything from the chips via transplanting it into another PCB of a blackberry. The chip is likely flashed out if it's flash memory. The BIOS/CMOS chip is also likely fried, resulting in being FUBAR'd. Sorry for your loss.

07-20-11 11:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD