There is an App for that, LOL
    seriously?
    06-03-10 11:20 AM
    If it's RIM fault then wouldn't it be effecting AT&T 9700's as well?
    There are plenty of people on AT&T (and even other networks) that have had these very same issues.
    06-03-10 11:31 AM
    Last night I put my SIM card into my old 8900 and got full bars as well. Their normal network is fine but 3G is not working. After talking to several friends of mine I'm finding out that SEVERAL people have been having 3G issues on their 9700's for MONTHS.
    I'm having intermittent 3G issues, but not a signal strength thing. If I happen to use WiFi/UMA, then back to 3G, it's like my data is blocked. Full 3G bars, little BB icon indicating BIS is working. But yet zero data comes through. Will sometimes free up and start allowing data again in about 30min-1hr. This was using .586. I've upped to .680 again, to see if a different OS will resolve things.

I can say for sure, despite full bars on 3G, and a good signal and great voice performance (no dropped calls), data is slow to say the least. Tethering, was only getting ~300 kbps, but I haven't checked within the last two weeks.

All I hope is that these issues are from T-Mo actually upgrading towers or backhaul or something in the background.
    06-03-10 11:34 AM
    It's an ongoing issue with T-Mobile's version.It's the UMA feature that's interfering with the the 9700's 3G. That's why you don't hear of this problem on AT&T's version or on the 8900.It had been hoped that OS .586 would have fixed the issues on .330 but I guess not.It's a shame because it's such a nice device otherwise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by experiment626; 06-03-10 at 11:38 AM.
    06-03-10 11:36 AM
    It's an ongoing issue with T-Mobile's version.It's the UMA feature that's interfering with the the 9700's 3G.
    How do you know this?
    06-03-10 11:41 AM
    just finished (re)installing .680 (had it, then went back to .586 hoping it to be a path to .714, but nope).... back on .680... just now checked that if I go on WiFi/UMA and use data and such, and then back to 3G, the data block issue I described above seems to not be occurring anymore... very early to say if this fixed my specific 3G issue permanently, but will keep "testing" it throughout the rest of the day...

but what was said above about the T-Mo's specific release (.586 I take it that meaning?) having an issue between UMA and 3G makes a lot of sense, as I have experienced "something" when going from one (UMA/WiFi) to the other (3G, or even EDGE... let's just say cell data)...

probably why another release - ie. 714 - is supposed to be coming so soon after .586... which took an eternity from .330 to that...
    Last edited by mi_canuck; 06-03-10 at 11:45 AM.
    06-03-10 11:42 AM
    Both 9700's on my account are not working on the T-mobile 3G hetwork. I have done several troubleshooting techniques including activating new SIM cards, battery pulls, master resets and even upgrading and downgrading the OS.

The phone is fluctuating between SOS, X (no service) and low bars on egde, gprs and gsm. I've also called T-mobile technical support and they refuse to send replacements because the phone does work on the 2g network option.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I reside in the Metro Detroit area and am having problems at home, work and really everywhere.

I'm ready to throw this phone back at T-mobile and go to AT&T...
    When did you buy your phones?
    06-03-10 11:47 AM
    also - what's the build date?

this date is on the box...

6-digit number... no spaces, no dashes, no slashes... just a 6-digit #... format is DDMMYY... as in day month year.....

mine was 110310... build data of 11 March 2010... I had earlier build 9700s (from Nov or Dec 2009 timeframe), and they were MUCH more problematic...

perhaps you have early build 9700s?
    06-03-10 11:53 AM
    I would guarantee that there are wayyyy more perfectly working 9700's with tmobile than problematic ones. That being said, its either the phone, the os, or bad coverage. Just saying...
    06-03-10 11:53 AM
    or with any luck.... tower maintenance and or upgrade...

i'm pretty certain in my area, it's UMTA only, not HSDPA/HSPA/HSPA+

tethered, max speed is in the 300's kbps... sure sign of UMTS only... or completely pathetic backhaul capacity...
    06-03-10 12:01 PM
    When did you buy your phones?
    One was purchased in December of last year but has has been replaced 3 times for other issues. The other was purchased a month ago.
    06-03-10 12:03 PM
    One was purchased in December of last year but has has been replaced 3 times for other issues. The other was purchased a month ago.
    Did you ever get 3G with the 4 phones that you used since December?
    06-03-10 12:07 PM
    I got mine on release day in november.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 12:08 PM
    Tetherberry is faster.
    06-03-10 12:36 PM
    Tetherberry is faster.
    it's not, i've used it (called simply 'Tether' now) and it's not a significant difference...
    06-03-10 12:59 PM
    I have had some issues with my signal as well. When I first received my 9700 I had the strongest signal all the time, never loosing 5 bar strength. Then like someone flipped a switch I just lost all solid connection, dropping back and forth from 3G to edge ect. Called many, many times with no real help but the usual reset the network, battery pulls you get it. Took a ride to where in my area the towers are located, sure as heck they were working on the towers. I waited it out and in about 2 days my signal came back stronger then ever. Since then my signal has never been better. Then I read in TMO news that they are bringing their new stronger signal into my area and that is just what the problem was. Nobody from Tmo could or would tell me that I had to get the imfo elsewhere. Live in the suburb or Boston where they are currently bringing in their new 3.5 G signal. Very, very happy lately with my speed. Thank You T-Mobile........
    06-03-10 01:06 PM
    I don't know where they were doing their tests, but certainly not the case for me...

T-Mo showing decent speeds per the results... (although slowest latency (time to first byte)... but fastest max upload speed... and 3rd highest D/L speed...)

PC Mag Tests: AT&T has the fastest mobile network in the nation � Boy Genius Report
    06-03-10 01:24 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD