Both 9700's on my account are not working on the T-mobile 3G hetwork. I have done several troubleshooting techniques including activating new SIM cards, battery pulls, master resets and even upgrading and downgrading the OS.

The phone is fluctuating between SOS, X (no service) and low bars on egde, gprs and gsm. I've also called T-mobile technical support and they refuse to send replacements because the phone does work on the 2g network option.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I reside in the Metro Detroit area and am having problems at home, work and really everywhere.

I'm ready to throw this phone back at T-mobile and go to AT&T...
    06-02-10 10:54 PM
    Gotta ask,did you make sure you have 3G turned on and not 2G only?
    06-02-10 11:46 PM
    Yes.

Right now it ONLY works in 2G.
    06-02-10 11:50 PM
    Did you buy these through T-mobile or were they previously used on AT&T?
    06-03-10 12:07 AM
    Both were purchased through T-mobile.
    06-03-10 12:13 AM
    See if you can get them to do a diagnostic on your tower, once they fixed my local tower I get solid 3G almost everywhere I go, and I mean real 3G as in I can surf the net while on speakerphone and getting e-mail. No dropping to edge on calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 12:33 AM
    See if you can get them to do a diagnostic on your tower, once they fixed my local tower I get solid 3G almost everywhere I go, and I mean real 3G as in I can surf the net while on speakerphone and getting e-mail. No dropping to edge on calls.

Thanks! I will be calling tomorrow to ask for that.

And may I ask what exact area you live in?
    06-03-10 12:43 AM
    You should try a different 3G device to see if it's the 9700 or not.
    06-03-10 03:32 AM
    According to T-mobile this issue is only w/ the 9700.

I'd have to find someone w/ a T-mobile Droid phone. Those are the only phones on T-mobile other than Blackberry's that have 3G.

06-03-10 03:41 AM
    What OS are you running?

Did you check the coverage map with tmobile? You type in your address and it will tell you what type of coverage you get. If you're in a bad area, I would obviously suggest finding a carrier that has better coverage in that area.

login

(oh, and bb's and the android phone are not the only 3g phones on tmobile btw)
    Last edited by Pi Guy 3.14; 06-03-10 at 08:46 AM.
    06-03-10 08:44 AM
    One is running .586 and the other .656.

This is not a problem I'm ONLY having at home. Typing in zip codes (there would be several zip codes cause this is happening in SEVERAL places) wouldn't help. Also keep in mind these are places where both phones normally had PERFECT service at.

And thank you for the enlightenment on 3G phones w/ T-mobile. However, I'm really ONLY concerned w/ the blackkberry because that is the phone that I'm using.

06-03-10 08:56 AM
    Definitely get a different carrier. There is no sense of having these phones if you can't use them to their potential.
    06-03-10 09:03 AM
    Agreed!

AT&T is looking better and better everyday...

06-03-10 09:10 AM
    I had this same problem a week ago in Miramar Florida. T-Mobile has serious issues with their towers down here. Recently the phones went SOS and would only work if you manually set the Mobile settings to 2G. Then it would consistently stay on EDGE. I reported a tower problem and the following day all was better. In the Broward County area the 3G service is terrible, when it actually works its decent. But more times then not, the phone can never keep a solid 3G between calls. It throttles down to GPRS, then cycles backup to 3G when the call ends. When I am in Orlando, I get solid 3G performance with very little interruptions between tower hand offs. When my contracts are up I am done with T-Mobile, been with them for 10yrs and a big supporter, but this is just ridiculous!
    06-03-10 09:12 AM
    Keep in mind, At&t might not be any better.... You could just be in a bad area.

Good luck, hope you get it figure out so you can use these bad boys.
    06-03-10 09:13 AM
    If the 3G network goes down for 1 entire day I'll have to have a seizure too.
    06-03-10 09:41 AM
    I'm talking w/ some friends now and finding out that I'm not the only one experiencing this. A friend of mine has been having this problem for 2 weeks.

I'm giving T-mobile a week to resolve this. Luckily while I'm at home and school I have wi-fi. But after a week I'm gonna be threatening to leave them. I left Sprint because they're service SUCKED and now T-mobile sucks cause their 3G is down and this phone is the ONLY reason I came to T-mobile... *sigh...

@Projectile...Sounds like the EXACT same problem I'm having. I wish they could resolve as quick as they did w/ you. This has been going on for about 3 weeks here. It started off not so bad and has gotten progressively WORSE

06-03-10 09:52 AM
    Mine does the same thing. I want to smash this phone with a hammer. I will have 3 bars one second, sos the next second, I turn off the radio, turn it back on and 3 bars again... Until it randomly drops again. If you find a solution you will be a popular guy.

06-03-10 10:35 AM
    I'm starting to have issues with 3G with .586... not losing signal, but if I'm in WiFi/UMA, then go off and back to 3G when I leave the wifi area, data just does not work. Full bars. 3G. BB symbol (indicating BIS connection). But nothing. No web. No FB. No twitter. No emails. After like 30min-1hr, it seems like the data resumes, but often times I've had to do a reboot.

I'm going to update back to .680 and see if it resolves this glitch.
    06-03-10 10:40 AM
    Agreed!

AT&T is looking better and better everyday...

Don't my friend, I have t-mobile in detroit and get full bars almost everywhere while my friend has AT&T and is constantly borrowing my phone bcs calls keep dropping. I have a BB 8900 and now I am testing and unlocked iphone and I am ok. There areas where I get full bars on the iphone on t-mobile and he has no service.
    This must be a phone or software issue, make sure you get it fixed. The last resort would be to go to another carrier but AT&T should be your last resort, at least for now.
    Good luck.
    06-03-10 10:47 AM
    If the 3G network goes down for 1 entire day I'll have to have a seizure too.
    There is an App for that, LOL
    06-03-10 10:49 AM
    I'm starting to have issues with 3G with .586... not losing signal, but if I'm in WiFi/UMA, then go off and back to 3G when I leave the wifi area, data just does not work. Full bars. 3G. BB symbol (indicating BIS connection). But nothing. No web. No FB. No twitter. No emails. After like 30min-1hr, it seems like the data resumes, but often times I've had to do a reboot.

I'm going to update back to .680 and see if it resolves this glitch.
    Same problem here w/ one of the phones. I downgraded the one w/ .586 to
    .330 and it still didn't work. This is definitely a network error effecting only the 9700.
    06-03-10 11:14 AM
    Ok, well if thats the case, then its not tmobiles fault, it would be rims fault...

I don't think tmobiles towers discriminate against blackberry 9700's.
    06-03-10 11:16 AM
    Don't my friend, I have t-mobile in detroit and get full bars almost everywhere while my friend has AT&T and is constantly borrowing my phone bcs calls keep dropping. I have a BB 8900 and now I am testing and unlocked iphone and I am ok. There areas where I get full bars on the iphone on t-mobile and he has no service.
    This must be a phone or software issue, make sure you get it fixed. The last resort would be to go to another carrier but AT&T should be your last resort, at least for now.
    Good luck.
    Last night I put my SIM card into my old 8900 and got full bars as well. Their normal network is fine but 3G is not working. After talking to several friends of mine I'm finding out that SEVERAL people have been having 3G issues on their 9700's for MONTHS.
    06-03-10 11:17 AM
    Ok, well if thats the case, then its not tmobiles fault, it would be rims fault...

I don't think tmobiles towers discriminate against blackberry 9700's.
    If it's RIM fault then wouldn't it be effecting AT&T 9700's as well?
    06-03-10 11:18 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD