Hi there, I'm looking at getting a 9650 and I'll explain what I want to do and if anyone can weigh in on any of these please do as I am lost :S My plan is to unlock it, put my Rogers SIM card in it and have access to the new HSPA network soon to be completed in Thunder Bay, ON. What appeals to me about this phone is the ability to have HSPA at home, and access to 3G CDMA coverage in the US and be able to access either of Bell or Telus's CDMA or HSPA networks in Canada.

Some vendors are reporting that the 9650 will support 850/1900/2100 UMTS/HSPA. Is this correct?

If it only supports HSPA at 2100mhz, will it work? I am reading a lot of chatter and some seemingly reliable stuff about Rogers employing 2100mhz. Has anybody had more luck than I have in verifying this?

Will PIN/BIS work? I have heard that Blackberries activated on a network other than their home network have no PIN functionality. Is this true?

I am not concerned with the CDMA side of things, but I travel quite a bit and would really love to be able to get this phone and make it work.

Also, my friend has found a way to activate UMA on the 9700 and assumes he can on the 9650 as well. If I get it and it works, I will post info on how to do this.

I read this forum all the time and I would like to thank all the contributors for their help over the years... you guys rock and are the sole reason I didn't smash my first BB out of frustration and now love them
    05-20-10 03:24 PM
    the 9650 is a CDMA+GSM world phone, not a GSM+CDMA world phone... if you buy a 9650 retail (without a sprint contract) and simply install a SIM i would be concerned that you actually get the phone provisioned correctly.
    In addition, without a sprint contract you will not get CDMA coverage in the USA.. you will essentially be roaming on GSM with your SIM.

Be very careful.. you may not get 3G data using a SIM card with your carrier... and to be honest, given your circumstances you really should simply get the 9700
    05-20-10 03:42 PM
    how do we get the 3G data to work with an unlocked bold 9650 using a rogers sim card?
    05-22-10 07:32 PM
    You can't do what you want with this phone. 1.-Don't think you can get the phone right now without a Sprint contract. Haven't heard of one on ebay yet. 2.- You will not have access to any CDMA use in the U.S. 3.- You will need a contract with some carrier or the other to have access to BIS. 4.- Go to RIM's website and check out the freq. the phone is capable of using. I think you are wasting your time, like mystic said get a 9700.
    05-22-10 09:43 PM
    I'd assume this device will be run almost like a Sprint or Verizon Tour on the Rogers network. 3G won't work, so you would just be running on EDGE. So, this device will only work in Canada on Fido or Rogers... unlike the Bold 9700 that would work with Bell and Telus as well...
    06-14-10 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD