Not sure if this has been discussed but this weekend I realized I can see wen someone is writing a reply message during a SMS conversation. During a brief text conversation I noticed the "thought bubble" was green (which I hadn't seen before) and it appeared the other person was writing a message and then it turned from green and a SMS came through. As we talked back and forth this continued.

Is this something new with the 9650? Or has this been around for a while? Coming to the Bold from the 8330m I know I've missed quite a few changes with the more recent releases until now.

FWIW, the person I was texting with was on an iPhone.
    06-01-10 12:00 PM
    how soon after u saw green bubble did the sms come thru...if its instant this is normal as it lags...for some reason the bubble turns green before the actual sms coming thru...when u see that someone is writing a message is on bbm
    06-01-10 01:03 PM
    I noticed it to texting with my friend who just got a Curve 2 that I could see when he was typing. He said he couldn't tell if i was typing though.

Can't remember if it was SMS or BBM though, pretty cool feature though.
    06-01-10 01:03 PM
    I don't see it in SMS. Can you take a screenshot?
    06-01-10 01:20 PM
    On my Storm I see that with BBM messages but not text messages.
    06-01-10 01:36 PM
    Yeah I could very well be wrong, but I'm almost positive that is IMPOSSIBLE with text messaging...
    06-01-10 01:38 PM
    Don't think this is even possible, because sms data is only sent as a chunk when you send or receive and a constant data connection is not maintained.

The point of sms is to limit data use.
    06-01-10 01:40 PM
    Yes, this is not possible with SMS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 02:06 PM
    Had to be in bbm. I get it too.

06-01-10 02:26 PM
    I second that.i also get it on my yahoo messenger.when there texting me back it says "is typing message".
    06-02-10 10:05 AM
    does anyone understand that the person he was talking to was using an iphone? call me crazy, but i dont think iphones have bbm
    06-02-10 10:52 AM
    Couldn't have been SMS.. Not at all.
    06-02-10 12:45 PM
    I've been watching the SMS messages since then and the only time this green conversation bubble appears is when I am chatting via SMS with my friend on an iPhone?!

It definitely was not BBM....the green bubble would appear when I was in the SMS/MMS message folder looking at the list of messages in the folder.

The bubble goes green then goes white before the message comes in and then the bubble goes yellow to show an unread message.

ETA: Maybe I'll ask her if she uses some sort of App for her SMS messages.
    Last edited by NellieRose; 06-02-10 at 01:49 PM.
    06-02-10 01:47 PM
    Additionally, someone else has seen this green bubble although he doesn't mention what the cause was.

Re: SMS Icon meaning - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    06-02-10 02:04 PM
    I've seen the green bubble in an SMS chat. It appears when I type a text but don't actually send it.

06-02-10 03:22 PM
    I've seen the green bubble in an SMS chat. It appears when I type a text but don't actually send it.
    That's it! I just tried it...the phone must have been lagging and not sending the text out immediately and so it was showing the green bubble with a little pen icon even though I hit "Send" and returned to the main message list. The message would send a moment or two later and then go white and ultimately turn yellow when an incoming message arrived a moment or two later.

The weirdest thing is I have been trying to recreate this all day and it only happens with that one friend on an iPhone!

Thank you "happygirl"!
    06-02-10 03:34 PM

bingo.

10-char
    06-02-10 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD