The muffled sound has become increasingly annoying...after waiting over half a year, this may be a deal breaker for me.

Not to mention, even with full power cycling of battery, I am losing 20% of battery over 45 min of conversation...
    The battery must be conditioned through one to two weeks of use before becoming optimal. Its the same with any new phone.
    06-05-10 11:40 AM
    Also, the vibration on the phone is really low. I only keep my phone on vibrate but I can barely hear it when I have a new message/call.
    06-05-10 11:44 AM
    So, the "talk time" of the battery is 300 minutes. The drain you are seeing is just slightly above what would be normal. 60 minutes would be 20% drain, so to see it at 45 minutes, not horrendous. Unfortunately the new batteries arent made like the old ones were where they would last forever.

The muffled sound, is that on your end, or the person you are speaking to is hearing you muffled?
    well, its definitely on my end for sure. I call my parents/sister on ATT, muffled...I called my g/f on verizon (she has the pearl), muffled....I called verizon store to see if they had Bold in stock already (they do) so that I could compare, and the rep sounded muffled... the g/f indicates I sound muffled to her as well...(its much worse when enhanced audio mode is set to "normal" instead of "previous").
    06-05-10 11:46 AM
    Could be your device then, I have not read a bulk of complaints about it. Since you are under the 30 days, I would have them exchange it for another BRAND new unit, and give that one a shot.
    06-05-10 11:47 AM
    People mention flipping the SIM card over. The card has a corner cut which fits into a notch on the phone. will it hurt to flip it over and have that one corner raised where it sits over the notch in the phone body?

What about just taking the SIM card out? I'll NEVER use the phone on GSM.
    06-05-10 12:04 PM
    People mention flipping the SIM card over. The card has a corner cut which fits into a notch on the phone. will it hurt to flip it over and have that one corner raised where it sits over the notch in the phone body?

What about just taking the SIM card out? I'll NEVER use the phone on GSM.
    You can take it out. Many flip it over, so they will always have it with them for whatever reason. Taking it out will not harm the device in anyway though
    06-05-10 12:10 PM
    The new batteries DON'T have memory therefore do not need to be conditioned with the old 'charge and completely discharge' routine. Completely draining your battery can actually cause more harm than good. A good way to keep your battery running is to 'top off' whenever you're at work or in a car for 10 to 15 minutes.

It's also good practice to completely drain you battery once every 30 charges (so about once a month).
    06-05-10 12:13 PM
    Battery state of charge went from 100% to 85% within a span of 30-45 minute, during which, all I did was take a picture, and send it to a friend on BBM. No calls, wifi/bluetooth off. That's a substantial drain...I am thinking its the issue with #1.

I live pretty much in the heart of Atlanta, and have never had problems with signals. I've already tried *228.
    Do you have any apps that poll the Internet - like Twitter or a weather app, etc?
    06-05-10 12:28 PM
    Is it me just me, or the sound on the 9650 (not the speaker) sounds a bit muffled? I've made sure all "enhanced audio" options are disabled, which earlier was making me sound muffled to other people - but not anymore. However, they still sound bit muffled to me...
    You seem to be having so many problems with the phone! I suggest you just return it and get a new one from your local VZW store. Why continue tormenting yourself!

(I have not seen any of the problems you mention.)
    06-05-10 12:32 PM
    The new batteries DON'T have memory therefore do not need to be conditioned with the old 'charge and completely discharge' routine. Completely draining your battery can actually cause more harm than good. A good way to keep your battery running is to 'top off' whenever you're at work or in a car for 10 to 15 minutes.

It's also good practice to completely drain you battery once every 30 charges (so about once a month).
    I dont quite understand you say that you shouldnt, then you should drain it completely.

From everything that I have ever understood, a new battery should be charged COMPLETELY before use, then drained and charged for the first week, then after that it is always best to top it off. Since you can not over charge the battery you will not have to worry about that, but I do believe you still need to condition it in the beginning.
    06-05-10 12:38 PM
    You seem to be having so many problems with the phone! I suggest you just return it and get a new one from your local VZW store. Why continue tormenting yourself!

(I have not seen any of the problems you mention.)
    If I decide to stick with 9650, I will probably exchange it at the end...However, I will keep it for a week and fully evaluate other aspects of the phone. If these problems will go away with an exchange, I will do so end of next week, when my local verizon store will be stocking the phone. Otherwise, back to the Pearl I go, and back to the waiting game for the next best thing...
    06-05-10 12:52 PM
    Be wary of Verizon Wireless and the Blackberry Bold 9650! Ordered Bold on Wednesday night and recieved it Friday. After one hour with Verizon tech and three hours with RIM tech (Blackberry tech) they decided device was bad. Verizon tech made error in processing replacement. Called Verizon today and replacement order was cancelled. End result may not have replacement Smart Phone till Wednesday.
    06-07-10 08:11 PM
    Another issue I've noticed is with Bluetooth. I am using a Plantronics Pro Voyager. While the audio quality is generally subpar with bluetooth headsets, using Plantronics Pro with 9650 sounds really bad. The Plantronics Pro Voyager has been raved as being the best in sound quality, yet, even with Encryption, and Echo Control off, it sounds quite bad. With Echo Control enabled, it actually sounds metallic/monotonic. The other parties on the phone say that the sound has lot of white noise. This is with me speaking from my quiet bedroom.

Anybody else having issues with sound quality with their bluetooth?

I hope its only my particular phone that is having these issues...
    06-07-10 08:14 PM
    As I understand it, the complete drain/recharge was the way to run ni-cd batteries, but these are li-ion. Fully draining them is bad, which is why the device will shut off before reaching zero%. Fully charging them initially seems to help, and is recommended by everyone. And I have seen battery life improve after a few charge cycles. Whether this is the battery coming into its own, or the OS settling in and running more efficiently I don't know.
    What I have been told (by an expert? Who knows, its the net) is that the batteries are good for approximately 1000 full charge cycles, and it doesn't matter when you charge it. If you charge at 10% you get a little over 1000 charges, if you charge at 50%, you get 2000 charges, etc.
    When I read this, it made sense to me, so it is what I believe. YMMV

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 03:25 AM
    I'm on sprint and did the sim card flip last night for full signal to no bars and it looks like its helping.

06-08-10 06:11 AM
    I do this.... and have never had a battery issue with any phone or had to buy a new one either from wearing one out. When I get a new device I plug it in to charge and continue to play with it and get it somewhat set up while it charges.(who the heck wants to wait?) One should not drain an li-ion battery completely. There are many threads over the years on this topic. People obsess over their batteries and for little reason except probably based on mis-information. Top it off, by all means. Plug it in by 20% at the least and you should be fine. If you pull it off prior to a full charge don't worry , it won't hurt anything. People who insist they have a bad battery because it won't go for 2 or 3 days are from some other planet. Charge it every night, all night and you will have minimal issues and get the best use. Li-ion batteries are made for this type of charging. The old nickel-cadmium are the ones with the memory issues.
    Last edited by cbreze; 06-08-10 at 09:43 AM.
    06-08-10 09:40 AM
    As I understand it, the complete drain/recharge was the way to run ni-cd batteries, but these are li-ion. Fully draining them is bad, which is why the device will shut off before reaching zero%. Fully charging them initially seems to help, and is recommended by everyone. And I have seen battery life improve after a few charge cycles. Whether this is the battery coming into its own, or the OS settling in and running more efficiently I don't know.
    What I have been told (by an expert? Who knows, its the net) is that the batteries are good for approximately 1000 full charge cycles, and it doesn't matter when you charge it. If you charge at 10% you get a little over 1000 charges, if you charge at 50%, you get 2000 charges, etc.
    When I read this, it made sense to me, so it is what I believe. YMMV

+1........
    06-08-10 09:45 AM
    My battery life is ridiculous... I could easily go 3-4 days without charging.
    06-08-10 10:02 AM
    Another issue I've noticed is with Bluetooth. I am using a Plantronics Pro Voyager. While the audio quality is generally subpar with bluetooth headsets, using Plantronics Pro with 9650 sounds really bad. The Plantronics Pro Voyager has been raved as being the best in sound quality, yet, even with Encryption, and Echo Control off, it sounds quite bad. With Echo Control enabled, it actually sounds metallic/monotonic. The other parties on the phone say that the sound has lot of white noise. This is with me speaking from my quiet bedroom.

I had my phone hooked up to my Garmin Nav system via Bluetooth all weekend, used it multiple times throughout the weekend without problems or complaints. Both the connection and the sound were solid. I don't use BT headsets so I can't speak for those.
    06-08-10 10:12 AM
    [QUOTE=drm2blv;5200185]5) id suggest the seidio 1600mAh replacement for sure.

Will the extended 1600 or 1700 fit in the same space as the original battery? In other phones I've had I've always gotten the extended battery right off the bat and they were always slightly bigger (enough so that the extended battery came with it's own cover). This is my first BB so I'm not sure. I bought a case at the same time as the phone and I would hate to have to get another case because the extended battery was bigger in size.

Thanks!
    06-08-10 11:19 AM

my bluetooth was terrible on my kenwood dnx6960. it works great with my 8330 curve and great with my gf's new palm pixi but terrible with the bold. vzw tech tried to get it sorted out and bricked the phone. i'll get a replacement tomorrow and post how, or if, it works on bluetooth. doesn't make sense that the bt works good on the other phones and not with the bold.
    06-08-10 11:49 AM
    Anyone else having issues with App World programs not "compatible" with the Bold 9650? There are some that worked fine on my Curve 8330 and show that they work with the Bold lineup, but App World doesn't recognize my 9650.

What to do?
    06-08-10 11:54 AM
    [QUOTE=crzy4greys;5213955]
    5) id suggest the seidio 1600mAh replacement for sure.

Will the extended 1600 or 1700 fit in the same space as the original battery? In other phones I've had I've always gotten the extended battery right off the bat and they were always slightly bigger (enough so that the extended battery came with it's own cover). This is my first BB so I'm not sure. I bought a case at the same time as the phone and I would hate to have to get another case because the extended battery was bigger in size.

Thanks!
    Yes, the 1600 or 1700 mAh battery will work with the stock battery door, the 2600 has a bigger battery door. I use the 1600 and it works great...
    06-08-10 12:08 PM
    [QUOTE=SevereDeceit;5214143]

Yes, the 1600 or 1700 mAh battery will work with the stock battery door, the 2600 has a bigger battery door. I use the 1600 and it works great...

Thanks for the response!
    06-08-10 01:01 PM
    I do this.... and have never had a battery issue with any phone or had to buy a new one either from wearing one out. When I get a new device I plug it in to charge and continue to play with it and get it somewhat set up while it charges.(who the heck wants to wait?) One should not drain an li-ion battery completely. There are many threads over the years on this topic. People obsess over their batteries and for little reason except probably based on mis-information. Top it off, by all means. Plug it in by 20% at the least and you should be fine. If you pull it off prior to a full charge don't worry , it won't hurt anything. People who insist they have a bad battery because it won't go for 2 or 3 days are from some other planet. Charge it every night, all night and you will have minimal issues and get the best use. Li-ion batteries are made for this type of charging. The old nickel-cadmium are the ones with the memory issues.
    Bingo. Li ion batteries do not need to be conditioned and actually do well by keeping them topped off as much as possible. I always put mine on the charger overnight, every night.
    06-08-10 02:37 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD