Quick Question:

First, would you recommend either the Commuter or the Defender?

Second, for those who have experience with the Defender - a couple of questions:

1. Does the built in screen protector have an annoying glare?

2. Can a lot of debris get underneath that built in protector?

Thanks in advance for your time/help!
    06-24-10 03:24 AM
    I' ve had my Defender since Monday. No glare, nor does debris get under the screen protector. I am very satisfied that I purchased the Defender.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 05:19 AM
    This is my 2nd bb and 2nd defender. These are great. After over a year my other bb still looks new and that's working construction and in the fd,only place dirt can get under is where the track pad is. And that's minimal. Only downside for me is if you have to do a batt pull its not as easy

06-24-10 06:26 AM
    I like the defender. My only gripe really is the holster. I saw the storm 2 defender holster and like the way you can snap it into place like the seidio clip. With the 9650, it just drops down into the holster and there's definitely room for the phone to fly out in certain conditions as the "grab" isnt very strong in my view given the conditions it was designed for. The good news is that if it does fall, it'll most likely survive the crash

The bad news is that if it falls out without you knowing it, you may accidentally loose your phone.
    06-24-10 07:16 AM
    I would recommend the commuter personally.....I guess the question is what type of work do you do? I'm mainly in an office environment so I went with the commuter....great protection

06-24-10 07:57 AM
    The new bold defender for me is solid in the case. No slipping yet

06-24-10 08:01 AM
    Commuter and the Defender series are rock solid cases.. The defender is a little thicker but is the best over all protection.
    06-24-10 08:14 AM
    My Tour was in the Defender case since last Sept. I really did not notice any debris getting under the protector. I've since moved it to the Bold (yesterday) after filing the usb port opening a bit in the UP direction. I hike, bike and cross-country ski and want the added protection. I removed the spring-clip from the holster and just use it as a slip-case.
    06-24-10 08:20 AM
    I would recommend the commuter personally.....I guess the question is what type of work do you do? I'm mainly in an office environment so I went with the commuter....great protection

I am a teacher...so Commuter would surely be ideal under those conditions.

However, I do work outside during the summer..where I'm sure the Defender would serve me better.

Thanks for all of the info, it all helps. (I like spending $ - i ordered both early this morning haha)
    06-24-10 02:58 PM
    Wow...this case is rock solid. Probably over kill for the person in the office as opposed the person who works outside in a harsher environment. I agree with the above comments regarding the holster. Would be nice if it snapped in or was a bit more snug. Your blackberry could definitely fall out if the holster got turned sideways. This could happen if you didn't secure it to your waist or belt and instead clipped it on your pocket.

The fit for the new 9650 is perfect! (No this is not a 9630 Tour Case) All the holes (especially the mini usb port) line up perfectly and the rubber plugs fit flush. I'm using it with the 1700mAH Seidio battery which gives me a solid day of performance with everything running (WiFi, Bluetooth, Custom Theme, Berrymeter, Weatherberry w/hrly updates, AP news, Google Maps, BerryBuzz, BerryPopup, 6 email accounts, AddOnis, backlight dim off running 100% with 2 min on cycles and lots of SMS)

I also have a privacy screen protector on in addition to the covering provided by the Defender. No issues seeing the screen. Debated about not installing the keyboard covering but went ahead and installed it anyways. Spend the time to get the touchpad opening perfectly square otherwise your thumb will catch the lip of the the plastic covering. It's like a static plastic with a bottom tab with a right and left side tab. I found it best to fold over the side tabs first then the bottom one. The opening at the bottom of the phone for voice is not covered...looks close but it doesn't. You'll also have to spend the time to pull up the outer rubber covering to get it nicely in place.

Just waiting on my OtterBox Commuter to arrive with Seigio Spring Clip.

06-25-10 10:30 AM
    The rubber at the bottom of mine keeps trying to pull off when I take it out of the case. No big deal just a little ocd kicking in

06-25-10 10:35 AM
    I'm using the Tour version for my new Bold. I did file the usb opening a bit at its top to provide just a bit more room for the plug but the rubber gasket still fits fine.

Getting a new keyboard cover with the square opening might be nice. I may give Otter a call and see if I can order one. I had already enlarged the opening before since I felt I needed better access to the trackball on the tour so it works on the Bold, too.

Office job but I hike, bike and cross-country ski. Besides concrete and asphalt abound in in office/home/world environments. I did remove the spring clip so only use the holster as a slip case. Needle nose pliers can remove it without permanent damage.
    06-25-10 11:01 AM
    This may be a silly question, but not without merit...does the phone still fit in the front pocket of your jeans? And if it does, is it a pain to take out? I don't usually like skins on the phone because of the pain in the a55 it is to take out of my pocket.

If we still lived in the gangsta era my pants would be baggy as h3ll and it wouldn't matter... Sometimes I miss the nineties-early 2000s. WESTCOAST!! Ha!
    06-25-10 12:02 PM
    This may be a silly question, but not without merit...does the phone still fit in the front pocket of your jeans? And if it does, is it a pain to take out? I don't usually like skins on the phone because of the pain in the a55 it is to take out of my pocket.

If we still lived in the gangsta era my pants would be baggy as h3ll and it wouldn't matter... Sometimes I miss the nineties-early 2000s. WESTCOAST!! Ha!
    I don't believe it would fit in the front pocket of my jeans (Gap Standard) as they tend to be tight. It does however fit in the front pocket of my cargo shorts with no issues going in or coming out. Yeah West Coast....JINCO JEANS!
    Last edited by Nightthumper; 06-25-10 at 02:20 PM.
    06-25-10 12:08 PM
    As for sliding in/out of pockets, I think that the silicone rubber gets less tacky with age and so sticks less. It also tends to pick up less lint after a while.
    06-25-10 02:18 PM
    Wow...this case is rock solid. Probably over kill for the person in the office as opposed the person who works outside in a harsher environment. I agree with the above comments regarding the holster. Would be nice if it snapped in or was a bit more snug. Your blackberry could definitely fall out if the holster got turned sideways. This could happen if you didn't secure it to your waist or belt and instead clipped it on your pocket.

The fit for the new 9650 is perfect! (No this is not a 9630 Tour Case) All the holes (especially the mini usb port) line up perfectly and the rubber plugs fit flush. I'm using it with the 1700mAH Seidio battery which gives me a solid day of performance with everything running (WiFi, Bluetooth, Custom Theme, Berrymeter, Weatherberry w/hrly updates, AP news, Google Maps, BerryBuzz, BerryPopup, 6 email accounts, AddOnis, backlight dim off running 100% with 2 min on cycles and lots of SMS)

I also have a privacy screen protector on in addition to the covering provided by the Defender. No issues seeing the screen. Debated about not installing the keyboard covering but went ahead and installed it anyways. Spend the time to get the touchpad opening perfectly square otherwise your thumb will catch the lip of the the plastic covering. It's like a static plastic with a bottom tab with a right and left side tab. I found it best to fold over the side tabs first then the bottom one. The opening at the bottom of the phone for voice is not covered...looks close but it doesn't. You'll also have to spend the time to pull up the outer rubber covering to get it nicely in place.

Just waiting on my OtterBox Commuter to arrive with Seigio Spring Clip.

Thanks for the great pics and write up man - certainly very helpful.

I ordered myself a Commuter as well, just got it today. It will fit into a Seidio Spring Clip??
    06-25-10 07:22 PM
    Just ordered my Otterbox Defender. Check the price here!

Amazon.com: Otterbox Defender Case for Blackberry Bold 9650: Cell…
    06-25-10 08:09 PM
    Thanks for the great pics and write up man - certainly very helpful.

I ordered myself a Commuter as well, just got it today. It will fit into a Seidio Spring Clip??
    That's my understanding from several other threads on the subject in which pictures were posted. Hoping my Commuter arrives tomorrow.
    06-25-10 08:11 PM
    @nightthumper...
    Could you possibly post a link to direct me to one of those threads you mentioned? Thanks!

06-25-10 09:47 PM
    I went with the Defender, I've noticed no glare or debri accumulation, this is however more protection than an office worker need's, had I known they were $50.00 I would have passed and simply gone with the black rubber skin I have on my 8330. I am satisfied my only concern is this; will there be any discoloration or blemishes on phone once removed?
    06-25-10 09:59 PM
    @nightthumper...
    Could you possibly post a link to direct me to one of those threads you mentioned? Thanks!

Here you go on those links:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f77/ott...ctures-479659/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f77/bes...9650-a-487750/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f77/my-...r-case-487424/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f77/bold-9650-case-486990/
    06-26-10 05:29 AM
    Ok well I just got my 2600 battery and was ready to say goodbye to the otter box defender. But I am happy to find that if you leave the extended door off, it still fits. Not sure about long term but going to try it for now

06-26-10 04:25 PM
    The Otterbox Defender for the Tour and the Bold are the exact same cases. Look at the product numbers on Otterbox's website. The only difference is the plastic covering for the keys. I am using mine from my Tour, because I do not like using the plastic keyboard cover anyhow.
    06-26-10 07:00 PM
    I posted a separate thread on "semi lockup" which I think was caused by the Otterbox. This is an issue which cropped up with the original Tour case and today, it happened again. Now this case never caused any issues on the Tour but today, the Bold would not respond to a number of trackpad strokes or the left-right convenience keys. Once I messed with the rubber rand, it worked again.
    06-26-10 07:36 PM
    thanks again man..I did read in another thread that the clip from the Platinum Case/holster combo that Best Buy sells will work on a Bold 9650 with a Commuter Case on it..thats what ive got going now, and i love it...i start working outdoors on Monday and will probably try my Defender then.
    06-26-10 08:35 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD