06-04-10 08:26 PM
293 12345 ...
tools
    i've been thinking a lot about this lately, as have a lot of us, i'd wager. at first i was firmly in the "wait it out and get the evo or the 4th gen iphone if it comes to sprint" camp. especially after seeing the design changes, multitasking, etc. today though, it occurred to me - i have an ipod, wife has an iphone, and it takes a **** of a lot longer to do basic tasks on them. the blackberry has many flaws and is behind in many ways, but damned if i can't get things done on it very, very quickly. i think for that reason alone i'll be sticking with the bold 9650.
    I'm starting to feel the same way. I have an iPod that I rarely use. I have the Dial from Home Screen disabled on my BlackBerry. I use the short cut keys on the keypad to open up the basic applications on the BlackBerry I use daily. That, along with QuickLaunch, I can't get to things in a snap. In comparison to the Android devices, it's definitely not as impressive as them...for instance eye candy. My BlackBerry takes horrible pictures. The BlackBerry does have it's strong points, however. Being able to quickly copy and paste, being able to compose and send an Email just as fast as me sending a text message, and the wonderful AutoText feature which I use daily.
    I'm hoping they can get this WebKit browser up and running very soon. That's the one thing that BlackBerry is lacking on big time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 10:06 PM
    I will check out the Incredible when it is out at the local VZW store myself before making any decision. Hopefully by the time the Incredible is out...the 9650 would be announced too.
    04-21-10 10:23 PM
    I'll be trying the Incredible before the Bold 9650. I'm disappointed that the 9650 is a year in the making and all BB has managed to do is add a trackpad and wifi - both of which were widely available when the Tour came out. After a year, I would have expected something...ANYTHING!

Again, I'll try the Incredible and if I can't get used to it, I'll pony up the $35 and get the Bold.
    04-22-10 02:29 AM
    Have been wanting the 9650 , planned on getting that one for awhile now more unsure now, leaning more towards incredible but not totally ,lol
    04-22-10 05:30 AM
    I know I am revealing my ignorance here, but what do you mean by "I have the Dial from Home Screen disabled on my BlackBerry"? I am still learning about things I can do with my BB.
    04-22-10 07:27 AM
    I know I am revealing my ignorance here, but what do you mean by "I have the Dial from Home Screen disabled on my BlackBerry"? I am still learning about things I can do with my BB.
    You need to have the QWERTY keyboard to have that function. Its a shortcut way to call someone from the phone. Assign a letter on the keyboard for someone you call often, and just press and hold the key down to call them.

or theres an option to turn that function off, and assign keys for apps or something if you want
    04-22-10 07:36 AM
    Thanks for your response. I have a Storm right now, so I can't use that shortcut. But I am looking forward to getting rid of the Storm. I have been saving my $100 NE2 since last August, trying to decide what to get. It was a big mistake to get a touchscreen--I hate typing on it. I guess I am going to go with the 9650 when it is released.
    04-22-10 08:06 AM
    With a qwerty keyboard, I have it disabled so I can access apps quicker. I use applications more than I do for making phone calls.
    Once disabled I can access the following applications:

BlackBerry Dial From Homescreen disabled shortcuts:

Q - Compose SMS Text (requires QSMS application)

R - Alarm

T - To Do

U - Calendar

O - Options

A - Address Book

S - Search

D - Notepad/Memopad

F - Ringer Profiles

K - Lock Keyboard

L - Calendar

C - Compose SMS Text Message

V - View Saved Messages

B - Browser

N - BlackBerry Messenger

M - Message Box

M > C - Compose Email

You can add even more with the QuickLaunch application.
    I can open the QuickLaunch application from a side key (if assigned) or by pressing the Space Bar from the Home Screen.

04-22-10 08:11 AM
    Thanks for your response. I have a Storm right now, so I can't use that shortcut. But I am looking forward to getting rid of the Storm. I have been saving my $100 NE2 since last August, trying to decide what to get. It was a big mistake to get a touchscreen--I hate typing on it. I guess I am going to go with the 9650 when it is released.
    I know what you mean. I also had the Storms, but nothing beats the qwerty Blackberrys. Much easier to type on and navigate through unlike the touch screens
    04-22-10 08:11 AM
    I know what you mean. I also had the Storms, but nothing beats the qwerty Blackberrys. Much easier to type on and navigate through unlike the touch screens
    I, unfortunately, still have my Storm. Even though the screen falls out if I hold it face down (yes, I'm serious). I hate the damn phone and I cursed the day I would ever buy another touch screen... till I saw the Incredible.

I'm 75% Bold, 25% Incredible right now. The ease of typing on a physical keyboard is the key, but damn the Incredible does some great things. So I will likely play with both phones, and then decide.

Now, if I could possibly hold off till July then I could receive a $100 credit but it's awful hard keeping my screen in place when I'm on a phone call. That reminds me, I need to buy some super glue.
    04-22-10 08:46 AM
    yeah, give me a faster processor, more memory, and a better camera, and i'll pretty much be happy. once webkit comes out even more so. i don't need another computer. i watch videos on the computer, not my ipod, so i don't care about video. i have my ipod for podcasts and the like since i've yet to find an app that does podcast downloading without slowing down the curve. perhaps i'll have better luck with the bold.
    04-22-10 08:50 AM
    I, unfortunately, still have my Storm. Even though the screen falls out if I hold it face down (yes, I'm serious). I hate the damn phone and I cursed the day I would ever buy another touch screen... till I saw the Incredible.

I'm 75% Bold, 25% Incredible right now. The ease of typing on a physical keyboard is the key, but damn the Incredible does some great things. So I will likely play with both phones, and then decide.

Now, if I could possibly hold off till July then I could receive a $100 credit but it's awful hard keeping my screen in place when I'm on a phone call. That reminds me, I need to buy some super glue.
    Yeah I have the 9530 and HATE IT too. It has made me never want another touch screen phone, but I'm pretty sure its just the surepress that makes me hate the touch screen. But this phone alone has made me need physical buttons and since RIM has the best keyboards I am sticking with them. I often think that was RIMs plan for the storm, to make people hate touch screen phones and make them want a physical keyboard like their Bold and Curve.
    04-22-10 09:08 AM
    BOLD/TOUR2 for me...not sold on Android, YET.
    04-22-10 09:25 AM
    well... coming from a Nexus One - basically an incredible minus the optical pad and 8MP cam... and yes, I had it running with Sense UI even... (rooted).... the choice is simple... 9650

but hey, if you want to truly appreciate the 9650... get the Incredible first... it will be sweet for the first few weeks, maybe even month or two... then the novelty wears off and you'll be jonesing for a 9650... the simplicity, the efficiency... the battery life, the RF performance... (all of which SUCK on an android - I know - I suffered through it, in denial... )

This is EXACTLY right. I went through the exact same process with a Droid. You won't really appreciate the 9630/9650 until you use an android phone for a few weeks. The touch screen is great and the apps are fun for a while, but eventually, over time, you realize that the blackberry has so much substance to what it does well, that the joy of having a jack-of-all-trades in an Android phone fades and eventually becomes annoying. I just use an ipod touch for what I used to use the Droid for.
    04-22-10 10:07 AM
    This is EXACTLY right. I went through the exact same process with a Droid. You won't really appreciate the 9630/9650 until you use an android phone for a few weeks. The touch screen is great and the apps are fun for a while, but eventually, over time, you realize that the blackberry has so much substance to what it does well, that the joy of having a jack-of-all-trades in an Android phone fades and eventually becomes annoying. I just use an ipod touch for what I used to use the Droid for.
    I've had my Droid for months and never gave my BB a second look. It was actually opposite for me. Used a BB first and then realized that Android does everything like 100 times better. Never looked back and never will. My Droid is running at 1.2GHz and battery life gets me 12-16 hours daily.

BB and Android aren't for everyone.
    04-22-10 08:48 PM
    I too rode the "tour 2 bus" for quite some time. I was ready for a more powerful blackberry, stuck on sprint (although happily in every aspect except my phone,) and made a rash decision in upgrading to a HTC Hero.

Don't get me wrong, both Android and the HTC Hero specifically have their merits. The problem is the basics that BB does so much better than anyone else. If I had not been a BB user prior to moving to the HTC Hero, I would probably be fairly content, but after coming from the easy of messaging and simply dialing a phone call, I can't wait to go back to BB.

Hopefully when the 9650 drops I'll be able to get one, if not I may even find myself going back to a craigslist curve or tour.

P.S. If one is really looking to use their phone for entertainment only then android is pretty good at that.
    04-22-10 09:39 PM
    Posted this in my other thread, but thought some might find it helpful who are comparing the two:

My problem now is I just cannot decide between the Bold 9650 and the HTC Incredible.

The Incredible has been getting some "incredible" reviews:

Rated 4.5 out of 5

8.7 out of 10 - the HTC Droid Incredible takes pole position as Verizon's top smartphone and is now the Android device to beat....Not sure the Bold 9650 and going to be able to say that or even come close.

It is as if the Bold 9650 came out about 6 months ago, it could possibly rank near the top, but the competition has improved SO MUCH since then, the 9650 might just miss the mark...can we ask when next generation 9690 is due out?
    04-23-10 06:15 PM
    Please forgive my ignorance, I've been using a BB for as long as I can remember. Are the Droid, HTC Hero, Incredible, etc. phones geared toward those who use gmail and other Google apps?

I'm having a hard time finding a real answer to that question and as I don't use any Google apps (I know, but I just don't like Google), I'm not sure if any of those phones would be appropriate for me.

I'm 99% sure that the BB is for me (9630 now), I sync it with Outlook (on BIS). However, an updated OS for media and things like that sure does sound nice. My BB is used mostly for personal, but also for some business; I text and e-mail a lot, along with using the actual phone.

From what I've read, and if I'm understanding it correctly, phones like the Incredible don't sync with Outlook (yet). Is that correct?

Thanks for the help, it will help me decide if the Incredible is even worth looking in to for me.
    04-23-10 06:40 PM
    I keep saying, take the Incredible out into the sunlight and look at the screen. Then make your decision. If you use your phone in the sunlight, you will not be happy with the screen on the Incredible. The BB screen can be read easily in the sunlight. I just turn my back to the Sun and the BB works great, not the AMOLED screen phones yet. Only the Samsung Galaxy S can be seen well in the sunlight for Android and it is not out yet.
    04-24-10 12:30 AM
    still with the 'omg sunlight' thing. really gets old. just like the hardware inside this phone =P

if the only thing you can find wrong with the Incredible is it can't be seen in a bright sunlight, than i say the are doing a good job with the phone.
    04-24-10 03:01 AM
    i think its going to be personal preference.. I am similarly torn as the EVO is coming and it looks to even surpass the incredible in capability.

At least in my case i can find an answer... I am getting both!.. I currently have an aircard at $59.99/mo which i can cancel and get a second line for $40 with the EVO as my mobile hotspot..

Posted this in my other thread, but thought some might find it helpful who are comparing the two:

My problem now is I just cannot decide between the Bold 9650 and the HTC Incredible.

The Incredible has been getting some "incredible" reviews:

Rated 4.5 out of 5

8.7 out of 10 - the HTC Droid Incredible takes pole position as Verizon's top smartphone and is now the Android device to beat....Not sure the Bold 9650 and going to be able to say that or even come close.

It is as if the Bold 9650 came out about 6 months ago, it could possibly rank near the top, but the competition has improved SO MUCH since then, the 9650 might just miss the mark...can we ask when next generation 9690 is due out?
    04-24-10 06:35 AM
    still with the 'omg sunlight' thing. really gets old. just like the hardware inside this phone =P

if the only thing you can find wrong with the Incredible is it can't be seen in a bright sunlight, than i say the are doing a good job with the phone.
    actually, not being able to see the Screen on the Incredible when outside is a HUGE problem. If your like any normal person, you drive in a car with windows the the sun shines through, or have a convertible, go to the beach, work outside, at out door sporting events ect... then having a phone you can't use outside just turns into a paperweight until you step back inside away from the light. Someones trying to call you and you can't even tell whos calling you since you cant see the screen. Or when someone sends you a e-mail or text, you can't read it or respond to it since obviously the screen cannot be seen makes it a HUGE deal and a big flaw for Android. a phone that can only be used outside on cloudy days or inside a house makes it a very bad phone.
    04-24-10 07:19 AM
    No, No, No, and No so the Incredible should work perfect for me

If you have a convertible, you shouldn't be talking and driving at the same time. Nothing is more annoying than when people are at the beach, restaurant, sporting event and are using their phone...very impolite.

As the article mentioned, seems the HTC Droid Incredible takes pole position as Verizon's top smartphone and is now the Android device to beat...

If your like any normal person, you drive in a car with windows the the sun shines through, or have a convertible, go to the beach, work outside, at out door sporting events
    04-24-10 07:38 AM
    No, No, No, and No so the Incredible should work perfect for me

If you have a convertible, you shouldn't be talking and driving at the same time. Nothing is more annoying than when people are at the beach, restaurant, sporting event and are using their phone...very impolite.

As the article mentioned, seems the HTC Droid Incredible takes pole position as Verizon's top smartphone and is now the Android device to beat...
    so lets say your trying GPS Navigation then in your car with the Incredible, whats the point when you can't see the screen where your trying to get too? People use there phones outside all the time, to take pictures, videos, text message, web browsing ect... you can't do that on the Incredible

the point is, the phone was not made for the outdoors
    Last edited by mjbesen310; 04-24-10 at 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling error
    04-24-10 07:59 AM

Battery life (like with all HTC handsets) completely sucks... That's a major drawback for many that aren't always near a charger.

And the screen problem outdoors/in bright sunlight is a real one... Those who don't acknowledge are either in denial or have never used an Incredible/Desire/Nexus (all same screen with same problem)

Last edited by mi_canuck; 04-24-10 at 08:29 AM.
    04-24-10 08:26 AM
293 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD