Unfortunately, that is one of the main reason people are moving to smartphones over the old basic phones.
    I agree. Yet at the same time.....It's funny that everyone wants a great browsing experience, yet they don't use it as much as they should. When you see most people on their phone they're either texting, checking Email, using some sort of app, or playing games.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-10 10:02 AM
    I agree that the Incredible is a great device, but it seems to be geared more toward being a multimedia device.
    The BlackBerry is a better messaging device than the Incredible in my opinion.
    I'm able to quickly copy and paste text in Emails. You have to find a work a around in order to do it on the Incredible.
    I disagree. I can now copy and paste out of emails quickly. If I used the default HTC mail app instead of K9 it would be even quicker.

No IMAP subfolders or ability to retrieve older emails on BIS makes the BB the worst email device I have ever used. It just sucks when you really need something and you have to run to a computer.
    05-29-10 11:47 AM
    I think people overrate the usage of browsing on the web. Most people who use web browsing mainly use it for viewing websites that have a mobile version (e.g. ESPN, ABC, CNN) already and so it's not as imperative to have such a large screen. The only benefit to having a large screen is if you end up having to look at a website that doesn't have a specific mobile format, it's easier to see.
    All these assumptions are terrible.

If I get an email when I am not going to be near a computer for 14 hours from a supplier about a part I want, I can wire the money in a much shorter period of time thanks to having a browser on the phone that isn't garbage. This allows me to spend more time fielding customer phone calls or getting work done on the go.

Being able to make parts orders on the Incredible on a regular basis is amazing. It cuts down the amount of time it takes me to get things. I am not delayed an extra day because I have to wait until I'm at a computer again.

And I can also see that email with the same information, thus expediting future business with this company, for months, unlike on the bb where afte a month of heavy emailing I have to erase everything or else my device memory is full, without the ability to retrieve older emails.

There are millions of reasons why having a good browser is a key feature. Mobile versions of websites are missing content and often suck. The closer the phone is to being like my computer, the better.
    Last edited by l.a.rossmann; 05-29-10 at 11:53 AM.
    05-29-10 11:49 AM
    Guess that is what's great about having so many devices to select from and you get exactly whats important to you.

I disagree. I can now copy and paste out of emails quickly. If I used the default HTC mail app instead of K9 it would be even quicker.

No IMAP subfolders or ability to retrieve older emails on BIS makes the BB the worst email device I have ever used. It just sucks when you really need something and you have to run to a computer.
    05-29-10 11:50 AM
    Hopefully BB will address this issue in OS6.

All these assumptions are terrible.

If I get an email when I am not going to be near a computer for 14 hours from a supplier about a part I want, I can wire the money in a much shorter period of time thanks to having a browser on the phone that isn't garbage. This allows me to spend more time fielding customer phone calls or getting work done on the go.

Being able to make parts orders on the Incredible on a regular basis is amazing. It cuts down the amount of time it takes me to get things. I am not delayed an extra day because I have to wait until I'm at a computer again.

And I can also see that email with the same information, thus expediting future business with this company, for months, unlike on the bb where afte a month of heavy emailing I have to erase everything or else my device memory is full, without the ability to retrieve older emails.

There are millions of reasons why having a good browser is a key feature. Mobile versions of websites are missing content and often suck. The closer the phone is to being like my computer, the better.
    05-29-10 09:02 PM
    For those still compare the HTC Incredible and the Blackberry Bold 9650, here is one of the best comparisons I have come across:

RIM BlackBerry Bold 9650
    HTC Incredible

Bold 9650:

Pros

* Continues the Tour�s tradition of top-notch hardware and build quality
    * International roaming capabilities
    * Wi-Fi and optical trackpad are welcome upgrades

Cons

* Call quality could be better
    * This is just more of the same from RIM

Conclusion:

The Tour has been our favorite BlackBerry to date and the RIM BlackBerry Bold 9650 is a Tour with Wi-Fi, a trackpad and more memory� in other words, a better Tour. Still, we�re underwhelmed. The Tour offered significant advantages over its predecessors, namely the 8830, Curve 8330 and Bold 9000, but this new Bold is simply a refresh which adds otherwise standard BlackBerry features. Furthermore Sprint is currently asking $200 for the Bold 9650 on contract, a 100% premium over the outgoing Tour and a whopping four times the price of the very well endowed Curve 8530. Sure, the Curve�s display and keyboard aren�t as nice and the camera is lower spec�d, but when it comes down to it, the guts are pretty much the same. Let�s face it, a BlackBerry is a BlackBerry (unless it�s a Storm, in which case sorry about your luck.) We just can�t see people choosing the Bold over the Tour as long as the latter is available, and unless you need international roaming we don�t see people paying the $150 premium for a nicer keyboard and display over the Curve. Moreover, we shouldn't forget that the monstrous HTC EVO 4G is right around the corner. Of course, some would prefer the physical QWERTY of the BlackBerry, or would need its BES support, but as both handsets come at the same price we believe the Android-powered EVO 4G is a much more tempting offer overall. We�ve been saying this for what seems like years now, but BlackBerry is in a rut and now more than ever they need a device that is different to break them out of it. The BlackBerry Bold 9650 is just the latest in a string of good but boring offerings from RIM.

PA rating:

* Design 9.5
    * Display 7.75
    * Camera 7.5
    * Sound Quality 8
    * Battery 8
    * Connectivity 8.25
    * Multimedia 8.5
    * Organizer 10

Rating: Excellent; 8.5 out of 10

HTC Incredible:

Pros

* Stunning AMOLED display
    * Sense UI
    * Superior web browsing experience
    * Powerful speaker phone
    * Excellent calling quality

Cons

* Uninspiring design
    * Somewhat cheap feel
    * Lacking headphones in the box

Conclusion:

There were many incredible aspects that we were able to experience with the device that ultimately shows HTC's continuation in being a leader in the Android world. With two similar handsets already out on the market, the Nexus One and Desire, the Droid Incredible manages to follow suit more with the latter of the two. Unfortunately, the minimalistic design approach is the one glaringly eye sore that hinders the Droid Incredible to be elevated to a level beyond its brothers, and with the HTC EVO 4G on the horizon, it'll have a small window of opportunity to make its impact. Verizon customers are once again being treated to the best Android phone to hit the US market � easily supplanting itself as the premier offering on their lineup; even when the Nexus One finally arrives on the scene. In the end, Verizon and HTC will clearly make out well on both ends as they both become the driving forces for Android's ubiquitous appeal.

PA rating

* Design 6.5
    * Display 9
    * Camera 8
    * Sound Quality 8.5
    * Battery 7.5
    * Connectivity 9.5
    * Multimedia 9
    * Organizer 10

Rating: Excellent; 8.8 out of 10
    05-30-10 06:13 AM
    I agree. Yet at the same time.....It's funny that everyone wants a great browsing experience, yet they don't use it as much as they should. When you see most people on their phone they're either texting, checking Email, using some sort of app, or playing games.

This is true. I don't use the browser on my phone on a daily basis. I usually make calls, text, and use FB. I sometimes use emulators for gaming on it too. Then again, I'm always on my laptop whenever I'm home. When I'm out I use it at times.
    05-30-10 07:07 AM

Does it have the same copy and paste feature that is uses on the web browser?
    The copy and paste feature using the optical joystick doesn't cut it. Too slow and not accurate enough when trying to key in on certain words you would like to copy.

Also I'm able to retrieve older Email accounts on my BlackBerry. As long as they're GMail accounts. I can use the Remote search feature using the GMail BlackBerry Plugin, or I can use the GMail app for BlackBerry.
    Last edited by cdf3; 05-30-10 at 12:06 PM.
    05-30-10 12:03 PM
    I am sure the browser use varies alot, but nice to know when you need to use it, it doesn't take forever to load....hint, hint, hint to BB

This is true. I don't use the browser on my phone on a daily basis. I usually make calls, text, and use FB. I sometimes use emulators for gaming on it too. Then again, I'm always on my laptop whenever I'm home. When I'm out I use it at times.
    05-30-10 03:30 PM
    Hopefully that will be the case.

Enter Webkit?
    05-30-10 05:06 PM
    I copy and paste by starting where I want, tapping the screen, hitting select text, then tapping where i want it to end. That's in K9. It is not the same as the web browser, I wish it were.

In the HTC mail app, it is exactly as it is in the browser, which is beautiful. I far prefer it to the storm. But, the HTC mail app has no push, and won't allow me to connect with SSL or TLS to my outgoing mail server while outlook, thunderbird, k9, and evolution do, so HTC mail went into the trah post haste.

I don't use the optical joystick for anything. It's pointless.

Also I'm able to retrieve older Email accounts on my BlackBerry. As long as they're GMail accounts. I can use the Remote search feature using the GMail BlackBerry Plugin, or I can use the GMail app for BlackBerry.
    First the incredible is a toy, and the BB is for people who "use their phones to make money" and for "real businessmen"

Then the BB's email features are limited to third party free email services? My incredible will allow my real, self hosted business email address that goes to my domain to retrieve older emails from whatever folder I please.

I don't use gmail for my business email because it screams "I'm too cheap and ignorant to figure out how to set up my own domain and I work out of my basement." I'm not necessarily insulting every person out there with gmail, but I would not want that to be the only way I could retrieve older business emails.
    05-30-10 06:19 PM
    Well, I bought a Nexus One last week (AT&T) just because I got a little bored with my 9700 and wanted to try Android. And because I really wanted an unlocked GSM phone that I can take overseas with me and pop in a local sim. My impressions are as follows:
    The Nexus is a beautiful-looking device. It doesn't feel the least bit cheap in the hand and the colors on mine are bright and vibrant. The screen is an issue outside, but not enough to bother me. What does bother me is the battery life. I usually have to boot it up during the day because by 4 o'oclock it's almost dead. I have bought an extended battery for it which supposedly makes a huge difference. The other problem is the onboard keyboard. It is very quirky and hard to type on. Hopefully froyo will take care of that.
    Do I miss using my 9700? Yes! There's something solid and dependable about BB's, messaging is instantaneous, and the battery life on the 9700 is absolutely unbelievable. However, the screen is just small enough that I can't see details without my glasses, and the OS is a bore. I do plan to use both devices. Hey, there's nothing wrong with variety.
    Just my two cents, guys!
    05-30-10 06:56 PM
    I am sure the browser use varies alot, but nice to know when you need to use it, it doesn't take forever to load....hint, hint, hint to BB
    For me, I never use the default browser. Opera Mini and Bolt works great for me when I need to use a full HTML site. When I tested the Incredible in the store, some of my favorite sites I view in full HTML on my BlackBerry using Opera Mini actually loaded faster than the Incredible. Can't say for all sites I'm speaking only about the sites I visited to compare speeds.

05-30-10 07:15 PM
    Bolt's fonts are disgusting. I am surprised they let it out even in beta form looking like that.
    05-30-10 08:26 PM
    I love BlackBerries but I just cant get over the web browser. Web browsing on Android is like using a laptop. I can even log into school on the go and use BlackBoard.

When it comes to email Im starting to think that Android beats BlackBerry. No more truncated emails, and TRUE html email. While Android only does push Gmail and Exchange, you can have other emails checked every 5 minutes which is fine for most other email. Really I dont see how BlackBerry has much of an advantage over Android when it comes to email.
    05-31-10 10:52 AM
    BB definitely has some catching up with their browser..hopefully OS6.

I love BlackBerries but I just cant get over the web browser. Web browsing on Android is like using a laptop. I can even log into school on the go and use BlackBoard.

When it comes to email Im starting to think that Android beats BlackBerry. No more truncated emails, and TRUE html email. While Android only does push Gmail and Exchange, you can have other emails checked every 5 minutes which is fine for most other email. Really I dont see how BlackBerry has much of an advantage over Android when it comes to email.
    05-31-10 03:10 PM
    BB definitely has some catching up with their browser..hopefully OS6.
    This is true but I think other companies are even starting to beat RIM at their own game, messaging. As far as Im concerned email is better on the Android. The "HTML" email on BB is a joke compared to Android/iPhone OS. Also they can do push Exchange mail without the need of BES. Text/MMS messaging is superior on Android/iPhone OS now. Of course RIM has BBM but with iChat coming and Google Talk that gap is closing. About the only thing RIM has on either is push Yahoo/MSN/Livemail,etc etc but Android can fetch that every 5 minutes so really its not much of an advantage.
    05-31-10 03:55 PM
    Yeah, they definitely have their work cut out for them.

This is true but I think other companies are even starting to beat RIM at their own game, messaging. As far as Im concerned email is better on the Android. The "HTML" email on BB is a joke compared to Android/iPhone OS. Also they can do push Exchange mail without the need of BES. Text/MMS messaging is superior on Android/iPhone OS now. Of course RIM has BBM but with iChat coming and Google Talk that gap is closing. About the only thing RIM has on either is push Yahoo/MSN/Livemail,etc etc but Android can fetch that every 5 minutes so really its not much of an advantage.
    05-31-10 04:02 PM
    So the Incredible which has been out for how long now, is still going to cost $199, yet the new Bold 9650 has been cut to $149????
    06-02-10 12:16 PM
    I think we'll see blackberrys back in the hands of corporate users and the regular consumer will be adopting other platforms. It has been said that Android will surpass Iphones and blackberrys and giving what i am seeing in the market place i have to agree.
    06-02-10 03:32 PM
    I for one will be jumping over to the Incredible. Tour/Bold is nice yet lacks appeal of a NEW smart phone, hence the $149.99 price tag. Incredible on the other hand tends to be a fresh and new product that RIM has failed to deliver.I will miss the BBM and email that Blackberry is known for, yet the 50,000+ apps and 8gb internal memory to name a few, leads me to the other side. Hope all is well with the new Bold for all who have waited.
    06-02-10 03:37 PM
    I had an N1 and really liked it. I continue with bberrys because emailing is all i do and bberrys still are the best at it. Best of luck with your droid!
    06-02-10 03:41 PM
    Hi everyone,

I just gave up my verizon droid and ordered a 9650 in a verizon store today. Yup, I paid $500-the full retail price. why??? The bottom line is that iphone/android/app phones are more for entertainment. My droid's battery was always running low. It has been impossible for the last several months to type an email longer than 15 words without giving up until I got to my laptop or desktop pc. yes, it's fun to surf the web with a full touchscreen. but even with blackberry's outdated browser all I need to see is the headlines. I don't need to see each and every ad on every single web page. As for the video, the youtube videos were very grainy. and the music player is just like any other blackberry. Itunes? who cares? it's not that great of a music organizer anyway.

I was playing with the tour in the verizon store today. I used to own a bb curve on verizon. it felt like i was home again. the operations, the keys, the shortcuts, the menus, the KEYBOARD!!! it was heaven to my fingers. I talked to the sales rep. he said his tour had everything: good battery life, good calling, great keyboard, and EVEN apps that were the most essential ones. this means not every nonsensical app like the apple app store has. for example I don't need an app that mimics a "beer foaming" when I turn the phone on its side? (rolls eyes)

the choice is clear my friends. Apple, RIM, Android can only devote their energies to a few fundamental things. For now its either to productivity, battery life, ease of communication or you devote it to websurfing, videos, cameras, and a "fancy" touchscreen. Maybe someday a phone will do it all. someday...

best,

M22

ps - this article sums up all my reasoning for my change from a droid back to a bb:

CrackBerry Kevins Hierarchy of Smartphone Needs | CrackBerry.com
    06-03-10 08:56 PM
    Still confused on why you would pay the 500 bones for this phone, no way to bring it down at all? Hope it works out well for you.
    06-03-10 09:28 PM
    Hi everyone,

I just gave up my verizon droid and ordered a 9650 in a verizon store today. Yup, I paid $500-the full retail price. why??? The bottom line is that iphone/android/app phones are more for entertainment. My droid's battery was always running low. It has been impossible for the last several months to type an email longer than 15 words without giving up until I got to my laptop or desktop pc. yes, it's fun to surf the web with a full touchscreen. but even with blackberry's outdated browser all I need to see is the headlines. I don't need to see each and every ad on every single web page. As for the video, the youtube videos were very grainy. and the music player is just like any other blackberry. Itunes? who cares? it's not that great of a music organizer anyway.

I was playing with the tour in the verizon store today. I used to own a bb curve on verizon. it felt like i was home again. the operations, the keys, the shortcuts, the menus, the KEYBOARD!!! it was heaven to my fingers. I talked to the sales rep. he said his tour had everything: good battery life, good calling, great keyboard, and EVEN apps that were the most essential ones. this means not every nonsensical app like the apple app store has. for example I don't need an app that mimics a "beer foaming" when I turn the phone on its side? (rolls eyes)

the choice is clear my friends. Apple, RIM, Android can only devote their energies to a few fundamental things. For now its either to productivity, battery life, ease of communication or you devote it to websurfing, videos, cameras, and a "fancy" touchscreen. Maybe someday a phone will do it all. someday...

best,

M22

ps - this article sums up all my reasoning for my change from a droid back to a bb:

CrackBerry Kevins Hierarchy of Smartphone Needs | CrackBerry.com
    OK haha, I don't know if you really have a droid or not, I'm going to guess your lieing. Youtube videos aren't grainy at all, in fact they look great. I understand you feeling "at home" with your blackberry, but apps go far beyond the beer show off crap. There's also tons of useful stuff on there that can turn your phone into pretty much anything, thats the whole idea behind a platform with a lot of applications. "Fancy Touchscreen??" Sounds to me that your just not smart enough to figure out how to actually use the phone correctly....
    06-03-10 09:32 PM
293 ... 9101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD