So long story short, looking to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Looking at picking up a Bold 9650 for service on CSpire, formerly Cellular South. All of the models they sold were unlocked, in fact all of their GSM Blackberries are unlocked.

Company line with BIS through CSpire, personal line with BBM/t-zones on T-Mobile. I currently have a Tour, works well enough all things considered. This is not a power user device. The problem is that the Tour 9630 has a REALLY subpar GSM aerial in it and the GSM reception flat out stinks. Think 2-3 bars less that a 9810 and 8820 sitting next to it.

My question is if anyone has had any experience with both the 9630 and the 9650 that has used GSM on both and can attest to GSM performance between the two. Also, if you can have any input with the 9930 GSM performance, that would be a plus as well, since CSpire also sells the 9930.

Lastly, I don't think its possible, but worth a shot to see if anyone figured it out after all these years, but if anyone figured out enabling UMA on the 9650, you would be a very dear friend of mine. I tried to do due diligence searching the forums, but came up empty on anything pertaining to this subject. Hoopefully a few people still check the 9650 forum. Thanks in advance.
    07-02-13 08:51 AM
    So long story short, looking to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Looking at picking up a Bold 9650 for service on CSpire, formerly Cellular South. All of the models they sold were unlocked, in fact all of their GSM Blackberries are unlocked.

Company line with BIS through CSpire, personal line with BBM/t-zones on T-Mobile. I currently have a Tour, works well enough all things considered. This is not a power user device. The problem is that the Tour 9630 has a REALLY subpar GSM aerial in it and the GSM reception flat out stinks. Think 2-3 bars less that a 9810 and 8820 sitting next to it.

My question is if anyone has had any experience with both the 9630 and the 9650 that has used GSM on both and can attest to GSM performance between the two. Also, if you can have any input with the 9930 GSM performance, that would be a plus as well, since CSpire also sells the 9930.

Lastly, I don't think its possible, but worth a shot to see if anyone figured it out after all these years, but if anyone figured out enabling UMA on the 9650, you would be a very dear friend of mine. I tried to do due diligence searching the forums, but came up empty on anything pertaining to this subject. Hoopefully a few people still check the 9650 forum. Thanks in advance.
    At this point, if I was upgrading, I would recommend the 9930 over the 9650. GSM side was reputed to be a bit iffy on the 9650,as well, it was only a partial evolution from the Tour (and I had one of those). The 9930 was a substantial move up, and I've seen comments that it's GSM performance was pretty good, by comparison.

Add to that you get more real estate to look at, much faster start up, and more memory to play with, you'd be better off in the longer run, and probably a lot happier with your phone. The only semi-drawback is the fixed-focus camera on the 9930, which there have been a ton of complaints about, but is still decent for general shooting.

If anyone else has some feedback, I'm sure they'll add their 02. Good luck with whichever choice fits the best!
    07-02-13 09:27 AM