My Bold works best set to the Verizon Wireless Network. But when I switched a Tour for a Bold my programs had to be manually reinstalled therefore requiring A LOT of resets.
    Soft or hard, it asks if I want it to use a CDMA Network if available at start up, I always check No, but it goes to CDMA mode anyway.
    I wouldn't care but it seems like CDMA doesn't find the towers as well as if it'a set to Verizon.
    Yes, I know easy solution-don't restart-lol. But sometimes I have to switch batteries mid day if work is busy.
    Anyone know how to save what you selected?
    Many Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-10 07:50 AM
    If are running on Verizon, a CDMA network, setting your network to anything else will not make a difference because the 9650 is a CDMA phone.

09-20-10 09:57 AM
    My Bold works best set to the Verizon Wireless Network. But when I switched a Tour for a Bold my programs had to be manually reinstalled therefore requiring A LOT of resets.
    Soft or hard, it asks if I want it to use a CDMA Network if available at start up, I always check No, but it goes to CDMA mode anyway.
    I wouldn't care but it seems like CDMA doesn't find the towers as well as if it'a set to Verizon.
    Yes, I know easy solution-don't restart-lol. But sometimes I have to switch batteries mid day if work is busy.
    Anyone know how to save what you selected?
    Many Thanks.

yeah the 9650 is a CDMA phone, it will do it everytime... VZW is CDMA as stated... are you more refering to like 1x vs 1X EVDO or something?
    09-20-10 10:00 AM
    Yes, you're right about the phone's global capability. You know it's something I don't use so I haven't bothered to learn much about it other than it's available if I leave the US. Maybe I need to understand that first??
    But I do seem to get a better data signal when I switch bach to 1XEV.

When I set up the Bold, the tech support guy at Verizon said to keep it on 1XEV to get the best phone (call) reception signal.

Reception was a terrible problem with the Tour which required countless hours on my part to get replaced. FOUR Tours since January 10, 2010, all with the same problems, including: very poor cell reception.
    It was obvoius that the Tour was the issue, not the carrier. I had a Curve 8330 prior on Verizon and I could talk anywhere. Even while flying at 25,000 feet (I forgot to disable the Auto On-Off setting and my phone started ringing). Boy did I get a **** chewing froma flight attendant who heard it ring.
    Sprint was a better value but not the same reception. At least where I live and one other state I travel often to.

Anyway I've had the Bold for 4 days and it works! I just don't want to have to remember to change a setting everytime I change the battery. There has to be a way around that or maybe it doesn't effect the phone signal at all? I want to make sure I have the settings correct.

I know you can hit Alt, Cap, Right Shift and reboot without a battery pull; however, when I did that with a Tour, I was seeing a Program Error message before it shut off but it was too small and so brief I couldn't make out the messaage. Then sometimes it would just shut down and reboot on it's own. That really sucked when I was on a business call.

Sorry didn't mean to make this my life story but people wonder why I care so much about having the phone on the most effective settings, 9 months of paying for misery will do that.

Now I have another question. I don't want to mess up the Bold (hence no apps transferred via the DM's Device Transfer Wizard, too many "Fatal Errors" when I tried) so I was wondering if you do the "soft" reboot, in which you do not remove battery, can that cause problems for the phone or is it a function meant to be used with Blackberries??

Typically I only pull the battery when I need to swap out batteries but the soft reboot is helpful when you're just installing an app.

Oh and I should ad that I have backed up my phone (which used to include my settings) 11 times but no luck on the CDMA issue if that battery comes out.

Thanks so much for any help/suggestions. I really appreciate it!!
    09-20-10 11:44 AM
    Assuming you do not travel overseas frequently (I don't) one thing I have done is flip my SIM card around (leaving it in the holder but facing out) so that the phone does not read the SIM. This results in the phone automatically going to the CDMA network without that annoying pop-up at reboot. Some claim that you also get better reception (unconfirmed) but even if it stops the pop-up it is worth it for me.
    09-20-10 12:51 PM
    Thanks for the advice about the SIM card. I had heard to "reset" or improve your signal, you should take out the battery as well as remove and re-insert the SIM card. I wondered why that mattered but I see I'm not the only one who heard that it did something. In my case, it did fix an issue on my Tour where the radio was turning itself off. Didn't help the signal but solved the other issue.

OK thanks I didn't know I could put the card in backwards to stop seeing that pop up. Going to try it on the Bold now
    Thanks again!
    09-20-10 03:30 PM
    it asks if I want it to use a CDMA Network if available at start up, I always check No, but it goes to CDMA mode anyway.
    it's SUPPOSED to do that. you can't use the GSM function of your phone here. period.
    09-20-10 05:18 PM
    OK I think I'm getting it now. To answer one question, yes I'm referring to 1XEV. That gets changed upon a battery pull to CDMA.
    But it sounds like that shouldn't matter with regards to data speed and I should not worry about it. I also have it set to automatically select the network.
    It sure was easier with the Curve 8330, there weren't many options-lol.
    Thanks for helping a BlackBerry "illiterate" understand how the added technology is supposed to work

09-20-10 05:52 PM
    It will work fine set to global, but many claim battery life is best on 1XEV.

09-20-10 06:12 PM
    Thanks all I have learned a lot about CDMA since I asked this question. I appreciate you taking time to answer my questions!
    Now if I could find someone to pay my monthly bill-JK!!
    09-21-10 09:04 AM
    Thanks all I have learned a lot about CDMA since I asked this question. I appreciate you taking time to answer my questions!
    Now if I could find someone to pay my monthly bill-JK!!
    thats what what we are here for!

dont be scared to ask more questions as you have them, but the search feature on this forum is GREAT AS WELL!
    09-21-10 09:12 AM
    it's SUPPOSED to do that. you can't use the GSM function of your phone here. period.
    Yes you can, provided it's unlocked.
    09-21-10 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD