This is fairly standard practice. Generally speaking if you buy a car and have a couple thousand dollars in rebates, you still get taxed on the pre-rebate price.
    I never said this was an anomaly. I know this happens often. Doesn't make it any less crappy though.
    06-03-10 08:24 PM
    That does suck... I'm in CA and am moving... Let's just say it's somewhere with wide open spaces!
    06-03-10 08:41 PM
    I'm suddenly feeling lucky to live in Vegas right about now. Aside from our outrageous concert ticket prices! ....And the heat. I hate the heat.
    06-03-10 10:51 PM
    question

I live in oHIo but am on vacation in Alaska
    they have no sales tax here, could I buy it ( order it from a store )here in Alaska and have it shipped to oHIo and save the tax ? Anyone have a clue

BTW I have been here for 5 days and have not seen a Verizon store.
    06-03-10 10:59 PM
    All this Cali bashing...sheesh. My wife and I are from the midwest and now live nestled in the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains. We will never go back! A couple % extra doesn't even register when compared to what we have now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 01:59 AM
    Let them bash it. Maybe then people will stop moving here so traffic won't suck so bad...

06-04-10 02:44 AM
    OR one can just take a road trip to Vegas, get a buffet in and some gambling. Then go to best buy and get the phone without a rebate and ditch this ridiculous CA tax.
    guess again. i'm in las vegas. tried it here and got nailed for tax at the full retail price (599.99) plus was told about a $18 activation fee
    06-06-10 09:37 PM
    guess again. i'm in las vegas. tried it here and got nailed for tax at the full retail price (599.99) plus was told about a $18 activation fee
    No way. When did this start? I was able to do this a few years back when I upgraded my dad's verizon phone last time...was getting ready to upgrade at best buy in a few weeks with my sprint account too...
    06-07-10 12:11 AM
    i'm not sure honestly, that's what the guy at the rainbow/lake mead store said. I feel leary right now, wondering if the best buy deal is a better one then the site now. Just feel irked I have to battle with sprint to get rid of the stupid $18 activation fee. For someone wanting a new phone, I hate talking on the phone... oxymoron

mainly I text/surf the web with it
    06-07-10 12:37 AM
    That's kinda weird...I live in CA but I didn't have to pay any tax when I ordered the phone online. It was exactly $149.99. Before check out I was thinking to myself damn, I have to pay tax too...but that was the final price. What's up with that?
    06-07-10 02:49 AM
    Well it seems like the same price, 179 at BB with an 18 dollar activation fee or 199 at sprint, no activation fee.

Only difference then is the fact that you aren't paying 100 dollars more up front, then waiting on Sprint to send that 100 back to you in a check.
    06-07-10 02:50 AM
    That's kinda weird...I live in CA but I didn't have to pay any tax when I ordered the phone online. It was exactly $149.99. Before check out I was thinking to myself damn, I have to pay tax too...but that was the final price. What's up with that?
    What online store? This is interesting...
    06-07-10 02:51 AM
    What online store? This is interesting...
    From VZ online
    06-07-10 02:14 PM
    All this Cali bashing...sheesh. My wife and I are from the midwest and now live nestled in the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains. We will never go back! A couple % extra doesn't even register when compared to what we have now.

California blows a big one. So do all the Californians who have been flooding into AZ for the last 10 years.
    06-07-10 04:10 PM
    Ah hah, one person that we don't have to worry about adding to congestion, or if you are here, hopefully you will be headed North or East shortly.

California blows a big one. So do all the Californians who have been flooding into AZ for the last 10 years.
    06-07-10 05:57 PM
    So just ordered the 9650 online with NE2, got it for $49.99 plus had to pay a tax of $44.62! They're sub note states that California tax is based on the full retail value of $509.99! WTF!??

I hate this state more and more....and we're still in massive debt
    I feel your pain...same thing happened to me.

WTF, is right!!!!!!
    06-07-10 06:32 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD