The Bold 9000, the Bold 9700 and I think the Bold 9650 all have the 624 MHz processor, so same speed.
    Nope, not true. The Bold 900 and 9700 may have the 624 MHz, but the 9650 is RUMORED (Since who really has one anyway right now) to have a 528MHz. Same processor as the Storm 2. That's what Ive been reading right here on CB.

Hence my original comment. The Bold 9700 has a faster processor.
    04-29-10 04:43 PM
    jaydee, PhoneScoop has reported that it has a 624 MHz processor, too. In one of the other threads, someone had e-mailed the person there and he or she said that they spoke with someone at WES to confirm. Unfortunately, we don't know how true any of this is.

Research In Motion BlackBerry Bold 9650 Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/pr...93/index6.html (look at post 77 for the e-mail discussion)

<bottom link is not working for me. Look for musicman4454's "processor" thread, post 77>
    Last edited by StarTraveler; 04-29-10 at 05:02 PM.
    04-29-10 04:50 PM
    Those two are totally personal preference.

So you list looks more like this

battery life: 9700 > 9650
    memory: 9700 < 9650
    Extended Life Seidio Battery 2600mAHR makes them equal. Oh, except for the memory thing, which is HUGE!
    04-29-10 05:16 PM
    i was on the Blackberry site comparing the 9700 to the 9650, and the only superior feature that the 9700 has over the 9650 is battery life. Everything else is pretty much the same.

So why am i saying the 9650 is better than the 9700?

Two words: World Phone.

That's right. The 9650 is keeping the amazing feature of being a world phone, unlike the 9700, which does not have this capability.

Another reason: 9650 is both CDMA and GSM compatible.

Again, 9650 blows the 9700 out of the water because 9700 is only GSM. 9650 can do both.

Conclusion: Who cares about the battery life. World phone and dual cell technology make the 9650 worlds better than the 9700 in my book. Not to mention that double-up in on-board and flash memory to a nice 512MB.

Your opinions are now being read...
    Umm do you even know what on earth a world phone is???
    A world phone works on all GSM networks, it has nothing to do with CDMA.
    Every country in the world has atleast 1 GSM network, and the 9700 supports every GSM network, including 3G. So 9700 is a world phone.
    The tour's CDMA will only work in the US, in other countries to make it work you have to call the CDMA provider and ask them to do stuff with your ESN, im not too sure about that.

Just look at the 9700, it even looks much better in most people's opinion.

I probably will still be buying the 9650 because its f'in cheap on Sprint.
    But it will def be a compromise from the 9700.
    Last edited by pranay91; 04-29-10 at 06:15 PM.
    04-29-10 05:23 PM
    Just look at the 9700, it even looks much better in most people's opinion.
    I prefer the look 9650 and like the feel of the slightly larger and slightly heavier Tour, but I have large hands and long fingers.
    I also consider my opinion to be the same as most people's.
    04-29-10 05:31 PM
    ...Every country in the world has atleast 1 GSM network...
    If you check gsmworld.com, there are a few countries where they do not claim coverage (but see update in post below), and there is better claimed CDMA coverage than GSM coverage in parts of South America, Africa, and Asia, but getting hooked into those CDMA networks doesn't sound easy. There are quite a few countries where CDMA has no coverage at all, particularly in parts of Europe and Australia.
    Last edited by StarTraveler; 04-29-10 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Referencing post below for additional info.
    04-29-10 05:43 PM
    Those two are totally personal preference.

So you list looks more like this

battery life: 9700 > 9650
    memory: 9700 < 9650
    but this isn't:

UMA: 9700 > ______*

*that's right, 9650 doesn't do UMA
    04-29-10 05:52 PM
    PS - I fail to recognise any non-UMA 9700's as *true* 9700's

(at&t - suck it)
    04-29-10 05:54 PM
    pranay91, I apologize, the map at gsmworld.com may be out of date. I checked several countries that did not show gsm coverage on the map, but there is at least some claimed coverage in each of them, so you may be correct on every country having a GSM network.
    04-29-10 05:55 PM
    upon clicking the 'approximate battery life' link/pull-down in the above link/table, it becomes obvious how sucky the 9650 battery life is compared to the 9700....
    04-29-10 06:01 PM
    pranay91, I apologize, the map at gsmworld.com may be out of date. I checked several countries that did not show gsm coverage on the map, but there is at least some claimed coverage in each of them, so you may be correct on every country having a GSM network.
    Yes actually I claimed that because I read a news article once which said literally every country in the world has GSM networks.
    04-29-10 06:21 PM
    The 9650 falls short of being better then the 9700 sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 06:40 PM
    The 9650 falls short of being better then the 9700 sorry.

not quite

double the memory of 9700
    open GL

the 9650 has stronger specs then the 9700, then ofcourse the 9700 also has its pluses, one being a bigger battery ... both phones are better then each other in different ways
    04-29-10 06:48 PM
    Why is double the memory such a big deal?

04-29-10 06:55 PM

and openGL?
    04-29-10 07:29 PM

more memory makes the OS run a lot smoother and faster... more apps a lot to download into the phone without worrying about slowing down the phone at all.

open GL is also good for 3D games and what not.. not sure since I never had a phone with open GL before
    04-29-10 07:37 PM
    I understand why everyone feels the need to compare the two devices, but is there really a point to it? It would be different if CDMA customers had the option of the 9700, and GSM customers had the option of 9650 but that's not how it is, unfortunately. 9700 is best for AT&T/T-Mobile/etc., and 9650 is the best for Verizon/Sprint/etc. You get what you can.
    04-29-10 07:48 PM
    If you check gsmworld.com, there are a few countries where they do not claim coverage (but see update in post below), and there is better claimed CDMA coverage than GSM coverage in parts of South America, Africa, and Asia, but getting hooked into those CDMA networks doesn't sound easy. There are quite a few countries where CDMA has no coverage at all, particularly in parts of Europe and Australia.
    I live in South America, CDMA has been completely replaced by GSM. In most countries CDMA networks are no longer up and carriers have replaced customer�s CDMA devices by GSM phones.

Now, a world phone is a GSM phone that works on all 4 frequencies used by the different GSM providers..

Quad-band GSM phones are still only found in mid range and upper range devices. The Bold 9700 is a quad band phone... while de 9650 is not... therefore the 9650 will never beat the 9700 as device you can use outside the US.

Let�s face it..... most of the world lives outside the US.
    Not our fault that you still use gallons and miles... and CDMA networks, the rest of the world has long ago moved to metric, and GSM networks.
    04-29-10 07:55 PM
    more memory makes the OS run a lot smoother and faster... more apps a lot to download into the phone without worrying about slowing down the phone at all.

open GL is also good for 3D games and what not.. not sure since I never had a phone with open GL before
    A BB device is not a PC! More memory makes the device work better up to a certain extent. If you have 100 mb free memory or 300 mb, it does make NO difference at all. Now if instead of 10 mb you have 300 free memory, then obviously it makes a **** of a difference.

We, BB users tend to forget that in spite of RIM�s idea of making BB devices more friendly to the public in general, BB are mainly designed and meant as a working tool.... If you wish to see which phone has the most memory, the faster processor, get an Iphone or HTC device!!
    04-29-10 07:59 PM

Cool Cool thanks for that I was wondering would the added memory help the speed, as far as the apps I'm not that interested personally the BB platform really makes apps an undesirable perk.

04-29-10 08:29 PM
    I seriously doubt doubling the memory is going to do anything for OS5 speed... Now OS6, can't really say because it's not here.

Larger apps or more memory-consuming apps are the main target, which currently don't really exist much. OpenGL adoption is ridiculously slow and will remain that way for a while, due to the majority of the BB market not having opengl support (say almost all GSM phones and most of the CDMA phones to date, so far).

Until that changes to the majority, there will be plenty of apps developed for non-opengl, because then more people can buy and use them...
    04-29-10 08:35 PM
    Cool Cool thanks for that I was wondering would the added memory help the speed, as far as the apps I'm not that interested personally the BB platform really makes apps an undesirable perk.

the memory will not increase your device speed at all, unless you compare it to a device that has little to no memory left (such as < 10 MB). the biggest slowdown from lack of memory is when there is NO free memory left. with 512 MB, you will rarely run into that problem unless you are storing 100 apps and all your pictures on the device memory, which is not the usual case. the same goes for 256 MB, and even to an extent 128 MB; as long as you haven't filled up the memory, you will not have any problems, but you certainly will not see in increase in speed over another device with adequate free space on it.

the average BB app is less than 1 MB, so even on a 128MB device you'd have to have quite a bit of apps on it to run it into the ground.

in short, yes, having more memory is always better. but in the case of how fast the phone will run, it doesn't change it. when OS 6 comes out, that may change ONLY if the OS requires more memory than than OS5. if they are of comparable size, you won't see a speed difference due to memory. you will, however, see a difference due to the processor.
    04-29-10 09:57 PM
    Don't forget how much memory the OS takes up which tends to be quite a bit. just by looking at how much memory has been needed for all the updated OS's one could only imagine how much OS6 will take up.
    04-29-10 10:36 PM
    Don't forget how much memory the OS takes up which tends to be quite a bit. just by looking at how much memory has been needed for all the updated OS's one could only imagine how much OS6 will take up.
    the updated OS's (OS5 versions) are all about the same size from update to update. like you said, we have no idea how much memory OS6 will take up - for all we know it could be less. RIM can optimize their code so that the actual OS files aren't as big, or they could run with less memory needed than current 5.0 services. It can be the exact opposite too. Point is, we know nothing yet.
    04-29-10 10:38 PM
    not to offend people, but i think everyone has got it all wrong for the most part... for simplicity sake, both phones are world phones. When it comes down to it both phones will be able to work in any civilized country with cell phone service. You can even use other countries cdma network such as mexico or canada seemlessly without contacting the provider... i know i have.

The only advantage the 9700 has over the 9650 that isn't opinionateded and pure fact is batterly life but it is only marginally better than the 9650, by one hour of talk time or about 16%. Sure the 9700 is a little lighter and smaller and it uses the latest bb style with the rubberized side keys and all but thats opinionated differences.

Memory will make a difference. Have you ever tried using large numbers in the calculator on a bb? it won't do large numbers like an iphone or an htc phone does with larger memory. I dont know for sure but i bet the 9650 can. my point is that the larger memory isn't just going to improve speed, but it will enable to the device to handle more powerful apps.

And yes speed will be improved with the increase in memory of the 9650 when you have multiple apps open... idk if os 6.0 will do multi tasking like the webOS does but if so then you can be dam sure that the 9650 will be faster.

Idk about openGL, so i won't venture into that just yet but i'm guessing that it will improve apps and web-browsing, another 9650 advantage.

in the US, cdma networks enjoy better network coverage which means less searching for a signal for the cdma bold compared to a gsm bold... which could translate into better battery life on the cdma bold in areas where gsm coverage sucks. I'm guessing that theres a lot more areas where gsm is poor compared to cdma being poor in coverage.

Finally, i wonder why the 9700 has so much more music playback time than the 9650? an extra 10 hours or an extra 47% with just 100 mah more of battery juice (extra 7 % battery) ! Can someone answer that question ?

but even if the cdma bold tests out to be a better phone than the 9700 overall, it will be short lived as blackberry will soon enough release a newer gms bold with 512 memory, openGL, and probably a 5mp camera by then. I'm guessing it will be this fall... which is why it sucks to be a cdma customer.
    Last edited by donpeppino9; 04-29-10 at 11:05 PM.
    04-29-10 11:01 PM
154 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD