The impt bit first - yes there is always a risk of bricking/nuking the bb
    BUT there is also lots of support here

Upgrading generally helps improve memory management, energy management and also certain glitches/bugs

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 10:49 AM
    hmm k thanks
    02-11-09 10:53 AM
    I've just got my Bold for a little over a week. This is the best phone I ever got overall.

I tried to update the OS to .216 in the middle of the night, but got the following message:
    -Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
    -Uncaught exception: java.lang.Error
    -Uncaught exception: ApplicationRegistry.waitFor(0x7491f7b6ae80681a)tim eout

I clicked ok a few times then the messages goes away. Is it something that needs to be fixed or I shouldn't have any problems?

Update: I removed the battery and replace it after a few minutes (like a windows restart). No error message.
    It turned out that the OS did not update after I removed the battery and checked OS version.
    02-11-09 11:05 AM
    Did u delete vendor xml file?
    Which version of DM are u using

02-11-09 11:11 AM
    thanks for the find
    02-11-09 11:23 AM
    Did u delete vendor xml file?
    Which version of DM are u using

vendor.xml is removed. I have DM 4.7. I couldn't update with DM 4.6.

Edit: I'm going to try update again with DM 4.7 and see if I can do it.
    02-11-09 12:11 PM
    I checked the .216, but the Update Summary says no update is required.
    02-11-09 12:43 PM
    I will have to check this out I just got my bold saturday( traded my 3G Iphone)
    Thanks for this

02-11-09 12:55 PM
    You can look above at my (and others') previous posts, but forget about desktop manager. Close it.

Navigate to the folder on your PC to where the bb os upgrade was installed (see above posts for exact path). Delete vendor.xml. Connect you bb to pc. In that same folder you will see an exe file I believe is named loader.exe. Run this program and you will be under way with your os upgrade.

02-11-09 01:43 PM
    You can look above at my (and others') previous posts, but forget about desktop manager. Close it.

Navigate to the folder on your PC to where the bb os upgrade was installed (see above posts for exact path). Delete vendor.xml. Connect you bb to pc. In that same folder you will see an exe file I believe is named loader.exe. Run this program and you will be under way with your os upgrade.

I can get through without problems just updating the OS alone. However, I seem to have issues trying to put the language packs back in after the OS update.
    02-11-09 02:45 PM
    Well, it worked. Upgraded from .167 and it only took about 15 minutes. So far so good with no issues..we'll see what happens...thanks!!
    02-11-09 05:10 PM
    i've been using 217 so far and it has been the best yet, no problems. never used 216
    02-11-09 05:38 PM
    Haven't you people thought that .216 is an upgrade from another country and that the bolds made for this country might be a hair different? That's why people are having problems with the upgrade? Sheesh!
    The core software is identical regardless of where it is released, or which carriers sponsor the release. The main differences are support for different languages and predefined regional formats for date, etc. An english-using user can use any release from around the world, users needing support for asian or some european languages need to be more picky.

The majority of users still using obsolete original vendor's releases are either happy because they don't push their phones to the limit, or would benefit by upgrading to .216 or .190 - both are officially released versions which are live with several major carriers. I agree that all users should approach bete test releases with caution, and (particularly for new users) unofficial leaked betas should be avoided. Corporate users may even face dismissal if they load illegally leaked beta versions and something bad happens.

Most upgrade problems arise because users forget to delete vendor.xml, or they are using DM4.7 configured to put it back automatically.
    02-11-09 05:48 PM
    The core software is identical regardless of where it is released, or which carriers sponsor the release. The main differences are support for different languages and predefined regional formats for date, etc. An english-using user can use any release from around the world, users needing support for asian or some european languages need to be more picky.

The majority of users still using obsolete original vendor's releases are either happy because they don't push their phones to the limit, or would benefit by upgrading to .216 or .190 - both are officially released versions which are live with several major carriers. I agree that all users should approach bete test releases with caution, and (particularly for new users) unofficial leaked betas should be avoided. Corporate users may even face dismissal if they load illegally leaked beta versions and something bad happens.

Most upgrade problems arise because users forget to delete vendor.xml, or they are using DM4.7 configured to put it back automatically.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
    02-11-09 05:51 PM
    upgraded a couple of times and the stock pictures and ringtones are intact. same for my personal pics, vids and mp3s on the media card
    02-11-09 09:02 PM
    Same here did the update ( just deleted the vendor.xml and ran the loader.exe on a vista laptop)from the stock ATT to the latest 216 the only thing so far is that windows live does not work but it did keep all of my paid for themes as well as my downloaded programs, but I am sure they will catch up google still works has anyone tried any other GPS software yet???
    02-11-09 11:29 PM
    i wish they'd make a new one. Im on .210, went to .216 but it kept dropping my calls every time i got on the phone. My .210 is beginning to get slower for some reason.
    02-12-09 01:06 PM
    Does anyone know if going from the AT&T official release to another carrier's more recent release will affect choice of roaming carriers when traveling outside the US?

I ask this because while in Mexico this week my Bold would choose the movistar network running EDGE vs. the Telcel 3G network every time I powered or rebooted. My colleagues with same device but never having tampered with their OS like me always defaulted to the Telcel network.

Before you go there I will point out that raoming in Mexico is like being in the US and you are unable to manually select your operator like you are when roaming in other countries.
    02-12-09 03:03 PM
    I just updated from .190 to .216. I have DM-4.7. I cannot access the MicroSD card (8GB) in DM. I can access it fine on the device itself. I don't store anything on the device memory, everything is on the card.

Is this a limitation of .216?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    MLE724
    02-12-09 04:14 PM
    That's strange. I update from.167 to .216 and can access my 8GB MicroSD card after update. Hopefully someone can help or rollback to the version before your update and try again

02-12-09 05:01 PM
    Hey, I jus' downloaded the new OS. I've had the Bold for a couple of days now and the new UI is crazy. With this upgrade, it just gets better. Thanks for all the clues and help. I made it through without a hitch.
    02-12-09 07:24 PM
    my browser seems to be having trouble on the 3G after uploading the OS. I can't load any webpages. Wifi neither. I tried a battery pull
    Last edited by Chunberry; 02-12-09 at 09:01 PM.
    02-12-09 08:56 PM
    Before you try anything else do a battery pull.
    Also check to see if your browser is set to Internet Browser. Go to Browser>Options>General Properties>Internet Browser
    02-12-09 09:03 PM
    Before you try anything else do a battery pull.
    Also check to see if your browser is set to Internet Browser. Go to Browser>Options>General Properties>Internet Browser
    Done and done, but still nothing. I'm trying a 2nd battery pull. Are there any other settings while in the browser, under "options" i could try?
    02-12-09 09:53 PM
    okay, so I figured something else out.... If i try the medianet browser, it'll bring me to the home page very quickly (3G fast)

AND.... if i do a search from that home page, I get search results fast... However, if i try a "go to" then it just says "Requesting"
    02-12-09 09:58 PM
689 ... 2425262728
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD