To anyone interested,

I have found a way in order to have the bold display Japanese fonts. You have to manually modify the firmware but it is possible.....mine is working at least.

I do not know if I am allowed to post the how to here.
    09-01-08 07:55 AM
    Only need to install a east asia ROM. support most east asia language..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-08 08:46 AM
    Well done mavster, and welcome to CB!

At a guess though I reckon that the contents of the screen you attached will mean nothing whatsoever to 99% of CB users.

I am not saying that it is not of interest though... just undecipherable to most of us!
    09-01-08 08:50 AM
    Only need to install a east asia ROM. support most east asia language..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That is right for Chinese and Korean.....not for Japanese.
    09-01-08 11:30 AM
    thanks for the info. def. will help if i ever get one
    09-01-08 11:34 AM
    To anyone interested,

I have found a way in order to have the bold display Japanese fonts. You have to manually modify the firmware but it is possible.....mine is working at least.

hi,
    I'm interested in your Method.
    Did you flash the "net_rim_font_japanese.cod" in your Bold?
    09-02-08 03:50 AM
    Hello,

I found that in an east asia firmware there were three file related to japanese but in the installation process nothing showd up apart from the korean anch chinese language. I than checked the cjk.alx file and found a line where the japanese menu was "Hidden japanese .....=true". I deleted the line and started the installation again and the japanese selectable entry was there.
    09-02-08 04:39 AM
    thanks mavster!
    It works! My browser can show Japanese now.
    But i have still little problem by showing the Japanese title in Media player. The title (maybe mp3's ID3) will not be displayed completely in Japanese. There are still some "?" here. Have you got the same problem?
    09-02-08 03:35 PM
    Currently in Japan and would love to get my Japenese to display! Unfamiliar with the "cjk.alx file" or any other method to get this to work... Can someone please give me a brief step by step? Thanks!
    09-03-08 12:35 AM
    I have not got a lot of japanese titles but the ones I have are just fine.
    09-03-08 04:54 AM
    Hi, pls read this post #65 carefully in thread "Bold can't see Chinese characters? " by wugui

The Japanese Support works basically the same.

you need to do:
    after step 3, Go to PC folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000-v4.6.0.126_P4.0.0.135
    find "CJK.alx " in this folder.
    open it and find the line " <hidden JPN_Input="True">true</hidden> "
    delete this line. save and close the file.

continue with step 4, you can find the Japanese Support section now. choose it and finish the rest of process.

after restart you can read Japanese on your BB.
    09-03-08 08:46 AM
    Thanks! BUT I can't open the "CJK.alx" file! How or what do I use to do that?
    09-03-08 12:14 PM
    Thanks! BUT I can't open the "CJK.alx" file! How or what do I use to do that?
    You can use a text editor to open it, like MS Word. but do not use windows notepad. It may damage the file.
    Make a backup of the original file, before you change anything.
    09-03-08 02:36 PM
    Thanks for your help! I feel like a BB programmer now!

And best of all...My BOLD can display JAPANESE!!!

Now my translator out here can just text me back anything I need at the stops or to say or where I am going for driver's etc!

THANKS!
    09-10-08 11:21 PM
    Will this work for the curve? and will is there a way to display vietnamese language?
    09-11-08 09:39 AM
    you guys notice the new rom always came out for western regions first before asian region. I have the same question on cjk.alx. I just recently upgraded to .167 and i m happy w/ the performance (loading pic, 3g etc), however, there is no asian lang support. I downloaded the .162, the latest rom from asian and trying to copy cjk.alx into c:\program files\common files\rim\shared\[rom version]\ and hoping i can either install the alx from there.... when i launched DM, i couldn't see any reference to clk.

Anyone know how i can install alx on teh fly? Thanks ahead.
    11-10-08 10:46 AM
    Download : (BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.263 (East Asia) 9000jEastAsia_PBr4.6.0_rel263_PL4.0.0.143_A4.6.0.1 44_Telstra.exe -

Package Version: 4.6.0.263
    Consisting of: East Asia/Japanese characters
    Applications: 4.6.0.144
    Software Platform: 4.0.0.143
    File name: 9000jEastAsia_PBr4.6.0_rel263_PL4.0.0.143_A4.6.0.1 44_Telstra.exe
    File size: 94.77MB
    Select "...9000 smartphone" from the pull-down list:

1. Make sure you have Desktop Manager 4.6 installed. Older versions will load the OS but may not be fully compatible with all the memory of the Bold. You need DM 4.6:
    2. Download the OS file listed above to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded.
    3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    4. Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.
    12-12-08 06:06 PM
    Download : (BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.263 (East Asia) 9000jEastAsia_PBr4.6.0_rel263_PL4.0.0.143_A4.6.0.1 44_Telstra.exe -

Package Version: 4.6.0.263
    Consisting of: East Asia/Japanese characters
    Applications: 4.6.0.144
    Software Platform: 4.0.0.143
    File name: 9000jEastAsia_PBr4.6.0_rel263_PL4.0.0.143_A4.6.0.1 44_Telstra.exe
    File size: 94.77MB
    Select "...9000 smartphone" from the pull-down list:

1. Make sure you have Desktop Manager 4.6 installed. Older versions will load the OS but may not be fully compatible with all the memory of the Bold. You need DM 4.6:
    2. Download the OS file listed above to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded.
    3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    4. Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.
    Does the above method also result in changing the OS to that of the Telstra version? For example, I'm on AT&T .167 -- will the above method cause .144 to be loaded?
    01-04-09 07:25 PM
    Anyone?

I tried the Telstra file, but the DM App Loader has the OS Downgrade box checked. Is there any way to add Japanese input other than to up/downgrade from my current OS AT&T .167?

The reason I ask is that my device is on BES and I'd like to not have to re-activate or mess with IT policies.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tgycagel; 01-05-09 at 12:40 PM.
    01-05-09 12:15 PM
    To anyone interested,

Hello,

Could you tell me ? I don't see japanese mails on my blackberry bold 9000.
    Tanks in advance,
    01-06-09 09:53 AM
    My 4.6.0.216 came with Japanese input!! if u search the forums there should be links ro rapid share or mega upload! All you need to do is follow the OS upgrade instructions
    01-06-09 01:36 PM
    To anyone interested,

Hi, could you tell me the way to set it up as well please?
    i often need to read some Japanese email.
    and btw, my OS ver. is V4.6.0.266
    even it supports many asian languages input,
    but i jst cant read Japanese from my email by using the browser.
    Thank you~
    Last edited by katana0910; 05-26-09 at 09:41 PM.
    05-26-09 07:39 PM
    I can't find vendor.xml file and c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

HELP!!
    05-28-09 01:30 AM
    Cool I solved this...I just install Chinese Japanese and French Spanish what ever language I want in my BB! zzz have a good nite every one
    05-28-09 01:39 AM
    Hi, pls read this post #65 carefully in thread "Bold can't see Chinese characters? " by wugui

The Japanese Support works basically the same.

you need to do:
    after step 3, Go to PC folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000-v4.6.0.126_P4.0.0.135
    find "CJK.alx " in this folder.
    open it and find the line " <hidden JPN_Input="True">true</hidden> "
    delete this line. save and close the file.

continue with step 4, you can find the Japanese Support section now. choose it and finish the rest of process.

after restart you can read Japanese on your BB.

Hi, i tried ur method, and followed those steps. but i had a problem of finding d folder named "Shared" under the "Research In Motion" folder, i also searched for d CJK.alx file, but it doesnt exist in my PC. Could you help me please?
    05-28-09 09:13 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD