Have had 4s for almost a year. Up till this summer I have love the 4s. Simple good battery life and lots of stuff you can do with it other than use as a phone. But as a phone it's just okay. So part of me wants to pick up a refurbished or used 9930 until bb10 phones come out. I was wondering if you all could help me with a few things! I used a 9930 for 3 days when they first came out. The reason I brought it back(other than wanting to try an iphone out) was: Battery life was terrible my 9650 I would make it till 8-9pm and with 9930 about 3-4(with 4s I can usually make it entire day). Now I heard with 7.1 it is a lot better. Just curious if any of you had gone from a 4s to 9930 and good tell me how the battery compares!
    Next is email! I hated the limit on size and that I couldn't see my labels on gmail. I love on the 4s how I can get an email and organize into which label I want. I honestly have not checked my email on a computer since I got the 4s.
    With all the things I love about the 4s the phone is subpar at just that, being a phone. I also miss that lovely 9930 keyboard! Any info would be great!
    09-01-12 06:53 PM
    by updating to os 7.1 you'll get around 2-3 hours of extra juice.. however the battery life is still terrible, what i did was I got another JM1 battery, and i'd suggest you getting that too...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-01-12 08:34 PM
    by updating to os 7.1 you'll get around 2-3 hours of extra juice.. however the battery life is still terrible, what i did was I got another JM1 battery, and i'd suggest you getting that too...

Yep the batteries are small and the boot up time short. I'd carry an extra.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    09-01-12 08:42 PM
    Have had 4s for almost a year. Up till this summer I have love the 4s. Simple good battery life and lots of stuff you can do with it other than use as a phone. But as a phone it's just okay. So part of me wants to pick up a refurbished or used 9930 until bb10 phones come out. I was wondering if you all could help me with a few things! I used a 9930 for 3 days when they first came out. The reason I brought it back(other than wanting to try an iphone out) was: Battery life was terrible my 9650 I would make it till 8-9pm and with 9930 about 3-4(with 4s I can usually make it entire day). Now I heard with 7.1 it is a lot better. Just curious if any of you had gone from a 4s to 9930 and good tell me how the battery compares!
    Next is email! I hated the limit on size and that I couldn't see my labels on gmail. I love on the 4s how I can get an email and organize into which label I want. I honestly have not checked my email on a computer since I got the 4s.
    With all the things I love about the 4s the phone is subpar at just that, being a phone. I also miss that lovely 9930 keyboard! Any info would be great!
    Yep! The 99xx is a stunner! I almost sold mine because of a few limitations but decided the benefits outweigh those limitations. Provided your not dependant on many apps you'll be fine.
    09-01-12 08:43 PM
    9930 is wonderful. Charge battery every night goes all day....although I text, use bridge and email more than I talk on the phone.
    09-01-12 09:03 PM
    Anyone out there go to the 9930 from a 4s?! Would love to hear the comparison
    09-01-12 09:18 PM
    Anyone out there go to the 9930 from a 4s?! Would love to hear the comparison
    I own both the 4S and the 9900.. I actually got bored of the 9900 and got my first iPhone which was the 4S.. It's very fast, rarely lags, a battery life that would last the entire day, and that you got all the amazing apps.

However I decided to go back to my 9900 once and for all, for its keyboard is just great, and that it gets me connected.

The 9900 has a terrible battery life compared to the 4S, which you can solve buy just getting and extra JM1 battery. The iPhone for sure is faster than the 9900, but the 9900 gets your work done, its a tool like what many people said. Now I only use my iPhone for gaming.. and all my work gets into my lovely 9900.
    anon(4216152) and felixmiguel like this.
    09-01-12 09:29 PM
    I may just have to get my hands on a 9930 and check it out! I just tried using my 9650 and that thing is terrible to type on compared to the 4s touch screen! I do miss how accurate I was on the 9930 though
    09-01-12 11:12 PM
    yes try the 9930's keyboard, its amazing
    09-01-12 11:50 PM
    dont think, just do it
    09-02-12 12:05 AM
    The 9930/9900 keyboard can't be beat...it's an amazing keyboard, you can actually look forward to using it. My 9930 keeps me productive and getting things done. I'm running vzw latest os and battery life is much improved.
    09-02-12 12:22 AM
    I own both the iPhone 4S and the Bold 9900. I only use the Bold 9900. Its more simplistic, social focused and the keyboard is worth having even if that means giving up applications (and you will).

At the end of the day, it comes down to whats most important to you. If thats applications, stick with the 4S. If its productivity and a more social focused approach, its hard to beat the 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900, BlackBerry By Choice.
    09-02-12 12:50 AM
    Hi all,

The 4S looks great from the offset. But there is a helluva lot of rubbish you have to go through to 'jailbreak' it. Once that is done - it is so so.

The battery is not much better than the 9900 either. I am quite a heavy user. So I always have kindle or something running. I get roughly 24 hours on the 9900. You don't get much more with the 4S.

The keypad on the 9900 is superb. Even for those of us with big fingers. And once you get used to the touch screen - amazing. I am always discovering new things.

As stated earlier, it would be ideal to get a second battery, although I have not had need for it yet. But better safe than sorry.

BB is a tool and not a toy. As such though, I am not disappointed with the apps that we have. I get my weather, news etc. What more do you want?

I think that in the long run it will boil down to your own preferred tool of choice. But I would not hesitate with the BB.

Cheers

Craig

09-02-12 01:00 AM
    Like you I decided to go back to a 9900 from a 4S but the battery life and the fact that I ended up carrying the 4S as well to be able to do every thing I needed to means that it's going back today. I've become so proficient at typing on the 4S that while the keyboard on the 9900 is better, I can type as fast if not faster on the 4S. Think it's the auto correct that's better.

The 9900 is better at being a phone and I love the light but I can't be bothered carrying a work BB, a personal BB and a 4S.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    09-02-12 02:11 AM
    Of course you are coming back....everyone does sooner or later

09-02-12 03:39 AM
    I had the 4s and I could see all my labels on there . just go all the way out of the mail
    app. and it's right there.
    09-02-12 07:12 AM
    Like you I decided to go back to a 9900 from a 4S but the battery life and the fact that I ended up carrying the 4S as well to be able to do every thing I needed to means that it's going back today. I've become so proficient at typing on the 4S that while the keyboard on the 9900 is better, I can type as fast if not faster on the 4S. Think it's the auto correct that's better.

The 9900 is better at being a phone and I love the light but I can't be bothered carrying a work BB, a personal BB and a 4S.

I feel this would be my exact reaction to going back to a 9930 so I am going to wait and see what bb10 brings! Take bb10 qwerty and put a couple of good cameras on it(front and back) and good battery life and let the bb10 ecosystem grow it could be a real winner!
    Dlanod likes this.
    09-02-12 01:24 PM
    well brother, what i can tell you is, 4s is WAY WAY better than 9930 (only if u set aside bbm and physical keyboard). here is some points to consider. first i want to clear u, i am a bb fan still and apart from all this, i am still hoping to give a final shot on bb10 before calling a quit. the basic thing is. a smartphone should smart enough to be the part of your life style, and be there when u need it. here are few points to consider.
    not much of applications to look for(entertainment wise and business wise). forget skype... 9930 dont even have app to support VOIP and SIP.
    dont have folders view in mails, does not synchronise calenders on your outlook.
    dont have basic essential business tools(which can talk outside of bb ecosystem) like LYNC, sharepoint, VOIP, sykpe, teamviewer, active sync(outlook). dont have mobile screen sharing app(apart from 2 apps who are 40$ and lags way too much, no use in real life). if i need to give demo of a mobile app via bb screen sharing to my comp. it lags too much ans sucks.
    now entertainment and functional side:
    pathetic battery, 3g lasts nly 3 hours with moderate use. very few apps and games to look out for. GTALK doesnt support file sharing(outside bb gtalk), or voice(forget video all together). sign out so many times and generally show online when u are not. Almost NO GAMES, no fun apps, instagram, FLIPBOARD(to name a few), stic sports games. ZERO in information tools like stock apps etc.
    try to download or mae a quick run with 9930, apart from sayin 1.2 ghz, i normally see hourglass contantly(i have 9900. 9790 and 9930 for my team and myself). had to contantly reboot(way better than 9700/9780, but hey here we are comparing with 4s).
    being a blackberry fanboy i also brought playbook. people say its too good. now let me clear one more thing. i have wifi one.. what it is supose to do???? even after final update of 2.1, the signal losts regularly, browser crashes(now a bit less after 2.1). again no business tools all together. now u say its a software glitch. i mean its been 2 year old device now. games getting now for playbook, but the same thing is there as on 9930, if you talk about business suport, no team viewer.. etc... infact dont blame on app developers.. RIM is digging its grave for sure as THEY ONLY NOT OPEN API FOR CAMERA for their devices. and you say why SIP OR SKYPE, no LYNC. etc....
    So guys.. dont be ignorant... 4s is a pretty neat peice of device.... do exactly perfect what ever it does..... hope it gives u a clear idea what i wanna say here..
    anyways.. will be with bb10.. hope they get it perfectly right this time...
    09-02-12 01:55 PM

well brother, what i can tell you is, 4s is WAY WAY better than 9930 (only if u set aside bbm and physical keyboard). here is some points to consider. first i want to clear u, i am a bb fan still and apart from all this, i am still hoping to give a final shot on bb10 before calling a quit. the basic thing is. a smartphone should smart enough to be the part of your life style, and be there when u need it. here are few points to consider.
    not much of applications to look for(entertainment wise and business wise). forget skype... 9930 dont even have app to support VOIP and SIP.
    dont have folders view in mails, does not synchronise calenders on your outlook.
    dont have basic essential business tools(which can talk outside of bb ecosystem) like LYNC, sharepoint, VOIP, sykpe, teamviewer, active sync(outlook). dont have mobile screen sharing app(apart from 2 apps who are 40$ and lags way too much, no use in real life). if i need to give demo of a mobile app via bb screen sharing to my comp. it lags too much ans sucks.
    pathetic battery, 3g lasts nly 3 hours with moderate use. very few apps and games to look out for. GTALK doesnt support file sharing(outside bb gtalk), or voice(forget video all together). sign out so many times and generally show online when u are not. Almost NO GAMES, no fun apps, instagram, FLIPBOARD(to name a few), stic sports games. ZERO in information tools like stock apps etc.
    try to download or mae a quick run with 9930, apart from sayin 1.2 ghz, i normally see hourglass contantly(i have 9900. 9790 and 9930 for my team and myself). had to contantly reboot(way better than 9700/9780, but hey here we are comparing with 4s).
    being a blackberry fanboy i also brought playbook. people say its too good. now let me clear one more thing. i have wifi one.. what it is supose to do???? even after final update of 2.1, the signal losts regularly, browser crashes(now a bit less after 2.1). again no business tools all together. now u say its a software glitch. i mean its been 2 year old device now. games getting now for playbook, but the same thing is there as on 9930, if you talk about business suport, no team viewer.. etc... infact dont blame on app developers.. RIM is digging its grave for sure as THEY ONLY NOT OPEN API FOR CAMERA for their devices. and you say why SIP OR SKYPE, no LYNC. etc....
    So guys.. dont be ignorant... 4s is a pretty neat peice of device.... do exactly perfect what ever it does..... hope it gives u a clear idea what i wanna say here..
    Dlanod likes this.
    09-02-12 01:58 PM
    the reasons you set aside are the reasons that i prefer the blackberry. It wouldn't be fair to ask someone to set those key things aside while trying to make other points.
    09-02-12 03:44 PM
    I got the 9900 when it first came out & sold it after less than a month & went back to my 9780 (was no biggy to me because I had an iPhone 4 for all the fun stuff & the BB for calls & text) wasn't impressed with it at all as an upgrade. The fact I ditched this phone & was less than impressed with the soon to be released 9790 was the straw that finally broke the camels back & after a year of carrying both a BB & an iPhone because I wasn't brave enough to finally ditch my BB after 4 years & wasn't brave enough to go full time iPhone I finally said F*** it & ditched the BB & went with the iPhone 4 then onto the 4s & I can honestly say I've never looked back. There's a few things I miss about BB such as Notifications, being able to use ANY sound or music for ANY notification, the little red flashing light & the keyboard but what I feel I gain with the iPhone By far outway what I've lost with the BB. I'm now eagerly waiting for the iPhone 5 & keeping one eye on what's happening with Blackberry but can honestly say they don't have any device due out that would get me to ditch the iPhone.
    tabish4u likes this.
    09-02-12 04:48 PM
    I got the 9900 when it first came out & sold it after less than a month & went back to my 9780 (was no biggy to me because I had an iPhone 4 for all the fun stuff & the BB for calls & text) wasn't impressed with it at all as an upgrade. The fact I ditched this phone & was less than impressed with the soon to be released 9790 was the straw that finally broke the camels back & after a year of carrying both a BB & an iPhone because I wasn't brave enough to finally ditch my BB after 4 years & wasn't brave enough to go full time iPhone I finally said F*** it & ditched the BB & went with the iPhone 4 then onto the 4s & I can honestly say I've never looked back. There's a few things I miss about BB such as Notifications, being able to use ANY sound or music for ANY notification, the little red flashing light & the keyboard but what I feel I gain with the iPhone By far outway what I've lost with the BB. I'm now eagerly waiting for the iPhone 5 & keeping one eye on what's happening with Blackberry but can honestly say they don't have any device due out that would get me to ditch the iPhone.
    AN HONEST reply my friend..... i too was honest on my side.. unfortunately i will give my final go whn bb-10 will come.... till then. m carrying my iphone4s and bb 9900, ipad with playbook with me.... i am trying my best to keep bb things.. but now its testing my limits man......

please contribute to this thread too.... lets see where u end up.. being called a troll or apple intruder all d best....

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=%20743137
    09-02-12 07:08 PM
    You can use any sound for texts and email - no individual notifications though. I suppose you know this. But yeah, totally agree. In the same boat. One eye on BB10 but it'll need a miracle for RIM to survive.

09-02-12 08:36 PM
    updated my 9900 to 7.1 last thursday, now i can go for 12 hours and still have 50% on my 9900. not bad, atleast for me.
    Last edited by nathan_eil; 09-03-12 at 08:36 AM.
    09-03-12 02:05 AM
    I've become so proficient at typing on the 4S that while the keyboard on the 9900 is better, I can type as fast if not faster on the 4S. Think it's the auto correct that's better.

Your the second person on this forum I've seen say that I do not believe that is ergonomically possible.
    09-03-12 08:50 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD