unfortunately, not many people look for what they see as the best, but go for what the commercials and friends tell them are the best. Im one of those weird people who try to find the best thats offered for what I'm trying to do.
    Are you saying that people who have iphones aren't buying what works best for them? Are you saying that they are just following commercials? If you are that is a very close minded and ignorant way of thinking.
    10-06-11 11:45 AM
    A few iPhone users I know, arent getting it because it wasn't a bigger redesign. They like the other stuff, but really wanted a bigger phone. I think more people are upset about the same old design than anything else.
    10-06-11 11:46 AM
    A few iPhone users I know, arent getting it because it wasn't a bigger redesign. They like the other stuff, but really wanted a bigger phone. I think more people are upset about the same old design than anything else.
    That and that it isn't called the iPhone 5. If it was called the iPhone 5, half the complaints would be gone.

I would have liked a redesign too, but the iPhone basically looked the same for 3 models. It's ok to have the same design two years in a row. But I can definitely see why people would like something different.
    10-06-11 11:50 AM
    Suddenly I understand why you get no respect.
    I could say the same for you.
    10-06-11 11:53 AM
    My 9930 is my beloved and the reason I will never want the 4S is because the upgrade isn't much. I can list it all below:
    -iOS 5
    -No redesign.
    -8 MP Camera
    -1080 HD vid recording
    -VGA front camera
    -HSDPA+ (no 4G..... Why?)
    -Speech recog.

As you can see these aren't really good upgrades. I don't think they should have released 4S and should have kept people waiting more and bring in a nice iP5

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 12:14 PM
    I would have liked a redesign too, but the iPhone basically looked the same for 3 models. It's ok to have the same design two years in a row. But I can definitely see why people would like something different.
    The Curve line has looked basically the same since the 83xx. With the addition of the track pad, that's about it cosmetic wise. The Bolds all look the same until the 9930 with its half touch screen.

10-06-11 12:16 PM
    The Curve line has looked basically the same since the 83xx. With the addition of the track pad, that's about it cosmetic wise. The Bolds all look the same until the 9930 with its half touch screen.

At least there was a bit of a redesign between all of them. I can agree with your statement for the 9700-9780 transition. It is somewhat like the 4-4S transition. So redesign could have been nice but regular design with better hardware could be good. Unfortunately there isn't much difference in hardware between the 4 and 4S

10-06-11 12:20 PM
    I didn't say that at all. Anyone who just upgraded should not even be looking at these devices right now (unless they are a smartphone addict or have extra money to throw around). All I said was that this is still a great upgrade, even for iPhone 4 owners. Overall better battery life while being more powerful and efficient is a great upgrade. Especially since software is moving towards dual core devices. This will allow the 4S to last much longer. I do expect the 4 to last a while as well since older iPhones are still being upgraded, but dual core is an entirely different platform. It is the future of iOS. iOS 5 already runs smooth as butter on the iPhone 4, I have been using it since beta 1. I know the iPhone 4 is a great device. It hasn't let me down once.

Also, I never said you said it wasn't an upgrade. All I said was that I am sorry you do not feel it is much of an upgrade for iPhone 4 users.
    This was the exact point I was trying to make. Yes, it is an upgrade and yes, the iP4 is already a great device.
    10-06-11 12:21 PM
    I could understand the reason for this post better if the OP had the i4 then tried the 9930. The problem I have with this thread, besides seemingly being RIM troll bait, is yet again we have a person proclaiming love for an object because another object is competition. Add to it said competition has not been tried by the OP since it's not on the market. Subjective vs. objective based on hypothesis rather than actual hands on.
    10-06-11 12:22 PM

Exactly. This is why I find it funny that many BB users are complaining about no new redesign, and some think the hardware upgrade is a disappointment. Meanwhile if the case design changed, had the iPhone 5 branding an had the same internals, no one would be complaining at all.

Well that's not true, people will always complain about something.
    10-06-11 12:26 PM
    At least there was a bit of a redesign between all of them. I can agree with your statement for the 9700-9780 transition. It is somewhat like the 4-4S transition. So redesign could have been nice but regular design with better hardware could be good. Unfortunately there isn't much difference in hardware between the 4 and 4S

Other than a shiny new battery door there wasn't a redesign from the 8530 I had to the *new* 3G Curve.

Problem is Apple could keep the same design on their iPhones and they'd still sell millions of phones.

This was the exact point I was trying to make. Yes, it is an upgrade and yes, the iP4 is already a great device.
    Well then I fully agree with you.
    Other than a shiny new battery door there wasn't a redesign from the 8530 I had to the *new* 3G Curve.

Problem is Apple could keep the same design on their iPhones and they'd still sell millions of phones.

True but the Curve 3G was meant to be an upgraded Curve and not a whole new device. The reason Apple will keep selling is that people are fans and the I devices have always been a favorite. People really don't see the difference because they aren't techy and don't see the differences or similarities. I may be wrong but that's what I think!

10-06-11 12:30 PM
    Are you saying that people who have iphones aren't buying what works best for them? Are you saying that they are just following commercials? If you are that is a very close minded and ignorant way of thinking.

To say everyone is making an absolutely rational choice is to deny the very premise of how marketing works.

I have one specific friend lately who got an iPhone 4. I asked her why not a BlackBerry since she messages a lot? She said "none of my friends like BlackBerry". So clearly peer pressure was an influence. So yes, maybe the iPhone is best for her and will work best. But she certainly did not buy it having tested it.

I doubt billions would be spent by corporations in ads if people were absolutely rational in their buying decisions.

I think it is a mix; some are very analytical and others are less so.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by southlander; 10-06-11 at 12:34 PM.
    10-06-11 12:30 PM
    To say everyone is making an absolutely rational choice is to deny the very premise of how marketing works.

I have one specific friend lately who got an iPhone 4. I asked her why not a BlackBerry since she messages a lot? She said "none of my friends like BlackBerry". So clearly peer pressure was an influence. So yes, maybe the iPhone is best for her and will work best. But she certainly did not buy it having tested it.

I doubt billions would be spent by corporations in ads if people were absolutely rational in their buying decisions.

Yes but the general assumption (especially on tech sites not dedicated to Apple, obviously) is that most Apple users buy things because they are following orders from Steve Jobs (RIP) or that Apple marketing made them.

Like you said, "to say everyone is making an absolutely rational choice is to deny the very premise of how marketing works."

To say everyone (not saying you said this, just a generalization) bought an Apple product because they fell for the hype, marketing, or because they are a fanboy, and they couldn't make an informed decision by themselves is ridiculous.
    10-06-11 12:37 PM

Presumably she is messaging those same friends who do not like Blackberry so BBM won't be very useful. In which case a BB's only advantage is the querty leyboard and some BB's don't even have that
    10-06-11 12:56 PM

I think it is a mix; some are very analytical and others are less so.

I like how your premise is that people don't always make rational purchasing decisions and then you go on to give an example of how your friend did indeed make a rational decision in purchasing an iPhone. That is, she likes to message a lot. None of her peers like BBs so they don't have BBs. Therefore, the benefits of an iPhone outweigh those of a BB for her.
    MissJennell#IM and Chrisy like this.
    10-06-11 01:03 PM
    Yes but the general assumption (especially on tech sites not dedicated to Apple, obviously) is that most Apple users buy things because they are following orders from Steve Jobs (RIP) or that Apple marketing made them.
    I think people will say this type of thing just to get a response and irk others, but I doubt most believe deep down inside that this is true.
    10-06-11 01:11 PM
    The debate about is all about marketing and buying something by being brainwashed is nullified by the same token that a high percentage of iPhone users are happy and satisfied with the device. Going back to RIM. We can say the blackberry users have been brainwashed by having a blackberry means youre high class and professional but at the same time everybody is defecting to other platforms cause they are not happy with RIM's products. Call them isheep phandroids or whatever. Rim dropped down to 19% marketshare. Even Kevin said it's going to get worst. That's why their are panicking to rush out a QNX device.

10-06-11 01:15 PM
    Presumably she is messaging those same friends who do not like Blackberry so BBM won't be very useful. In which case a BB's only advantage is the querty leyboard and some BB's don't even have that
    Specifically her "fear" for lack of a better word is the tiny keys and lots of them. I do think some people who've never had a BlackBerry are intimidated by the number of keys and the small key size. Similar to how some people do not think they can use virtual keyboards well.

She's specifically said as much.. keys are too small. Of course the keys are not too small. But nonetheless she'll never realize that. And she seems happy with her iPhone, and happy is good.

I was just curious about what influenced her choice. And actually me and my finance both wanted to use BBM with her. Oh well.
    10-06-11 01:17 PM
    I like how your premise is that people don't always make rational purchasing decisions and then you go on to give an example of how your friend did indeed make a rational decision in purchasing an iPhone. That is, she likes to message a lot. None of her peers like BBs so they don't have BBs. Therefore, the benefits of an iPhone outweigh those of a BB for her.
    My point was that advertising works. Peer pressure does influence people. And her friends do not have iPhones. So I am not quite following ya.
    10-06-11 01:24 PM
    I think people will say this type of thing just to get a response and irk others, but I doubt most believe deep down inside that this is true.
    Oh for sure, but I really do think there are some people who believe this. I have met a few people in real life that despise Apple. The only thing they hate more is Apple users. One of their favorite words is sheep.

I do agree though that most people say it just to get a rise out of people.
    10-06-11 01:29 PM
    After the announcement of the 4S, I held my 9930 up like a boxer who just one the fight and said "your still the best phone in the world" and my LED blinked right back at me. Does anyone else get that same confirming feeling about their new Bold after this 4S announcement?
    Yes, the 4S announcement was anti-climatic. But hold tight to that 9930, within the next 12 months you can expect a completely redesigned phone to shake the industry.
    10-06-11 01:53 PM
    I could understand the reason for this post better if the OP had the i4 then tried the 9930. The problem I have with this thread, besides seemingly being RIM troll bait, is yet again we have a person proclaiming love for an object because another object is competition. Add to it said competition has not been tried by the OP since it's not on the market. Subjective vs. objective based on hypothesis rather than actual hands on.
    I own an Iphone, not a 4, but thats because I didnt find it necessary to have two Iphones. I have used the IP4 quite a bit from some of my close friends and what I dont like about it as an everyday communication device, I still wont like about the 4S. From what you have read, do you really think there is any chance I would desire the new Iphone once Im able to have a hands on experience? why come here and not offer anything and trash talk people who are enjoying themselves?
    10-06-11 03:56 PM
    Yes, the 4S announcement was anti-climatic. But hold tight to that 9930, within the next 12 months you can expect a completely redesigned phone to shake the industry.
    Redesigned by Apple maybe. The QNX Colt looks just like a Bold. There is a rumor about a pear shaped iPhone or a tear drop shaped iPhone but I don't see anything that could be done to redesign the BB other than a candy bar slider.

10-06-11 04:47 PM
287 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD