So I decided to venture out in hopes of getting a 9900 at a Rogers Store near me. I don't know why I went because my luck is horrible.

I ended up finding me a store that had it in stock and was willing to sell it to me. Turns out Rogers changed their upgrade policy from 2 to 2.5 years for smartphones. Since I was not fully qualified, I had to pay an extra $45. And, I akso had to pay another $35 activation fee.

I bought my 9000 in May of 2009. I ended up buying a 9700 used so that I could upgrade my phone but still use my upgrade credit with Rogers for the 9900 when it came out. And now that it's out, I still am not eligible??? This is ridiculous.

I also tried calling a rep to see if they could waive the extra fees. The rep told me that now Rogers doesn't do hardware upgrades over the phone anymore??? When did this happen??

I was willing to pay $249 plus tax for my upgrade that I think I deserve. Who knew it would be $400 for an upgrade!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 07:56 PM
    if they cant waive the fees then ask them to waive monthly fees (1 or 2 months) sometimes that works?
    08-09-11 07:57 PM
    or wait a week for Bell and get the new activation for $169 I'm hoping I can get that Bell deal but I'm sure they'll tell me its only for new customers and I'll have to pony the $249/$299. Or threaten Robbers with that
    08-09-11 08:51 PM
    I had a similar experience. I went to the Rogers store today under the impression that I would do an early hardware upgrade and pay an extra $20 a month until my hardware renewal comes up. That would work out to a savings of around a hundred bucks over buying it new (still debatable if it's worth while when I have to sign up for a contract extention).
    It turns out that policy only applies for voice plans, and data is an extra fee on top of that. Long story short, the guy there told me it would cost $400 to upgrade (the maximum), along with another $199 for the phone, and a $30 activation fee.
    Of course, this guy wasn't a fool. He told me straight up that it doesn't make sense to do it that way, and that I should just buy the phone without a contract. This was great for me, considering they weren't willing to sell the phone to me without a contract when I first talked to them over the phone.
    08-09-11 08:57 PM
    ... So did you upgrade?
    08-09-11 09:02 PM
    WOW $400 to upgrade!!! Whats the price off contract?
    08-09-11 09:03 PM
    $549 (before tax).
    08-09-11 09:06 PM
    $549 (before tax).
    Dam, And Kevin bought 4 of them today.
    08-09-11 09:09 PM
    DAMN! Ill be paying the same then :O
    08-09-11 09:11 PM
    DAMN! Ill be paying the same then :O
    Yeah. $400 + $199 (3 year price) + $30 (or was it $35?) activation fee + three year contract, or $549 for the phone without all that extra bull. Hmm...
    08-09-11 09:13 PM
    Why don't you callin to Rogers CS and ask to speak with the retentions department? They seem to know more than a clueless rep so if I were you I'd call in and make sure whether you can upgrade or not because you said you started in May 2009 and it looks like you have 2 months remaining of the 2 years and 6 months. Retentions usually seem to understand and let the small things slide so you could be lucky and if not then threaten to leave them for Bell or something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by luqman24; 08-09-11 at 09:44 PM.
    08-09-11 09:41 PM
    ... So did you upgrade?
    Still thinking about it.
    08-09-11 09:43 PM
    its called retentions my friend. only suckers pay those kind of fees. some people get good deals, some dont, such is life.

rogers can give you an upgrade for FREE every 6 months if they like you enough.

myself i bought 5 9900s outright today and sold them all, now my phone is free.
    08-10-11 04:27 AM
    its called retentions my friend. only suckers pay those kind of fees. some people get good deals, some dont, such is life.

rogers can give you an upgrade for FREE every 6 months if they like you enough.

myself i bought 5 9900s outright today and sold them all, now my phone is free.
    sell me one pls !
    08-10-11 06:42 AM
    Yeah. $400 + $199 (3 year price) + $30 (or was it $35?) activation fee + three year contract, or $549 for the phone without all that extra bull. Hmm...
    Is it 199.99? I thought it was 249.99? Well if its 199.99 then i guess ill be saving 50 bucks!
    08-10-11 11:17 AM
    Is it 199.99? I thought it was 249.99? Well if its 199.99 then i guess ill be saving 50 bucks!
    Sorry to break it, the Roger's 3 yr cost is $249.99...
    08-10-11 12:05 PM
    I got mine for 299.99 - 50 dollar MIR.

Because I haven't HUP'd since my bold 9000 (bought my 9700 outright), I actually haggled and got a 45 dollar credit for the next 2 months setting my cost of the phone at 160 bucks!

BEST OF ALL? The new retentions plan they gave me. I was paying 125 after taxes for 750 daily minutes, early evenings weekends, vvm, voice mail, who called, all those bells and whistles, 6gb bb data (had this for 3 years), and rogers talkspot canadawide.

Now I get unlimited canadawide calling, unlimited texting to North America, 6gb data, same essentials, no talk spot required anymore for 110 bucks

EFFIN AWESOME ROGERS. Getting it done for your old school customers!
    08-10-11 12:08 PM
    Double post
    08-10-11 12:09 PM
    To the guys paying like $400+ for an UPGRADE, why? the phone is only $550, you might as well pay full retail for this and use your upgrade when you are fully eligible. not really understanding some people..
    08-10-11 12:18 PM
    I think a lot of Rogers customers miss the point of HUP.

The point of HUP is to provide customers a FAIR price to upgrade their phone (while reupping their 3 year commitment), given how much revenue they've generated.

Now, if you're not generating as much revenue as a person paying 100+/month, then you will likely be getting a HUP price higher than the new activation cost. This makes sense, as companies LOSE money providing the phone at a full subsidy (3 year at 249 is full subsidy).

If you generate enough revenue and you're hardware upgrading within their 2 years, they will give you a good price. If you don't, then you're going to get the price you were quoted.

I hope that makes more sense.
    shankeith likes this.
    08-10-11 12:24 PM
    I think a lot of Rogers customers miss the point of HUP.

The point of HUP is to provide customers a FAIR price to upgrade their phone (while reupping their 3 year commitment), given how much revenue they've generated.

Now, if you're not generating as much revenue as a person paying 100+/month, then you will likely be getting a HUP price higher than the new activation cost. This makes sense, as companies LOSE money providing the phone at a full subsidy (3 year at 249 is full subsidy).

If you generate enough revenue and you're hardware upgrading within their 2 years, they will give you a good price. If you don't, then you're going to get the price you were quoted.

I hope that makes more sense.
    Sorry, but I beg to differ. I walked into a Rogers Plus this morning and they mentioned that the revenue based loyalty practice has been abolished in favour of a method that was equal in fairness to more people. An early upgrade for me would cost $180 (I have 10 months left before 30 months are up)... 180 + 299 - 50(mail-in rebate) + 35 admin fee = $465 plus HST.

In my case, much less headache to buy outright, or wait...
    08-10-11 01:05 PM
    Sorry, but I beg to differ. I walked into a Rogers Plus this morning and they mentioned that the revenue based loyalty practice has been abolished in favour of a method that was equal in fairness to more people. An early upgrade for me would cost $180 (I have 10 months left before 30 months are up)... 180 + 299 - 50(mail-in rebate) + 35 admin fee = $465 plus HST.

In my case, much less headache to buy outright, or wait...
    That's a lie.

You won't be able to get a retentions plan or anything like me without having a long history and good revenue generation.

They still tier their customers. Like I said, the ONLY reason I got my bold for 160 while re-upping my 3 year (which expires in September) along with a way better plan at a little less was because of how long I've been "Taking it on the chin" with respect to the amount paid per month.

They felt like with my low complaint, prompt payments, and high monthly bill, that I was worth swallowing an additional 90 bucks on the phone heh.
    08-10-11 01:55 PM
    That's a lie.

You won't be able to get a retentions plan or anything like me without having a long history and good revenue generation.

They still tier their customers. Like I said, the ONLY reason I got my bold for 160 while re-upping my 3 year (which expires in September) along with a way better plan at a little less was because of how long I've been "Taking it on the chin" with respect to the amount paid per month.

They felt like with my low complaint, prompt payments, and high monthly bill, that I was worth swallowing an additional 90 bucks on the phone heh.
    Do you mind if I ask you how long you've been a Rogers customer?

I have been with them since 2005 and I've been paying roughly $80 a month for about a year and a half now. Do you think it's worth a call to see what they can do for me in terms of lowering the cost of the hardware?

Thanks.
    08-10-11 06:06 PM
    Or you can be a BALLER like me and buy it outright lol
    08-10-11 07:46 PM
    I've been a Rogers customer paying $105-130 per month for the past 6 yrs. We have 2 more phones in our family with Rogers, one pays $35 the other $100. I pay my bills early and give them no grief and I am always way under in my useage despite paying for more. I am 2 yrs into my 3 yr contract and I was told by "loyalty" dept yesterday on the phone, that my handset upgrade is only $50 off what anyone else pays, plus I have to sign for another 3yrs.
    I call Bull**** on that, I'm going to run my 3yrs out and just wait to buy a phone outright. I won't sign for a contract again with any carrier.
    08-10-11 07:54 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD