Please report back, I'm curious about the new firmware addressing the 3G issue. I've had no problems whatsoever with .126, but this is not the case for some friends of mine.

Downloading now ...

Hope it sorts out my 3G issues ...
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-08 12:29 PM
    ????????
    Last edited by infomax; 09-13-08 at 01:04 PM.
    09-13-08 12:54 PM
    I feel that the 3G reception is worse in this build # .147.. I see the signal bars sporadically drop low, very low to 1 bar before rising up again to 5.

Can't rule out that the Rogers network itself is having problems.

It is frustruating however.

On one hand, faster everything.. browser, maps, etc. Visibily so.

On the other hand, poorer 3G signal. It will be interesting to see what the signal is like in the basement at work on Monday. I can always get 5 bars at my desk there, if it's less, then I will know for sure it's definitely inferior 3G reception.
    09-13-08 03:17 PM
    I feel that the 3G reception is worse in this build # .147.. I see the signal bars sporadically drop low, very low to 1 bar before rising up again to 5.

Can't rule out that the Rogers network itself is having problems.

It is frustruating however.

On one hand, faster everything.. browser, maps, etc. Visibily so.

On the other hand, poorer 3G signal. It will be interesting to see what the signal is like in the basement at work on Monday. I can always get 5 bars at my desk there, if it's less, then I will know for sure it's definitely inferior 3G reception.

I have to disagree. I find the RF on .147 to be about the same as previous OS's. Here's a review of my bold with .147 and two others that also had .147. The 3G RF performed very well.

Blackberry Bold
    09-13-08 03:32 PM
    Well I was running .134 until I had to exchange my first Bold due to volume button failure... I was fairly disappointed to find that my "brand new" replacement Bold shipped with .092, instead of the .126 the first one came with... seems strange.. However the update to .147 seems to have gone 99% correct the only minor issue was having to reset up all my optins and logins again.. however that may be the case with every software update.. none the less so far so good.
    09-13-08 05:23 PM
    Well I was running .134 until I had to exchange my first Bold due to volume button failure... I was fairly disappointed to find that my "brand new" replacement Bold shipped with .092, instead of the .126 the first one came with... seems strange.. However the update to .147 seems to have gone 99% correct the only minor issue was having to reset up all my optins and logins again.. however that may be the case with every software update.. none the less so far so good.
    Then the previous bolds you've bought must have been non Rogers units or used cause a new Rogers unit would only come with .125.
    09-13-08 05:36 PM
    Well after the upgrade to .147 from .125 I've noticed less 3G call drop offs. I'm getting more 3G than Edge than before. Can't tell if battery life is any better. Browser is much faster and WiFi almost instantly gets on. It boots up seconds faster now than before usually in 3 seconds it's up and running.

Much improved IMO.
    09-13-08 07:18 PM
    BAHHHHHHHHHHHHH Completely deleted my contacts. Yeah everything else works, great 3g reception, less lag time, insanely fast bb maps. BUT IT DELETED ALL OF MY CONTACTS!
    If you backed up using the desktop manager like most instructions I've seen say to, why can't you restore your contacts?
    09-13-08 07:25 PM
    Okay, very detail this time.
    1) Uninstall all BB OS you have. Note: not DM
    2)Install .126 East Asia
    3)Install .147 new Beta ROM
    4)Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000-v4.6.0.126_P4.0.0.135\Java
    5) Click Edit, slect "Slect All"
    6) Ctrl + C copy all files
    7)Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000-v4.6.0.147_P4.0.0.144\Java
    8) Past,
    9) choose "Yes to All"
    10)Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000-v4.6.0.126_P4.0.0.135\UMTS
    11) Click Edit, slect " Slect all"
    12) Ctrl + C copy all files
    13)Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000-v4.6.0.147_P4.0.0.144\UMTS
    14) Past
    15) Choose " Yest to all"
    16) Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000-v4.6.0.126_P4.0.0.135
    17) Delect folder "Java" and "UMTS"
    18) Click Edit, slect " slect all"
    19) Ctrl + C, copy all files
    20) Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000-v4.6.0.147_P4.0.0.144
    21) Past,
    22) Choose " Yes to all"
    23) Install .147 again.
    24) Choose option " Repaire"
    25) After it finished intallation.
    Most Important Note: Del Vendor file
    26) Turn on DM
    27) Connect BB with computer Note: use USB cable
    28) DM should upgrade the OS for you.

Special notes: Always backup your BB before you do any upgrade.

If you need more help PIN me please.
    Thanks. Works like a charm.
    09-13-08 07:38 PM
    A couple of notes.

First off at&t released 4.6.0.147 to device testers on 9/8 and were told not to load it on the devices we had in hand which are the same chipset as the Rogers hw release.

We received new hardware on the afternoon of 9/8 and this was the second time RIM has done a complete hardware swap for device testers. 4.6.0.147 is being called the "new" final release candidate and the shipped devices for at&t will be at least 4.6.0.147.

So if you are using the 4.6.0.147 on the Roger's release Bold their MAY be issues, what I have been told was that the HW changes are related to 3G chips so the new SW may not help you much if you were having 3G issues on .134....
    09-13-08 08:37 PM
    A couple of notes.

First off at&t released 4.6.0.147 to device testers on 9/8 and were told not to load it on the devices we had in hand which are the same chipset as the Rogers hw release.

We received new hardware on the afternoon of 9/8 and this was the second time RIM has done a complete hardware swap for device testers. 4.6.0.147 is being called the "new" final release candidate and the shipped devices for at&t will be at least 4.6.0.147.

So if you are using the 4.6.0.147 on the Roger's release Bold their MAY be issues, what I have been told was that the HW changes are related to 3G chips so the new SW may not help you much if you were having 3G issues on .134....
    OMG, gimme a break. The AT&T bolds are and will be no different than the ones being sold to the rest of the world. Lol. The ones you were originally given were probably still the older beta units and the ones you got now are the ones that are the same as the Rogers ones.
    Last edited by carsmovies; 09-13-08 at 09:14 PM.
    09-13-08 09:10 PM
    OMG, gimme a break. The AT&T bolds are and will be no different than the ones being sold to the rest of the world. Lol. The ones you were originally given were probably still the older beta units and the ones you got now are the ones that are the same as the Rogers ones.
    it's laughable that people really want someone to believe that RIM is actually going to manufacture an entirely new set of hundreds of thousands of Bold's with ATT specific hardware (chipsets, or otherwise)...

that ATT casing and new software is about as different as it will be folks... use your brains...
    09-13-08 11:31 PM
    Well, I've now been playing with .147 for about 5 solid hours.... Sent and received maybe. 30 texts, done tonnes of surfing, watched a couple videos, used the music player, answered my emal and played a few rounds of brickbreaker..... Still have 70% battery and no problems at all with the new OS!!!! Browsing is much faster, generally better all around, but then I guess that's the point of an upgrade.....

09-14-08 12:27 AM
    Been running .147 with Orange UK for a few days and all seems markedly better than all previous releases I've tried, and battery life is greatly improved.

Wish there was a way to keep the wordmole high score and Texas Hold'em High cash pile through the upgrade process -hate having to start again!
    09-14-08 01:25 AM
    If anyone other than 'phonegeek' had told us that I would have been inclined to agree, but he is not known for posting incorrect information on here.

I agree it does sem a bit strange though... and someone did remark on here that a HW change would require new FCC approval, although I did query that statement at the time.
    09-14-08 03:51 AM
    Does anybody have the original Orange UK 4.6.0.92 OS, would love to rollback

No worries found it!!!
    Last edited by sykesy69; 09-14-08 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Found what I was looking for...
    09-14-08 11:03 AM
    Phonegeek has posted consistently reliable and accurate information. So while there is no way to independently verify this current information, I am certainly inclined to take him at his word.
    09-14-08 11:14 AM
    If anyone other than 'phonegeek' had told us that I would have been inclined to agree, but he is not known for posting incorrect information on here.

I agree it does sem a bit strange though... and someone did remark on here that a HW change would require new FCC approval, although I did query that statement at the time.

He's just speculating without any factual information to base his theory on. RIM is really gonna take back the thousands upon thousands of bolds and put different chip sets into them for AT&T. That's ridiculous.
    09-14-08 11:17 AM
    RIM has made carrier specific HW tweaks before. If phonegeek is correct then the ATT bolds might be branded as 9005s or something similar.

147 seems to be a step back when it comes to memory. Going from 38m to 22m with light use over two days.

The browser seems to be as fast as 134. Voice dailing seems to have regained it's pseudo intelligence (lost it with 134).

My wish list is simple:
    I want to only reboot my BB once a week (max!)
    I want JS to work
    And I want an ICON theme. Not an L, not a today or Zen; just a simple old fasioned Icon theme.

/whine

09-14-08 12:35 PM
    just downloaded the .134 ..just to confirm for what i read previously, it's a good update vs the 125 that i currently run from my rogers bold?

i understood that the 147 is the same than the rogers 125 os?

a little bit confuse here
    09-14-08 12:40 PM
    Updated to .147 about 48hrs ago on my Rogers Bold. So far so good, it's true what everyones saying about slightly improved battery life, faster browser and increase in application memory.

BUT, two things that I've noticed:

1. Unable to view videos on youtube mobile. I'm able to go on the site and search and when I click on a particular vid it takes me to the media player. However the media player displays an error msg and says unable to play video. Any ideas as to why?

2. All day events (such as bdays and anniversaries) became 2 day events after the upgrade. So if I had entered a bday on sept 14, after the update my calendar showed the bday for both sept 14 and 15. All I had to do to fix this was go into calendar options and change the start and end times for a daily event. After that step was complete I did have to go into each bday/anniversary and de-select and re-select "all day event option" very annoying.

Anyone else notice any other glitches in .147? Or possible solutions to my issues?

09-14-08 03:40 PM
    Youtube is working fine over 3G... Still does not work over wifi.

09-14-08 04:15 PM
    Folks,

I have been traveling from Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Washington. I have a Rogers Bold unlocked and using it on FIDO with absolutely no problem. The installed firmware is 147. The model was made in Canada.

The only software I have installed is a Beta pdf reader, Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry and Nav4All. I also have an 8GM media card with a whole lot of info and manuals on it. The EDGE, 2G and 3G will swap like normal depending where you are. I am so surprised some are having problems.

I installed the firmware 147 on Friday 12th at 14:30 EDST.
    09-14-08 04:24 PM
    Youtube is working fine over 3G... Still does not work over wifi.

Youtube working or not is a hit and miss thing on a daily and sometimes even hourly basis regardless of the OS so far. Therefore, it's my theory that it's network related.
    09-14-08 04:36 PM
    RIM has made carrier specific HW tweaks before. If phonegeek is correct then the ATT bolds might be branded as 9005s or something similar.

147 seems to be a step back when it comes to memory. Going from 38m to 22m with light use over two days.

The browser seems to be as fast as 134. Voice dailing seems to have regained it's pseudo intelligence (lost it with 134).

My wish list is simple:
    I want to only reboot my BB once a week (max!)
    I want JS to work
    And I want an ICON theme. Not an L, not a today or Zen; just a simple old fasioned Icon theme.

/whine

Well if it is true, which I highly doubt, then the AT&T bolds would have to go through FCC approval again so until this is shown to have happened it's all B.S.
    09-14-08 04:39 PM
225 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD