Did anybody here switched FROM iphone 3GS or Nexus One or Droid to Blackberry Bold 9700? Any regrets? How long did you use the previous phone and the Bold now? Why did you switch? What about speed? What did you gain? What did you lose? What was the primary reason to do the switch? Is it just the real keyboard? Didn't you feel like you are missing big part of new technologies/Web browser?
    Thanks!!!
    05-21-10 01:39 AM
    Hi there!

There are a bunch of threads listed already of users who have both an iPhone and the Bold 9700 or the Nexus and the Bold, or who left the iPhone for a Bold. You should search and read those forums. They'll be very helpful! From my understanding, a lot of people like the iPhone b/c of the apps; same with the Droid and alot of other bonuses. But there's this one guy who did a poll on the Nexus and the Bold, saying it was a close tie, but he was going to keep his Bold. GOOD LUCK!
    05-21-10 03:43 AM
    I went from the Nexus One to the Bold. I think every person has their own set of preferences. I'd like mine with keyboard so I went back to a Bold. This is the 3rd BB I've had lifetime. I went from the 8350>8900>9700. I've had multiple iPhones, HTC phones, and the Nexus One.
    05-21-10 04:52 AM
    I use both the iphone and my bold...I use my iphone mainly as a itouch...no sim in it anymore..but its good to have a backup...I switched back due to battery drain...on my droid, my iphone the battery would be dead by 2-3pm where my bb seems to go forever with the same usage

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 06:50 PM
    I went from 3GS to Nexus One to 9700... back to Nexus One... back to 9700... and now 9650

I have issues

Seriously though, now that I'm over the eye candy novelty of Android, and need a phone with GOOD signal quality, good speaker, great efficiency and GREAT battery life... there is only one solution... Blackberry!
    Last edited by mi_canuck; 05-21-10 at 09:17 PM.
    05-21-10 09:13 PM
    How are you liking the 9650? Is the speed similar in and out of apps and on the web? What is the battery like? I'
    05-21-10 09:21 PM
    That got cut off, I was asking in comparison to the 9700
    05-21-10 09:23 PM
    OS speed very similar (i've only had it a day so far though)... having 310+MB of free mem after installing all my apps is quite nice

Data speeds - for me - MUCH faster! That's why I switched... couldn't take T-Mo's $#!tty data speeds (my area has great T-Mo coverage, bull 3G bars, but for some reason.... super slow data speeds, so I couldn't take it anymore)... Sprint data speeds are at least double if not triple.... plus better in building signal than with T-Mo...

Overall I'm really liking the 9650... keyboard is supposed to be the same, but since the keyboard had a bit of side-to-side curvature... it's like it opens up the keyboard and makes it feel larger... the device itself is a bit heavier... a bit wider and taller... but feel more solid than the 9700... bezel is definitely more solid...

already got the craddle for it (same as a 9630 craddle)... better design than the 9700 version... the back of the craddle is taller so it holds it better...

I did like the battery cover on the 9700 better.... nicer feeling, and more grippy... But at least the 9650 has some rubberized texture to it, unlike the 9630 (from what I can see - never owned a 9630)...
    05-21-10 09:49 PM
    Cool, so a good device made better?
    05-21-10 09:55 PM
    the trackpad is a bit uneven, but overall yeah... very good. better than expected actually!

(my 9700 had a bit of a loose bezel on the left, so it wasn't completely perfect either)
    05-21-10 10:02 PM
    I recently got a Bold 9700 from the Nexus. It's just a whole different use pattern.

With the Nexus, I would spend my time with it browsing forums, blogs, news, etc. I would fire off short email or IM messages but would refrain from real conversation until I got to a laptop.

With the 9700, I leave it on IM all day. Even when I'm near a laptop, sometimes I just keep on messaging on the mobile. But for content consumption, any site that doesn't have a mobile version or a dedicated app is just too painful. I rarely venture out on the real web with the Bold unless I'm not going to have access to a laptop for quite a while.
    05-21-10 10:10 PM
    I'd agree with you... the Nexus was more a 'toy' but messaging wasn't smooth and fluid... Web browsing was amazing, but once I got over the novelty... I realised I don't have a smartphone to replace a laptop or computer for browsing... If I want that... I'd get a tablet like the iPad... With the Blackberry... first 9700 now 9650... messaging, email, IM, SMS, MMS, you name it.. is just so fluid and instinctive... Notification are BAR NONE, the best on the BB.... I use the holster too, which brings it to another level... RIM must have designed the holsters perfectly so the vibrate feature travels right through to the clip so feel it instantly!

I've learned the hard way, that I value strong signal, good phone performance, good battery life, over a fancy web browser and thousands of apps of which only 5% are truly useful... Appworld is somewhat lame, but the few apps I have and actually use, are top notch and worth every penny...
    05-21-10 10:27 PM
    Yeah the browser on BB is painful and while I'm still considering Android, I'm hesitant. Messaging is so important to me...I'm always emailing/IMing/txting people. My S.O. and I are busy during the day and we like to keep in touch via email and he writes LONG stuff so I want to too.

I don't think I could do that on an Android device...touchscreens in particular really frustrate me.

05-21-10 11:00 PM
    The browser really isn't as bad as many people slam it for... Nowhere near as good as iphone or android, but frankly it's fine for 95% of the time... All it would need is Flash... But once OS 6 hits, we'll finally have the webkit browser!

05-22-10 06:31 AM
    Yeah I don't get why people slam the browser...well native browser is slow, but a 3rd party app, which is free helps a ton...my 9700 running bolt v2.0 is a hair slower than my wife's mytouch, SIL's Driod and buddies N1...like people can't be that impatient, can they? Of course they can, lol!

By the way, I had a Cliq for a short while as well...what an atrocious phone that was...

Also Canuck, I have fine speeds on T-Mobile...under EDGE 99% of the time to boot...

05-22-10 07:02 AM
    I'm using Bolt too and I still don't like the browser.

Yes, it's pretty fast for mobile sites but if you try to load anything else, it just doesn't render well. It's a real PITA for me. I feel that it's difficult to navigate too.

05-22-10 09:06 AM
    so glad to be reading this stuff... I was losing sleep over my decision to buy a Nexus one, which I've had for less than two weeks, I'm going to start the dreadful return policy today and pick up the 9700. My main reason.... BATTERY LIFE. I need a phone that can get through at least a day with moderate use, and yes I've implemented all the battery saving tips.
    While I like the N1 browser and media capabilities, I realized I need a device that is equal parts phone/messaging to entertainment/media.
    Browsing this site has calmed the panic and unsure-ness.
    I look forward to the 9700 a lot more now.
    05-22-10 09:50 AM
    05-22-10 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD