I keep reading that 3g phones won't be able to accept text or incoming/outgoing calls in about 6 months. I'll miss using my BB Bold so much!
    10-21-20 01:28 PM
    I keep reading that 3g phones won't be able to accept text or incoming/outgoing calls in about 6 months. I'll miss using my BB Bold so much!
    Depends where you're at. In USA, both T-Mobile and VZW are shutting it down in a few months. AT&T is about 12 months later when BB shuts everything down on their end too.
    10-21-20 10:18 PM
    In the US, 3G tech is being decommissioned so that 5G can be deployed on those old frequencies (the amount of bandwidth each cell provider is allowed to use is quite limited, and 5G is far more efficient and will make better use of the bandwidth). That's going to be happening next year, with Verizon shutting off their 3G very early in 2021, and AT&T shutting theirs off a little later in the year. T-Mo has already decommissioned 3G, and so has Sprint, which T-Mo now owns.

And, yes, that's going to be the end of cellular usefulness of all BBOS devices in the US. It may also end BB10 devices as phones, as actual phone calling service will require phones that support MODERN VoLTE (Voice over LTE) implementations, and it seems that BB10's implementation is an earlier standard that doesn't seem like it will be supported - but we'll have to wait and see for sure.

BB Android phones will be fine, to the degree that they support the correct LTE bands, but that's another issue, as carriers will likely reshuffle band usage in many areas with the 5G rollout, and BB Android phones are already missing a few LTE bands. Conceivably, some phones could gain coverage if the band usage reshuffle happens in favor of the bands supported by the phone, but it's a certainty that in many areas, the phones will lose useful coverage. This will be a problem for many older phones that were built before some of these bands were in use.
    10-21-20 10:28 PM