Whenever I am at home, talking to someone on my phone, my phone switches to the GPRS network. I have GREAT (4-5 bars) of 3G coverage when I'm not using it to talk. I can use the web browser, send email, etc. perfectly fine when I'm not on a call.

A couple questions:
    1) Why does it switch?
    2) Can I prevent it from switching?

Thanks!
    06-18-09 10:29 PM
    This is odd. You may want to check with your service provider. I know sometimes my bold will go to EDGE if it cant find 3G but most times it is only for a moment or two. My phone does stay on 3G during calls as long as i have 3G service.
    06-20-09 11:08 AM
    Yeah it's weird because it does it sometimes, but not others, and I put it in the exact same spot!
    06-20-09 11:13 AM
    It must just be the service in your area. It is weird it doesn't go to EDGE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 11:24 AM
    WOW, same thing with me...its so annoying because it makes my speakers act wierd and they are right next to my bed in range of my phone call.

I have the same exact problem as you and I cant even go into edge. It makes me so mad....even with my friends sim card I get edge so its very frustrating.

where do you live?
    06-20-09 11:40 AM
    3G is not everywhere like ATT advertised. I live in ATL and I don't even get 3G 80% of the time.
    06-20-09 12:55 PM
    I think this is more of an issue whith ATT then your phone. Where I live I get 3G. Where I go to college ots EDGE so its just based on the coverage area.

06-20-09 02:58 PM
    I don't think so, because with my friends sim card, I at least get edge in the same spot where with my sim card I get GSM.

Maybe a sim card issue? but when I went to the att reps they said gsm was the same thing as edge and they didnt want to do anything...so that was lame.

Btw I always get 3g in my town...there aren't any dead zones I know of..
    06-20-09 03:27 PM
    Same here. I live in a really good 3g area, but my phone will occasionally jump down to gprs when I'm on a call, for no apparent reason. Sometimes I'll end the call and switch the radio off and on again, which usually fixes it. But it's annoying as **** considering I'm dead center in a solid 3g area and have a tower less than a half mile away. And it's so random and not the norm.

06-20-09 05:22 PM
    There are dead zones in my town, but it's weird that I can have full 3G, make a call, and have it switch down to GPRS. WTF?!? Just now, I was on the phone, and it didn't switch. I have no idea what is going on or why it does that. BTW, I live in Colorado Springs.
    06-21-09 01:37 AM
    What is the difference between GPRS and Edge?

06-21-09 04:32 AM
    Mine has always done that, no matter where I am. It really irritates me. I just live with it, especially since I never use voice and data at one time.

06-21-09 08:53 AM
    3G is not everywhere like ATT advertised. I live in ATL and I don't even get 3G 80% of the time.
    im in atl also and i stay on 3G 95% of the time. its just that 3G is so draining on the battery i prefer 2G and it is just as fast IMO
    06-21-09 10:13 AM
    3G barely drains my battery at all... It is just annoying that it can't stay on 3G all the time, even in high signal areas!
    06-21-09 01:17 PM
    this happens to me a ton, i live in a solid 3g signal area, my girlsfriend lives 5 minutes away where the singal is spotty because it is so close to the canadian border. at the same area everytime i drive to her house the signal goes from searching for signal to gprs to GPRS to edge to Rogers signal. sucks but thats what i go through everytime i go to her house.
    06-21-09 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD