Anyone out there with a Verizon 3G Bold still having great results and performance? Are you still experiencing great call quality with 3G? I just ordered a new in the box bold 9930 for Verizon off of eBay
    I'm looking to make this my standard work horse for calls email and texting
    going to keep my iPhone 6s Plus as my mini tablet for apps and music
    Just wondering if I shouldn't have gone for BB 10 in the BlackBerry classic
    Diehard BlackBerry Fan looking forward to either one and any discussion
    thanks have a great night
    05-06-17 02:28 AM
    The Bold seems to still be the sentimental favorite. Any drawbacks I am ignorant to with OS7? I like the size and feel. I have owned a Classic and I regret selling it.
    05-06-17 02:55 AM
    The Bold seems to still be the sentimental favorite. Any drawbacks I am ignorant to with OS7? I like the size and feel. I have owned a Classic and I regret selling it.
    I think the drawbacks at this point have to do with speed, browser compatibility, and app availability. We have a working and dead apps list, so you can assess that for yourself, before getting a device. The rest really requires some hands on time. It's not going to feel like a new iPhone or Android, but it has benefits those devices lack.

But remember, you're looking at a 2011 device. It's a PDA on steroids. If you don't know what a PDA is, you probably don't want one.

Also, the Q10 is a great device if you're looking at BlackBerry 10. A used one is very inexpensive and has the benefit of a removable battery, which the Classic lacks.
    idssteve likes this.
    05-08-17 10:02 PM
    Second everything Shuswap says.

I carry and use both 9930 and Classic. 99 still does 90% of heavy lifting, for me. Classic about 9%. Passport, Z30 and D60 are dragged out & along the remaining 1% of time. Rough figures, of course. ‎

Single handed friendliness is a BIG deal for me. Life is too short to waste precious time occupying both hands doing tasks that can be efficiently accomplished using a single hand... with the right equipment, that is.

9900 provides absolutely THE right equipment. Starting with a handset form factor sized to fit a human hand! . Its exquisite keyboard still sets THE standard others are inevitably judged by. Especially for single handed use, imo. The thing truly charms words from thumbs in enchanting ways!

Relatively compact form factor Q10's KB truly does challenge 9900 KB for typing experience. BUT, some fools at RIM crippled the thing by omitting toolbelt! Imo. It all depends on individual use case but I challenge ANYone to select spreadsheet cells, place cursor and edit several hundred of those cells without inducing vessel popping blood pressure by day's end, at least. Lol. Extra room on Z30 or D60 adds NOthing to the spreadsheet editing experience, either. Imo. The exact same limitations apply to countless other activities but spreadsheet editing illustrates that limitation best.

Then there's BB10's GUI that, like most other GUIs these days, inevitably finds SOME way to demand involving the other hand by placing essential buttons like "send" etc beyond comfortable thumb reach. Do development teams ever actually USE these so called "modern" GUIs? ??? Idk. Am I so unique in valuing activities that can be accomplished with the other hand? Like typing this while feeding face over breakfast? My ancestors evolved bipedal locomotion partly to free up hands for other activities. My ancestors evolved vocal cords partly to free hands from communications activities. 9930 provides my left hand with fantastically productive global communications capabilities in exchange for tying up that hand fairly regularly. Occupying BOTH hands for communications activities, when a single properly equipped hand can do the job, feels too much like pre-neanderthal DE-evolution, to me. Hardly "modern", imo. Lol.

All that said, there are some things 99 no longer does well. Mostly by virtue of its orphaned platform. ‎ To that end, I carry and use other platforms to fill in functional gaps. Gaps opening as OS7 suffers slow euthanasia thru neglect. Most common of these "secondary carry fill in" devices is my Classic.

Classic is oversized, overweight, and suffers the same idiotic embedded battery syndrome afflicting ‎virtually ALL "modern" smartphones, these days. *Wouldn't ever want to positively power down microphones, cameras, GPS along with contact lists... would we? Lol. No, I'm no foil hatter. Don't have to look long at certain regimes around the world to see where a "foil-like" Faraday cage for sequestering 'soft off' embedded battery devices might one day have market potential, tho.?? Lol.

‎Classic is my most used secondary carry simply because its toolbelt still makes the oversized thing THE most single handed friendly handset of BB10. Or any other platform, ftm. Imo. "Send" button stupidly located at the top corner? No problem. Send cursor up there with quick flick on trackpad and continue feeding face with right hand... lol.

OR, what I really love about Classic's single handed friendliness is that two hands can operate both Classic and 99 simultaneously! A VERY powerful combo that affords strengths of both platforms and permits things like viewing and updating calendar, contacts, messages, spreadsheets, etc ‎in one hand while simultaneously talking, texting, etc in the other hand. If you're going to occupy both hands, might as well double productivity, screen estate, etc while doing it. Imo. Coordinating multiple crews and clients in real time is where these capabilities shine. Imo.

OK, breakfast finished. Back to real work...
    ArbuckleWillis likes this.
    05-09-17 09:32 AM
    Steve, c'mon, seriously?You're writing it by one hand and at the same time you are eating your breakfast?
    05-10-17 04:08 AM
    Steve, c'mon, seriously?You're writing it by one hand and at the same time you are eating your breakfast?
    Yep. Field work can be pretty lonely at times. Lol. Not permitted while dining with the wife, tho.
    05-10-17 05:42 AM
    Everyone so far has said what you're looking for, but ill add my 2 cents as well. I had a q10 on tmobile and had absolutely horrible service. Fast when I had it but I might as well have just sent smoke signals when I lost coverage(I'm in a very urban and developed area, tmobile just sucks). So I got fed up and switched to verizon, my q10 wasn't compatable so I got a bold 9930 off ebay for a really good price. The service is amazing! Crystal clear phone calls no matter where I am, text messages no longer fail to send or any other tomfoolery. Web browsing, at least as far as data speeds are super fast, I often forget its just a 3g phone

It is an older device, so naturally web browsing on on some sites will be slow and tedious, and app support is virtually non existant. (The bbworld does have some pretty fun games though!) But if you mostly jusy do basic phone stuff and light web browsing the bold 9930 is an excellent choice! Its my primary phone! And funnily enough, I actually intend on getting a classic after I have the cash saved up
    idssteve likes this.
    05-10-17 09:02 AM
    Everyone so far has said what you're looking for, but ill add my 2 cents as well. I had a q10 on tmobile and had absolutely horrible service. Fast when I had it but I might as well have just sent smoke signals when I lost coverage(I'm in a very urban and developed area, tmobile just sucks). So I got fed up and switched to verizon, my q10 wasn't compatable so I got a bold 9930 off ebay for a really good price. The service is amazing! Crystal clear phone calls no matter where I am, text messages no longer fail to send or any other tomfoolery. Web browsing, at least as far as data speeds are super fast, I often forget its just a 3g phone

It is an older device, so naturally web browsing on on some sites will be slow and tedious, and app support is virtually non existant. (The bbworld does have some pretty fun games though!) But if you mostly jusy do basic phone stuff and light web browsing the bold 9930 is an excellent choice! Its my primary phone! And funnily enough, I actually intend on getting a classic after I have the cash saved up
    Does BIS work? Thanks for your post.
    05-14-17 11:02 PM
    BIS is fine on my Verizon 9930. In the States, at least. I've been working in very remote conditions for several months. My ATT stuff is worthless, out here. Verizon stuff doing fine out here. Including BIS.

There are locations where ATT works better than VZW, so it's a matter of where to use what... which is why I have handsets for both carriers. I find BIS is still flawless on either.
    05-14-17 11:32 PM
    Hahahaha! It would take me a week to type that much with one hand. I've loaned my Blackberry to a friend who needed it to search stuff on Google (he does not have a cell and he claims he never will own a "Brain Cancer Machine") and he has faster typing than I do at times.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    05-15-17 05:31 PM
    That Bold on Big Red will keep getting the job done.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.3.2049
    05-15-17 05:40 PM
    Hahahaha! It would take me a week to type that much with one hand. I've loaned my Blackberry to a friend who needed it to search stuff on Google (he does not have a cell and he claims he never will own a "Brain Cancer Machine") and he has faster typing than I do at times.

A matter of practice. Some of us might require more practice than others, lol. Working with our resident "speed demon" is humbling. Lol. She is world class fast and PRECISE on everything from desktop to iPhone. All with LONG fingernails! Some brains are just naturally wired that way.

I've long recognized typing as an essential skill of modern life... like driving, reading, etc... A good thing to be good at... however much practice required... Quite a lot, in my case. Lol.
    05-17-17 11:42 AM
    A matter of practice. Some of us might require more practice than others, lol. Working with our resident "speed demon" is humbling. Lol. She is world class fast and PRECISE on everything from desktop to iPhone. All with LONG fingernails! Some brains are just naturally wired that way.

I've long recognized typing as an essential skill of modern life... like driving, reading, etc... A good thing to be good at... however much practice required... Quite a lot, in my case. Lol.
    I'm typing this on the 9900 right now and i have to say that I always try to use both thumbs, two-handed BUT because of the perfect size of this device there are no special skills required to fully support it with 2 fingers and type with the thumb on the same hand. It really is the perfect size IMO.

05-17-17 05:27 PM
    I'm typing this on the 9900 right now and i have to say that I always try to use both thumbs, two-handed BUT because of the perfect size of this device there are no special skills required to fully support it with 2 fingers and type with the thumb on the same hand. It really is the perfect size IMO.

+1000 !!
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-17-17 08:36 PM