I've had my 9700 for 3 months, it's an Orange sim free handset from Carphone Warehouse in the UK.
    I noticed today that a piece of plastic that seperates the lines on the keypad has snapped off and the remainder is loose. Also, the paint on the raised part of the 5/D key has worn off
    Obviously I'm seriously unhappy about this, I took the phone back to CPW who say that I have to send it off for 28 days for their engineers to "repair" or contact Blackberry myself. I'd expect the handset to last longer than three months, I've never dropped it or damaged it in any way, the piece just fell off!

Has anyone else had this problem? Who should I talk to to fix this or get a new handset?
    04-30-10 10:02 AM
    Saving a couple dollars/euros/pasos/whatever in the beginning does not always work out well down the road... I purchased mine directly from T-Mobile and IF that happened to me TMO would be shipping me a new/refurbished one that day... I think you are going to have to deal with Carphone Warehouse, since they are the place you purchased your phone from... I've heard they are this way.
    04-30-10 10:56 AM
    Because you have had the handset for longer than 28 days they won't swap it for a new one, but will do a warranty repair. Wouldn't have thought it would take 28 days to repair it, though.

Edit: I just checked the paperwork that came with mine and it reckons that most repairs are completed in less than a day. - Did you mix up the 28 days?
    Last edited by veii; 04-30-10 at 11:09 AM.
    04-30-10 11:05 AM
    No, she definitely said it may take up to 28 days from sending the phone away to getting it back and that it will be free but there is no guarentee that it'll get fixed.
    Its annoying really as it isn't something that's obviously fixable. What will they do? Replace the whole keypad,
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

04-30-10 11:20 AM
    No, she definitely said it may take up to 28 days from sending the phone away to getting it back and that it will be free but there is no guarentee that it'll get fixed.
    Its annoying really as it isn't something that's obviously fixable. What will they do? Replace the whole keypad,

Wow, that's bad. All they need to do is put a new keyboard in it!

I was lucky: my first one fell apart within the 28 days so they just swapped it, and luckily my replacement is really well built. (Fingers crossed.)

I'd say just get a keyboard and swap it yourself, but 1. That will void the warranty and if something else happens to it you're screwed and 2. You shouldn't have to.

04-30-10 11:36 AM

I bought my 9700 from CPW for cash. It too is SIM free. I have so far had it replaced twice within the first 30 days. This was a straight swap out, in-store.

I also took my old and busted 8900 into CPW for repair under warranty (also bought SIM free from CPW) and was told it would take 28 days to fix. It was back in 3 days.

I believe that CPW say 28 days for a repair for three reasons. One, the customer gets a nice surprise when it turns up after less than a week. Two, they are covering themselves if it really takes a while. Three, the customer might then buy a new phone.
    04-30-10 12:07 PM
    Can you not ask if you can take it to one of CPW's express repair centers?
    04-30-10 04:57 PM
    The phone has a 1 year warranty. Just tkae it to Carphone and tell them to give to the service centre I think u may need the 3210 as a substitute

05-01-10 06:15 AM
    The phone has a 1 year warranty. Just tkae it to Carphone and tell them to give to the service centre I think u may need the 3210 as a substitute

I believe that if you ask CPW, they will tell you that you actually have a 24 month warranty. This is because RIM warranty all their phones for 2 years.

This is pretty much the life of a phone these days so it keeps the carriers happy.

Carriers selling 24 month contracts will never have to pay oput for a busted phone. It is either RIM's problem or the customer's.
    05-01-10 06:22 AM
    Can you not ask if you can take it to one of CPW's express repair centers?
    Not heard of these and it wasn't mentioned when I went into CPW. Can't find any details of where a local one is, the websites link is broken!
    05-01-10 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD