So I did the whole escreen thing wihtout debranding and all that, and I have a question about battery usage. Would 5 Bars of 3G be better than 3-5 bars of 2G for battery? I also seem to get better coverage with 3g :/
    05-26-09 03:28 PM
    I think any bars of 2G will always be better on battery than 3G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 03:30 PM
    yea anytime you are on 3G, its going to drain the battery more than while on 2G. a weaker signal in either mode will drain quicker than a full signal. but 3G hogs more than 2G no matter what the signal strength.
    05-26-09 04:48 PM
    If you get good 3g signal, just leave it on 3g and screw the battery... You will still get pretty decent battery life because your 3g signal doesn't suck and it doesn't have to keep transitioning.

Speed, simulatenous voice/data, good reception and better battery results than having to switch between 2g/3g = win/win.
    05-26-09 04:51 PM
    If you get good 3g signal, just leave it on 3g and screw the battery... You will still get pretty decent battery life because your 3g signal doesn't suck and it doesn't have to keep transitioning.

Speed, simulatenous voice/data, good reception and better battery results than having to switch between 2g/3g = win/win.
    until calls start dropping.
    05-26-09 04:54 PM
    until calls start dropping.
    I think that's why he qualified it with "if you get good 3G signal." 3G coverage really doesn't suck everywhere, and where it's strong, it's awesome.
    05-27-09 01:39 AM
    I think that's why he qualified it with "if you get good 3G signal." 3G coverage really doesn't suck everywhere, and where it's strong, it's awesome.
    stationary is no problem. its when you are driving and the handoffs suck. thats when calls drop. i let 3 calls drop before i unbranded to solve the issue.
    05-27-09 01:49 AM
    Huh. I almost never drop a call. When I do, I'm almost always at home, and I'd say about half the time I can get more 3G bars than EDGE at home, so for me it's not so cut and dry. When I leave both GERAN and UTRAN enabled, I can drive all over the city and use Pandora and a GPS navigator simultaneously without losing a signal. I mostly just disable 3G at work where I know it's never going to find a good 3G signal and I can't be browsing and talking at the same time anyway.
    05-27-09 03:09 AM
    most of the Bold dropped calls are from 3G to EDGE only tower handoffs. i guess your area is nicely blanketed in 3G. some areas are still spotty and people drop calls alot while in motion.
    05-27-09 04:32 AM
    Yeah, nicely blanketed except at my house! That's not even nicely blanketed in EDGE! I do think 3G is pretty darn good in most of my city though.

This is why I think users need to be given control of which network they want to use. Performance varies so much from place to place that one setting isn't always going to be the best solution for all users.
    05-27-09 04:48 AM
    I'm always on 2G, for battery life issues. Not to mention all I do is message, so it actually doesn't send any faster on 3g than on 2g, it still needs to talk to the tower, and say it needs to send soemthing. Unless i'm downloading a file or sending a file, I don't see N E Differences xcept in battery life.
    05-27-09 05:40 AM
    All I do is text and listen to music. Right now, at around 3 PM EST time, I have 90% after around an hour of listening to music, and 17 texts received. I go to school where I have bad signal, so that could also be an issue. It seems like my battery drains more on EDGE :/
    05-27-09 01:58 PM
    My area doesnt get 3G, and im always on edge, and never had any problems with dropped calls, and i still think is very fast! Im assuming it comes up 3G if youre in a 3G area?...lol Never seen it...lol
    05-27-09 03:05 PM
    My area doesnt get 3G, and im always on edge, and never had any problems with dropped calls, and i still think is very fast! Im assuming it comes up 3G if youre in a 3G area?...lol Never seen it...lol
    I bet you would actually see some battery and performance boosts by disabling 3G then. If you're phone is AT&T branded, it's constantly trying to access 3G. If you're not having problems, no need to mess with it, but it would be something I'd try.
    05-28-09 04:17 AM
    I've never had any problems, so prolly won't mess with it. Don't have any prob with battery life or signal. And not sure how to disable it anyways...lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 05:59 PM
    I said to set it to 3G if you have solid 3g signal. If you have problems with 3g dropping, then just set it to 2g...

And yeah if you don't get any 3g at all, you would definitely be better off setting it to 2g only.
    05-28-09 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD