Hi

im expecting to recevied my BB9900 tomorrow, and i ve been reading about wich leak or official OS is best for the 9900.

can someone tell me wich one is better ??

thanks
    08-24-11 05:28 AM
    I tried all 3 of them.

MY 9900 came with 296 and it was horrible, bbm messages take forever till they are delivered and the battery life was horrible

317 fixes the lag in sending BBM Messages but was even worse in battery life

261 is the sweet spot giving you very good performance and much improved battery life by a big margin

Thanks to gregg who suggested me to downgrade!
    TomCanuck likes this.
    08-24-11 05:36 AM
    I tried all 3 of them.

MY 9900 came with 296 and it was horrible, bbm messages take forever till they are delivered and the battery life was horrible

317 fixes the lag in sending BBM Messages but was even worse in battery life

261 is the sweet spot giving you very good performance and much improved battery life by a big margin

Thanks to gregg who suggested me to downgrade!

but isnt supposed that the latest leaks or official OS are overall better then the previous one�s???!!!
    its weird!!!!!!
    08-24-11 05:40 AM
    but isnt supposed that the latest leaks or official OS are overall better then the previous one�s???!!!
    its weird!!!!!!
    Weird? No, this has never been the case.

It is always best to read users' experiences to find out the best OS

Latest is in no way always the greatest
    08-24-11 05:43 AM
    Weird? No, this has never been the case.

It is always best to read users' experiences to find out the best OS

Latest is in no way always the greatest

ok, but in this case im confused because i read different opinions related to the best OS for the 9900!!!!
    08-24-11 05:49 AM
    well different users have different experiences depending on where they live (affects connectivity), apps installed, settings, etc.

Feel free to try them all, I just thought of sharing my experience with the 3 to give you an idea and possible save you some hassle because upgrading / downgrading isn't very easy anymore on the 9900, I have found out that upgrading / downgrading without wiping the device, makes your application list in the options go blank with 0 apps registered even though they are there. Only wiping the device and installing an OS from scratch makes the app list work.

It is a big hassle to install all the apps and their settings and license keys all over again.
    08-24-11 06:00 AM
    With leak .317 for some users the application list is empty. This happened to me as well, I rolled down to .296. Waiting next leak.
    08-24-11 06:51 AM
    With leak .317 for some users the application list is empty. This happened to me as well, I rolled down to .296. Waiting next leak.
    The application list being empty is because you just upgraded using Loader, if you wipe your device and then install fresh, the app list will be there

But it's not a great OS anyway so dont bother
    08-24-11 07:38 AM
    296 working very well for me
    08-24-11 07:52 AM
    .296 working very well for me in the uk
    08-24-11 07:58 AM
    .261 all is well here, should see some leaks soon ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 08:04 AM
    .317 working well for me in Toronto
    08-24-11 10:27 AM
    .317 working well for me in Toronto
    It has nothing to do with your location.

08-24-11 10:30 AM
    I have the Sprint Bold 9930 version .241 and the battery life is very good. I'm not going to upload any unofficial leaked updates, I'll just wait for the official Sprint software update. Overall the Bold 9930 is a terrific device, keeps getting better every day
    08-24-11 10:34 AM
    I have the Sprint Bold 9930 version .241 and the battery life is very good. I'm not going to upload any unofficial leaked updates, I'll just wait for the official Sprint software update. Overall the Bold 9930 is a terrific device, keeps getting better every day
    I've got one also, and while I'm running 241, and the battery life is not where I'd like it to be. I've been considering several options, but before I run and upgrade I'm looking for the small fix first. Suggestions?

08-24-11 10:51 AM
    What are these .numbers?

9900 Rogers montreal
    08-24-11 11:08 AM
    is there a tutorial on how to downgrade your blackberry, i wanna try it out, see if the battery works better on .261, i have .317 now and i can just BARELY get 1 day outta it ... being very conservative with my usage
    08-24-11 03:32 PM
    is there a tutorial on how to downgrade your blackberry, i wanna try it out, see if the battery works better on .261, i have .317 now and i can just BARELY get 1 day outta it ... being very conservative with my usage
    I backup using blackberry desktop software, wipe my device using bbsak, then load a fresh os using loader.exe

after that, i restore the backup, then start downloading my apps again

I know its a bit tedious to restore apps, but i hate how bbsak backs up your apps that way you won't even see them in the applist to uninstall them in the future if you need to.
    zb_stylez likes this.
    08-24-11 03:34 PM
    Upgraded from .296 to .317. No real change.

Same bugs in each OS: duplicate music albums and calendar won't sync with gmail.
    08-24-11 03:34 PM
    won't sync with gmail.
    I had this exact problem today when I downgraded from 296 to 261.

I was not getting emails. What I had to do was delete the email accounts from the Email Setup, then re-add them one at a time again.

I got the activation email immediately and emails started flowing properly then
    08-24-11 03:36 PM
    I backup using blackberry desktop software, wipe my device using bbsak, then load a fresh os using loader.exe

after that, i restore the backup, then start downloading my apps again

I know its a bit tedious to restore apps, but i hate how bbsak backs up your apps that way you won't even see them in the applist to uninstall them in the future if you need to.
    yeah it seems way to tedious for me to even bother, i dont think i'll have an issue until i have to go back to university and im on campus all day without a charger, so hopefulyl theres another leak that gives a little more juice to the battery before that haha

thanks for the help
    08-24-11 03:37 PM
    Upgraded from .296 to .317. No real change.

Same bugs in each OS: duplicate music albums and calendar won't sync with gmail.
    thanks for your response. i was about upgrading tonight.
    but the confusing issue is that other users have responded positively to it. are you sure you did a clean install?
    08-24-11 04:48 PM
    To save on typing, ppl simply refer to the firmware version by the last three digits. The higher the number the newer the firmware.

Hence firmware v. 7.0.0.261 would simply be known as ".261" (at least in these forums - since the newest Blackberries come with OS version 7, it's a given that in the BB 9900/9930 forums people will be talking about OS 7 versions of firmware. Older Blackberries have different OS versions - 5 & 6)

Keep in mind that the latest firmware versions may vary between between different carriers worldwide. One carrier's latest release may be 7.0.0.261, while another carrier may be offering v.7.0.0.296 ...

To complicate matters, there are "officially released" and "leaked" versions of firmware.

Currently,
    - the latest officially released firmware for the 9900 is v. 7.0.0.296 (a.k.a ".296")
    - the latest unofficial release, or "leaked" firmware for the 9900 is v.7.0.0.317 (a.k.a ".317)

You can check which version of software/firmware you have on your phone by following these steps:
    - on your home screen, click the options icon (wrench)
    - scroll down and select "Device"
    - scroll down and select "About Device Versions"
    - third line down you will see the software version in brackets (v7.0.0.xxx, Platform 5.0.0.xxx)

Alternatively, you can see what firmware version is on your phone when you plug your phone into your computer while running the Blackberry Desktop Manager (free download).

Hope this helps.

PS ... and welcome to CrackBerry
    You're awesome!! Always ready to extend help especially to the new ones.. Way to go.. Cheers..

08-24-11 05:08 PM
    .353 is just about here
    08-24-11 05:42 PM
    You can check which version of software/firmware you have on your phone by following these steps:
    - on your home screen, click the options icon (wrench)
    - scroll down and select "Device"
    - scroll down and select "About Device Versions"
    - third line down you will see the software version in brackets (v7.0.0.xxx, Platform 5.0.0.xxx)

Alternatively, you can see what firmware version is on your phone when you plug your phone into your computer while running the Blackberry Desktop Manager (free download)...
    Or you can just press the alt+shift+h keys.
    08-24-11 06:50 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD