04-20-13 10:34 AM
70 123
tools
    OMG this 9900 is pissing me off. I just bought it 2 months ago and now it seems bricked.

2 nights ago I left my 9900 on the table. Next morning battery was drained, so I plugged it in. But the phone never turned back on...

The screen stays blank no matter how many battery pulls, etc. And the red LED just blinks very slowly (30 second interval blinks)

I tried using apploader.exe and apploader.exe /nojvm to restore the OS. It connects initially, but then fails at the "Waiting for Device Initializtion" / "Reconnecting to JVM" part.

Then I tried JL_CMDR to wipe the device, but it won't connect. The computer just keeps making the USB connecting / disconnecting noise.

WTF do I do now??
    10-17-11 07:51 PM
    Hey, I feel for you - but you are just the next member in a not so exclusive club right now!

There are quite a few threads on this issue, as there are quite a few of us out there with this exact same issue.

Most users are sending their phones back for repair / replace ... but some of us bought from overseas and do not have that option.

All you can do is to keep checking the forum to see if someone magics an answer, but I think all we can hope for right now is for RIM to acknowledge that there is this issue and let us know if we can apply the fix to it ourselves.

Fingers crossed we get some news soon!
    10-17-11 07:56 PM
    Wow - yet one more bricked 9990 to add to the pile ...lovely. RIM's best phone yet?
    10-17-11 08:13 PM
    I guess this explains why ATT is reluctant to launch 9900.. THey are the nations biggest carrier and their RMA department will be flooded with this crappy defective phone

mssca and calicocat2010 like this.
    10-17-11 08:31 PM
    Can you try a different battery? What is the date/lot code and origin of cells/finishing on your battery?

Li-On batteries have a minimum charge threshold. If the battery falls below that threshold (as measured by an IC inside the battery) it will NOT charge. It basically tells the device the battery is dead.

The 99xx will not boot without a battery.

If you don't have a spare, visit a shop that is willing to allow you to try a battery from a demo or defective.

Also, what version of OS7 was on your device. I noticed on my phone running .440 that at 7% charge the phone turns off the radios and at about 5% turns off the phone reporting "battery too low for use".
    Last edited by claykin; 10-17-11 at 08:40 PM.
    10-17-11 08:37 PM
    which factory was ur bold from? im curious to see if its a certain manufacturer and factory? maybe carrier too
    10-17-11 08:59 PM
    - Phone is Made in MEXICO 4
    - I had the OS7 that shipped with Rogers launch: 9900jAllLang_PBr7.0.0_rel1346_PL5.0.0.464_A7.0.0.2 61_Rogers_Wireless_Inc
    - Battery lot code is:
    DC110701
    JSM6B 03495
    10-17-11 09:07 PM
    Mine is "Made In Hungary 3"

Battery is
    DC110625
    JSBCA01821
    10-17-11 10:26 PM
    I tried a charged battery from a friends 9900... did not work. still blank screen + slow red blinking.

Judging by the numerous other posters complaining about bricked 9900s... it looks like this is a serious problem and a recall should be in order.

How do I RMA my phone? I bought it off eBay from a Rogers customer since I use ATT and it hasnt released yet in USA.
    10-18-11 04:36 PM
    I called Blackberry support, and they basically said I'm screwed b/c I bought my 9900 off eBay and warranty is non-transferrable...

Definitely a far departure from Apple's flawless Genius Bar service. RIM IS GOING DOWN!!!!!!!!
    10-18-11 06:07 PM
    mexico 4 here
    and battery is DC110815
    LOP1A05957
    10-18-11 08:35 PM
    - I had the OS7 that shipped with Rogers launch: 9900jAllLang_PBr7.0.0_rel1346_PL5.0.0.464_A7.0.0.2 61_Rogers_Wireless_Inc
    - Battery lot code is:
    DC110701
    JSM6B 03495
    A lot of Mexico units are defective... At least the phones sold in Canada.
    10-19-11 12:24 AM
    I wonder what the difference is between 9900 and 9930 besides the obvious.... I don't see people posting about this issue with the 9930. My 9930 was made in Mexico 5 and I've had zero issues with it.
    10-19-11 01:06 AM
    Funny.. i had the same problem today.... mine went completely dead.. i put in on the charger and it was fine i sent a couple of text messages, then when i came back to it about 2 hrs later.... i noticed an hour glass on a blank screen, so i did a battery pull and it kept freezing on the e on the blackberry load screen. So i removed the sim card and tried again... It worked, but then it advised that i had to do i device wipe, i think this was caused due to an app... the last one i installed was accuweather....
    10-19-11 03:37 AM
    Second 9900 that has bricked. The first was the blank screen with the red blinking light...and the second was the JVM 517 code. T-Mobile is sending out a new one. Both were made in Mexico. Bad job RIM. Not good at all. If this happens again I will dump the 9900 and go with a 9810. Would love the iPhone or Android, but can't type on glass or a landscape keyboard.

The 9900 was my perfect phone...shame on RIM for dropping the ball.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    10-19-11 02:45 PM
    You guys are no the only one. I have a Bold 9930, and I have been having similar issues. I'm a sprint customer by the way. Anyway, I notice my bold sometimes goes on some sort of stand-by. I'm not sure if it is or not, but when I press the lock button on the top to use my phone everything lights up, except for the screen which stays black. It's happen to me 3 times. The first time I got it, I left it charging and in the morning when I went to check my phone the screen did not turn on at all but the keyboard and keys lighted up, I tried everything, and so my last option was removing the battery and it worked. The second time, I was using the phone and the screen just went off on me while looking at a text. Had to remove the stupid battery again. The third time which was today, I thought that was it for me. 429 bucks on ebay gone just like that. The phone screen went off on me, when I tried turning it on it lagged, with the key lights. I tried hitting every button and nothing, I removed the battery at least 10 times and not even while the phone turned on nothing came up on the screen. The screen was completely out, I then started cursing, and yelling, because I knew I bought the phone on ebay, and I was not getting that money back. I started to let the phone drop on the table purposely hard, while cursing. I then proceeded to pick up the phone and started rubbing on the screen and bang, it came back on. I'm getting really scared this phone is beginning to make me think it will not last long with the way it's acting. I don't know if its a internal problem or some sort of lag or stand-by mode which they did not mention.
    Last edited by hazeces; 10-20-11 at 01:29 AM.
    10-20-11 01:24 AM
    Accuweather isn't made for the Bold 9900/9930... Which is why the App Store doesn't have it available. Maybe you should heed that warning?
    10-20-11 02:13 AM
    i have the similar problem if u find a solution for this problem please pm me asap i would do the same....this is the 3rd person that post the same problem this week on the page...i think this is a common problem on these blackberries 9900....believe me im going thru the same situation
    10-20-11 09:12 AM
    - Battery lot code is:
    DC110701
    JSM6B 03495
    same thing as me i got a rogers edition and the problem is similar
    10-20-11 09:13 AM
    You guys are no the only one. I have a Bold 9930, and I have been having similar issues. I'm a sprint customer by the way. Anyway, I notice my bold sometimes goes on some sort of stand-by. I'm not sure if it is or not, but when I press the lock button on the top to use my phone everything lights up, except for the screen which stays black. It's happen to me 3 times. The first time I got it, I left it charging and in the morning when I went to check my phone the screen did not turn on at all but the keyboard and keys lighted up, I tried everything, and so my last option was removing the battery and it worked. The second time, I was using the phone and the screen just went off on me while looking at a text. Had to remove the stupid battery again. The third time which was today, I thought that was it for me. 429 bucks on ebay gone just like that. The phone screen went off on me, when I tried turning it on it lagged, with the key lights. I tried hitting every button and nothing, I removed the battery at least 10 times and not even while the phone turned on nothing came up on the screen. The screen was completely out, I then started cursing, and yelling, because I knew I bought the phone on ebay, and I was not getting that money back. I started to let the phone drop on the table purposely hard, while cursing. I then proceeded to pick up the phone and started rubbing on the screen and bang, it came back on. I'm getting really scared this phone is beginning to make me think it will not last long with the way it's acting. I don't know if its a internal problem or some sort of lag or stand-by mode which they did not mention.

Shouldn't matter that you bought the phone on eBay. If it's a Sprint device and you have a Sprint account they should honour the warranty and exchange it for you. Just call them up.
    10-20-11 10:02 AM
    Lot of us on the same boat.. I looked everywhere but i can't really find a solution. I guess its time to say R.I.P

I live overseas now so i need to send it home back for warranty repairs.. So for now what should i do ? Ditch my friends and family and buy a iphone or buy the same phone or new torch?
    10-30-11 12:45 PM
    My phone is exactly 1month old. Just one day over the warranty, and I doubt they will take it back. This is really disappointing. I agree with an earlier poster. RIM should suck it up and do a recall on these devices.

There should hardly be any problems on a flagship device.
    10-30-11 07:20 PM
    I have the Verizon 9930 and I am currently experiencing this issue. I installed OS 7.0.0.374 last Tuesday 10/25 and the device has been running fine, including on a 4+ hour drive on Friday where I played podcasts and Pandora. Friday night I opened Foursquare and ScoreMobile but forgot to close those programs before I went to sleep, which I usually always exit those apps when I'm finished. I forgot my charger and woke up Saturday to a dead phone. I borrowed a friend's charger for her older Bold and got it up to a charge of 1 bar when I took the device off the charger to use - apps, bmm, voicemail - no problems. I returned it to the charger and checked on it later to see it was about 90% charged. That was the last time my Blackberry worked. I went back to check on it an hour or so later - the phone was off and it was displaying a red LED that stays on for 10 seconds then off for 10 seconds. I kept charging it but it would not turn on. I tried a different charger but still no luck. After leaving it off the charger it just goes completely dead with no LED. When I returned home I found forum posts here and out on the interweb saying to pull the battery, plug in a charger, then replace the battery but that didn't work. I did notice the battery with yellow lightning bolt appear in the middle of the screen after I replaced the battery while plugged into my MacBook, but then it returned to the LED on/off state. Every time the red LED turns on my Desktop Manager says it cannot connect to the device, then once the LED turns off it says it's connecting. This makes me think it's a software issue and the device keeps rebooting. I plan to leave it charging overnight but if it doesn't come back to life I'll be at Verizon tomorrow asking for a replacement. Other than not being able to log in with my Blackberry ID until I tricked it to let me reenter the ID and password, I've had no problems with this device until now. It too was made in Mexico, battery lot code DC110617 JSM9A 04632. If anyone figures anything out, please post!
    10-30-11 09:51 PM
    same thing happened to me, happened to a few other colleagues also.
    10-31-11 07:36 AM
    i was told it could be an APP issue messing with the OS, so your best bet is to re-install OS7 and avoid the last app you installed.
    10-31-11 09:01 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD