Thank you for posting this. Where did you learn that this is the problem?
    I'm not challenging you, just would like to know where you got your information.
    11-06-11 11:15 AM
    The common feature in all cases seems to be that the battery level has fallen to critical or near-critical level before the device is plugged in to charge. It seems that the battery protection software that switches off the handset when the battery level gets critically low then gets locked so that every time the device attempts to reboot itself the software kicks in and closes the device down again, even though the battery is now fully charged again. Because the device never actually boots up you can't get at the JVM to wipe the device (which would allow you to reload the OS from scratch and put the problem right). The only certain way to avoid the problem is not to let the battery level drop to the critical level in the first place. Meanwhile RIM need to put out a software fix that either debugs the battery protection software or disables it completely.
    Interesting... I've always thought the battery portion of the software was a little off, but this is new. If what you're saying is true, wouldn't it affect everyone who's run their battery too low? I'm on my third device, first two having issues with keypad and trackpad respectively, and with the with first I've run the battery to the point when it turned off and wouldn't turn back on until I plugged it into the charger as a dumb test. That didn't brick the phone...
    11-06-11 11:32 AM
    It's clearly not a universal problem, or as you say anyone who ran their battery down to critical levels would brick their phone, and that can't be the case, or there would be far more instances of the problem. What does seem to be the situation is that everyone who does have the bricking problem with the 10 second red light on, 10 second red light off, repeated 6 or 7 times, then complete death, had let their battery run down to yellow or red warning status before plugging it in to charge. I haven't yet seen a report of someone with that particular collection of symptoms who hadn't run their battery right down just beforehand.

If you see a phone that has bricked in this way (as my daughter's did) and you connect it up to BBDM, BBSAK or other similar programs you can see that the device is rebooting but is forcibly shutting itself down before the JVM is enabled, which is why you can't break the cycle by deleting the OS from the phone and re-installing it.

What is clear is that RIM need to get a software fix out there quickly to stem the flow of phones being returned for replacement. Entirey characteristically, RIM hs yet to make any kind of comment about this, in spite of the fact that a lot of phones are being returned with this problem.
    11-06-11 06:00 PM
    I just had this issue AGAIN this morning. I've already returned one phone because of this. I use my phone as an alarm clock and almost missed my flight this morning because the phone was dead when I woke up. The phone battery did run all the way down last night and I put it in the charging dock before I went to bed. It turned on after I put it on the charging dock but sometime during the night it completely turned off and won't turn back on. The red LED just turns on for 10 seconds then off for 10 seconds like others have stated. With so many others having problems like this you would think RIM would put out an update.
    11-08-11 09:26 AM
    I have had my 9930 brick twice, and my gf's once. Since removing Google Maps from both devices, no issues. Dunno if its the culprate, but it seems to be an app causing it.
    12-06-11 01:34 PM
    Woke up this morning to a slow red light nuke. Last night I let the phone go down to 8% and then I turned it off to save battery. Turned back on OK, so i put it on the charging pod overnight. But this morning I woke up and the phone was dead. Did a couple battery pulls to no avail.

Tried connecting it to DM or AppLoader, neither would get past the JVM connecting part of the setup. BBSAK would not connect, and neither would JL_CMDER.

I took the battery out, plugged the phone into the USB. Went to Loader.exe, started loading the software again. This time with the battery out, the phone stopped the red light blinking process and would show the battery with the cross on the screen. The process kept going until it got to the JVM Reconnecting part, and then I put in the battery again. This actually booted up the phone and I was able to complete the OS install.

Key thing here, start the Loader process WITHOUT THE BATTERY IN THE PHONE, wait until it says Reconnecting to JVM, and then put the battery back into the phone. It will trick the phone and boot up and complete the install.
    12-10-11 06:50 AM
    As strange as it may seem, more often than not, the battery is the cause of these types of failures. Many of the batteries shipped with the 99xx are of poor quality. My recommendation is to purchase an aftermarket BlackBerry battery (OEM) and destroy the battery that came with the device. All batteries processed in Mexico should be discarded. The only batteries I use, that I recommend using are those "further processed in China". Most batteries included with your original 99xx purchase are processed in Mexico. Destroy these batteries for the sake of your 99xx. Buying Chinese processed batteries is the best 40 USD you can do for the stability and longevity of your 99xx.
    This is interesting. Do you have anything to back up your theory?
    On what basis are the Mexico batteries a lower quality than the processed in China?

So far my phone has been well behaved. Although it did randomly re boot during a call which caused me some concern.
    The other morning my battery was down to a critical level. Forgot to charge overnight. It charged without issue. Working fine since.
    Soft reboots have caused no issues so far.

Interestingly drummerboy mentions Google maps. I do not have this installed although I can't see this being the cause of the issue and doubt it is software related. Although I am interested to know if a lot of people with bricked / nuked installed apps not designed to work with the 9900.

I would swing more towards Hatax theory that there is a hardware isssue. if it were a bad batch (build) then they would all be Mexico 4 / Hungary etc.

I did read an article that the device release was delayed because of a hardware fault and high number of returned test phone. Could this have been the issue with these?

From reading through the variables it seems there is not one set of circumstances the same.

The most common is that the phone is on charge overnight. Could the phone be overcharging? A spike in voltage causing hardware corruption?

whilst I have nothing technical to add I will be following this and other thread closely. I love this phone but at the minute I am concerned to use it as an alarm.
    12-10-11 07:42 AM
    Same thing happen to myself and 4 of my colleagues, according to my IT person the only thing in common was we all were using non OEM bold 9930 chargers. Seems like a stretch to me ..... but, at least another data point.
    12-10-11 09:31 PM
    1. Last known function to use on BBerry, "Turn Off; (wake up with Alarm)"

2. Plugged in to charge overnight, never turned back on in the morning (black screen, slow red blinking LED)

3. Tried: DM, JAVA app Loader (message: Stuck at reconnecting to JVM, error!)

3a. Tried: CMD reset to factory defaults no response!

4. BBSAK will not connect !

CrackBerry let's put our heads together and beat RIM to this, one month later and still no fix!!! UNACCEPTABLE! plz make a Battery to revive the phone! Anyone have this fixed YET!!!!!!!??? Thanks
    12-24-11 03:01 AM
    It happened me twice. Once with .540 and today with .590. After installing a new OS I like to drain my battery, in the event of recalibrate it. When it reach 0% the device turns off. I place it on the charging pod overnight, and I woke up with a slow red blinking light instead of a fix green.
    I thought it was nuked or bricked, but after a battery pull, the phone started just normally. Maybe the nuke/bricking problem was solved on .540 and .590 or am I just lucky?
    12-24-11 06:16 AM
    Add mine to the list!
    Got it replaced from Axiom my warranty but lost all important and personal data.
    RIM u gotta up with some offical answers! Uh!
    12-24-11 07:40 PM
    I have a 9930 (VZ) and it is a Mexico 5 phone. It died this morning. I was pretty upset but not shocked.

This will be the THIRD TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED. It's almost comedic at this point.

I have the same issues are everyone else, phone gets really low on battery and shuts off. I charge it and it appears to come back to life during charge. I can use it and everything. I go to sleep and in the morning, it's dead. Slow blinking red light and all.

Like I said, I'll be on my 4th phone in 3 months, which is almost ridiculous. If there was a decent alternative with a keyboard, I would have switched from Blackberry by now.

If anyone knows how to recover some of the info that was on the phone that I had not backed up yet, I'd appreciate the help.

EDIT:
    Here's my battery info:
    Further processed in Mexico
    DC110602
    JSM9B00769
    Last edited by shahe; 12-28-11 at 12:04 PM.
    12-28-11 12:01 PM
    Two people at work who still use BB's asked me about the new 99XX's.

After seeing so many threads/posts about them bricking, not sure I'd recommend them. Which is sad because in the last, depending on the person's needs, this would have been an easy phone to recommend.

War Is All We Know
    12-28-11 12:07 PM
    Two people at work who still use BB's asked me about the new 99XX's.

After seeing so many threads/posts about them bricking, not sure I'd recommend them. Which is sad because in the last, depending on the person's needs, this would have been an easy phone to recommend.

War Is All We Know
    You have to also realize that a good amount of posters that come on here are ones looking for answers because they're having some sort of issue. That and a good amount of those posters are also unaware of the difference between bricked and nuked.
    12-28-11 12:20 PM
    same exact thing happened to me. Mexico 5 is where this one is from.
    12-28-11 04:40 PM
    Overall the phone was beautiful and we have about 100 of them in use at work plus i have about a dozen friends that use the BB9900/9930. Mine is the only one that's had issues but I've had the phone brick out 3 times now.

It's either one of the apps I'm using or really, really bad luck.
    12-29-11 11:59 AM
    My has also bricked. I also think is related to a very drain battery that is re-charged overnight. I think the only app I had installed on my 9900 has google maps as the bb maps didn�t cut for me. I do remember that that day when I connected the phone to the wall charger I say the clock app come up then the next morning the red led blinking and black screen. I would recommend not draining the battery to much and even using day-time charging if you can, and of course daily backups.
    02-07-12 11:09 PM
    - Phone is Made in MEXICO 4
    - I had the OS7 that shipped with Rogers launch: 9900jAllLang_PBr7.0.0_rel1346_PL5.0.0.464_A7.0.0.2 61_Rogers_Wireless_Inc
    - Battery lot code is:
    DC110701
    JSM6B 03495
    I know you've had the phone for 2 months but I'd trot that thing right back to Rogers and ask them what the heck they can do about it !
    02-07-12 11:38 PM
    I've been having a problem where sometimes my screen would just stop working. Everything else works, I just won't be able to see texts, who called, obviously anything to do with the use of the screen. This problem occurs often and randomly and when it happens, it can last from a few min to days. After some times it starts working normally again but then after a couple hours the screen stops working yet again.
    I've tried wiping out phone using JL-cmder and blackberry something knife thingy, and also I deleted my bb desktop manager and all the OS firmwares and re-installed them and put it in my phone.
    And yet, nothing seems to be working!!!
    Any feedback would help!

Thank you!!
    04-08-13 05:14 PM
    I've have my Blackberry 9900 for about 6 months now, and it's been uncooperative when it came to me using the phone's memory itself. I tried wiping it yesterday, and it's been on a blank screen ever since, and it's refusing to boot up. I don't know what to do with it D:
    04-20-13 09:34 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD