I switched from a 8gb micro sd to a 16gb last night, when i start up the phone it is very laggy, I noticed if i go into the music player it sists there and says "scanning" for about 10 minutes, after that the phone works fine...This happens every time i pull the battery though and is getting very annoying, any help would be appreciated.
    07-09-09 11:29 AM
    It's searching through the entire card, how much data do you have on it?
    07-09-09 11:30 AM
    about 4gb of data, that includes some music a couple of videos
    07-09-09 11:33 AM
    I switched from a 8gb micro sd to a 16gb last night, when i start up the phone it is very laggy, I noticed if i go into the music player it sists there and says "scanning" for about 10 minutes, after that the phone works fine...This happens every time i pull the battery though and is getting very annoying, any help would be appreciated.
    It's supposed to so it can be indexed for faster access. I would be looking into why you do so many battery pulls.
    07-09-09 11:34 AM
    What kind of card is it? I'm considering a 16GB Sandisk update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 11:34 AM
    Its a kingston 16gb card,
    07-09-09 11:36 AM
    I could be mistaken but Kingston has a much slower transfer rate than Sandisk. This could be your issue
    07-09-09 11:43 AM
    Read some posts saying bigger than 8gb sometimes overheats your device.
    Not sure if its true though
    07-09-09 11:54 AM
    i have a 16gb sandisk loaded to the max with music. No issues with overheating. Reloading after quickpull or battery pull does take 10-15 minutes. I'll live with it for the amount of music I can access. When the 32GB cards are available, I'll be right in line to buy one.
    07-09-09 01:07 PM
    i have a 16gb sandisk loaded to the max with music. No issues with overheating. Reloading after quickpull or battery pull does take 10-15 minutes. I'll live with it for the amount of music I can access. When the 32GB cards are available, I'll be right in line to buy one.
    10-15 minutes ? you mean to reload the card or the OS ?

Rebooting the OS takes a good few mins thats for sure . . . but I've used 16gb Sandisk cards and there's not that much lag on them.

Kingston are crappy *IMO* but whatever, when buying, look for the sustained read and write cards and the burst speeds that the card is capable of.

Having said that, I have no idea what the maximum throughput the Bold can handle is lol.
    07-09-09 02:18 PM
    This is fairly typical with large cards - as stated before they have to read and index all the data for later use.

If it's really a problem, like bt244 said, I'd check into why you're doing so many battery pulls. I haven't had to reboot in almost 2 months now so that annoying 10 minute indexing is a rare thought.

Anyways, regarding speeds, the Bold is pretty much always the bottleneck. The speed of the card is mostly determined by what "class" it is - most likely class 2 if you have a 16GB card (class 2, 4, 6 exist and higher number = faster). Regardless, this is only relevant for how fast your computer can read/write on the card because as stated, the Bold is the bottleneck when using it from your phone.

BTW this has been discussed in a couple other threads already - advanced search thread titles for "16GB" like this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/search....rchid=18437676
    Last edited by jeffreii; 07-09-09 at 02:46 PM.
    07-09-09 02:42 PM
    thanks all, yeah i pull the battery when i am messing with the phone (upgrading, adding programs,etc., i find its always good to do a pull after these types of actions). I am going to leave it alone now because i figured it was the 16gb being indexed, just didnt know if anyone knew of any real issues associated.
    07-09-09 04:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD