Hello to addicts of Blackberry's and all other substances. Good, or good.

I just received my Schwartz B-9900 from Vodafone here in the UK. I must say that although there seems to be a relatively large number of varying issues, some minor and others more serious, I am happy and relatively elated to get my hands on this so-called 'Masterpiece'.

I used to have a B-9000 which was basically the best phone I ever owned and is still one of the best in my eyes in terms of functionality, stability, design, etc. I have had it for just over 2 years until very recently when the phone had a rather heavy shunt with a wall, through no fault of my own of course, and is now damaged beyond repair. I have thus upgraded to a B-9900.

Now, to the point, for f*cks sake. The software details on the phone (from RIM or Vodafone, which one is it?) is v.7.0.0.296, Platform 5.0.0.496. I am guessing that the OS in this phone is an already updated version as from what I can see according to the forums, the most recent updates for BB OS7 include .261, .540, .585, and now 1.0.163.

The OS updates seem to have both corrected and worsened aspects of the phone/software according to different users? Aside from fixing certain critical issues such as battery life, reception, etc., some users have complained about incomplete updates, bugs, OS freezing, bricking, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, it seems that so far the most suitable OS update is .540 as the improvement:stability ratio according to you guys seems to be the highest. Version .261 seems to be more stable, but does not sort out issues as well as .540. Many have complained about there being a low improvement:stability ratio with .580 and 1.0.136 is still too new to know much about.

So, if one is to run into problems with the factory OS version (mine being .296), which version do you 'experienced' see to be the most suitable in terms of improvement and stability? Of course a backup will be utilized before any action of update is taken.

Note that I am a moderate user, I will NOT be using any social apps (I rarely use them in general) or in fact any apps for that matter, I will only be using this phone for calls, texts, messages, e-mails, pictures, video, and maps/gps. Music is a minimal maybe and if I find any very functional/useful/productive apps I will have a look see to the possibility, keeping my eye on batter rates and what not of course.

I humbly apologize for the length of this post.

Enjoy your addictions.
    Last edited by FS.9900; 12-21-11 at 03:07 PM. Reason: I modified two words in the first paragraph that were cause for sensitivity.
    12-19-11 01:44 PM
    First of all, congratulations on your upgrade.

As far as OS goes, I myself had troubles with JVM errors (still no clue what caused it). I have used OS's such as, 7.0.0.4xx, 7.0.0.503, 7.0.0.540 & 7.0.0.585. Which I find .503 the most stable when it comes to battery life, but I had my errors with it. I tried .540 but battery life for me was the worst + the errors again.

I am now using .585 and so far it's good, no errors yet. Regarding battery life, it's good and close enough to .503's battery life.

These results may only be applicable to my 9900. Other users may have their own results on each OS. So my tip for you would be to find out for yourself which OS suits you best.

Good luck. Also, update your OS to 7.0.0.5xx.
    Last edited by adicktuz; 12-19-11 at 02:08 PM.
    12-19-11 02:03 PM
    The software details on the phone (from RIM or Vodafone, which one is it?) is v.7.0.0.296, Platform 5.0.0.496. I am guessing that the OS in this phone is an already updated version as from what I can see according to the forums, the most recent updates for BB OS7 include .261, .540, .585, and now 1.0.163.
    All OS versions are from RIM. An official OS version is just one that your network provider has tested and approved.
    .296 that is on your phone is not an already updated OS, it's an ancient and buggy OS that all European 9900's shipped with.
    7.1.0.163 is for the 9930 and will not work on a 9900.

The OS updates seem to have both corrected and worsened aspects of the phone/software according to different users? Aside from fixing certain critical issues such as battery life, reception, etc., some users have complained about incomplete updates, bugs, OS freezing, bricking, etc.
    User Error...

Correct me if I am wrong, but, it seems that so far the most suitable OS update is .540 as the improvement:stability ratio according to you guys seems to be the highest. Version .261 seems to be more stable, but does not sort out issues as well as .540. Many have complained about there being a low improvement:stability ratio with .580 and 1.0.136 is still too new to know much about.
    .540 was only official for a short time before RIM pulled it, so forget about that one.
    .261 is even older than the OS you're currently using, so forget about that too.
    .580 doesn't exist, and 7.1.0.163 isn't for the 9900, so forget about them too.

So, if one is to run into problems with the factory OS version (mine being .296), which version do you 'experienced' see to be the most suitable in terms of improvement and stability? Of course a backup will be utilized before any action of update is taken.
    If you're with Vodafone UK and you wish to update your OS, then do so to .585 which is their latest official version.
    adicktuz likes this.
    12-19-11 02:22 PM
    Is it really safe to upgrade...
    Does it eliminates/ minimise bricking issue..
    Is it better on battery as compared to .540
    12-19-11 02:34 PM
    Is it really safe to upgrade...
    Does it eliminates/ minimise bricking issue..
    Is it better on battery as compared to .540
    I've lost count of the number of times I've upgraded/downgraded my 9900 OS, all without issue.

IMO the so called 'bricking issue' is hardware related... if your device is going to brick, it will do. Nothing you can do to prevent this.

.540 was pulled for a reason. Whatever that reason was, I'm steering clear. Battery life is subjective, and has been pretty much the same for me on every build.
    12-19-11 02:42 PM
    503 has been a gem for me. Absolutely no issues. And the batt times rival my 9700/9780 and to those who know BBs-- that's really saying a lot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-11 02:44 PM
    I've lost count of the number of times I've upgraded/downgraded my 9900 OS, all without issue.

IMO the so called 'bricking issue' is hardware related... if your device is going to brick, it will do. Nothing you can do to prevent this.

.540 was pulled for a reason. Whatever that reason was, I'm steering clear. Battery life is subjective, and has been pretty much the same for me on every build.
    I will upgrade to 580 soon
    Thanks Phil.
    12-19-11 02:51 PM
    Oh that is why .540 battery was the worst, didn't know RIM pulled that OS out.

.503 is the best for me, and .585 maybe.
    12-19-11 02:51 PM
    I don't know why so many people speak about .5XX or .5XX but I can only conclude its because they have not tried all the operating systems available for the 9900. Only one stands above the others, and by a healthy margin at that, 7.1.0.74

New Link:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...ot-673031-new/

Wipe your phone with BBSAK first and install this on a clean slate and then let AppWorld update anything that isn't current and You will have a super nice OS you can enjoy for along time. With 7.1 its advisable to Format or Repair your memory cards, built-in and add-in. Don't forget to run through the "Setup Program" and adjust everything to your liking.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 12-19-11 at 06:54 PM.
    12-19-11 03:17 PM
    I don't know why so many people speak about .5XX or .5XX but I can only conclude its because they have not tried all the operating systems available for the 9900. Only one stands above the others, and by a healthy margin at that, 7.1.0.74

http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...er-676884-new/
    well firstly its gonna be cos .5xx ones tend to be offical, and some people do so love their warranties

also 7.1.0.74 is oooooooooold, RIM were testing .3xx builds when 7.1.0.74 leaked lol.

as for me, i did .540 when it was offical, and yes for vfuk .585 is the latest offical, i just cant bring myself to upgrade, cos if it ent broke..... lol
    12-19-11 03:28 PM

http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...er-676884-new/
    ...and you might want to change that link, which is for the 9810
    12-19-11 03:32 PM
    well firstly its gonna be cos .5xx ones tend to be offical, and some people do so love their warranties

also 7.1.0.74 is oooooooooold, RIM were testing .3xx builds when 7.1.0.74 leaked lol.

as for me, i did .540 when it was offical, and yes for vfuk .585 is the latest offical, i just cant bring myself to upgrade, cos if it ent broke..... lol
    I've heard it all before, and tried them all. Hypotheses and Experience are two different things.

His warranty has already been voided by your logic.

My only purpose here in this thread was to give the Original Poster the answer he was looking for. "What 9900 operating system is best?" and answer that question is what I have done.

Argue the merits of lesser operating systems till your blue in the face, just don't do it with me.

That is a discussion I will not be participating in and it is also what got him to post this thread in the first place.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 12-19-11 at 03:42 PM.
    12-19-11 03:34 PM
    His warranty has already been voided by your logic.
    haha, not at all, vodafone have confirmed they will honour the .540 warranty as it was released by them, so no warranty worries here

that said my platinum rim plating may have slightly killed my warranty haha, oh well, looks better lol
    12-19-11 03:56 PM
    Thank you Adictuz for your warm welcome and advice.

Phil_UK, I appreciate your thorough advice mate, I will look into .585.

Thank you also to all others who gave their experience and advices.

Now, there are two aspects to this post;

1) It seems many of you are performing a series of specific steps that form what is considered as a 'manual' update of your device OS to versions that are released by wireless providers etc. with the utilization of the Blackberry Desktop Manager (BbDM) to complete the process. Some of you even customizing your updates by modifying/combining files. Yet, it seems there is not much mention of 'direct/automatic' updating via BbDM. Is there a reason for this? Is there a reason as to why BbDM does not have all of the suitable OS version updates already available and ready to update with (or a selection of all the currently/recently available updates) with no need of downloading from a third party website? How is it really considered 'official' in this case?

2) According to my BbDM, connected as I type, it is offering the following information:

"Software version: 7.0 Bundle 1465"
    "Update available: 7.0.0.2406"

Is the line 'Software version: 7.0 Bundle 1465' signifying a current OS v.7.0.0.1465 on my device? This assumption would make logical sense as the BbDM is giving a sequence of relative information, including the fact that the 'available update' v.2406 is numerically in sequence to the 'software version'. Maybe I am wrong, yet, how is it that BbDM is offering an update for my device to v.2406 when my current OS according to the device itself is v.296.

Can you guys please clarify this sh*t as I am slightly at a loss on these aspects of 'updating the OS' and am still trying to come to grips with the way all of this works as I have never really dealt much with computer and electronic device updates and modification, and in this case specifically, updating the OS on a Blackberry.

Again, I appreciate your help and advice as I know all of the 'experienced' have answered such questions on multiple occasions and doing a 'lazy' search in the forums has not helped much.

Thank you.
    12-20-11 10:40 AM
    ok, so with the OS updates, you have three main types.

1) Offical
    2) Leak
    3) Hybrid

the hybrids are the combined OS`s of a few different sources, basically the `best of the best bits` cherry picked to make a nice OS, the leaks are builds that are submitted to carrier testing before they are (or arent) made offical, and offical ones are approved by your/a carrier.

now offical OS`s can be installed by downlooading it all through the desktop manager, leaks and hybrids arent offical, so you need to work around the checks.
    as for downloading first or downloading with BBDM, i always download first, i tend to find its normally faster to download it from the BB site then install rather than let BBDM download it. dunno why, jus seems faster to me, however there is no `right or wrong` way, so either is cool to do.

as for the software numbers, you have a bundle number, and an `applications` number. the .296/.585 is the applications version, which is most commonly talked about. they of course have different bundle numbers, you can use either one, jus makin sure not to get confused between the two.

where it says `software version 1465` thats the bundle number thats currently on your phone (app version .296) and software version 2406 is app version .585, so yes what your seeing is the .585 update available for you.
    12-20-11 11:51 AM
    This forum is great. One of the reasons I stick with BB. But I'm confused by the updating issue. For one thing why doesn't BB itself (or my carrier) notify me when an update is available? When Apply has an update, they announce it, it's a bog to-do, and everybody rushes to get it. When BB has one it's like a secret?

I'm on 7.0.0.250 bundle 1315 from the factory. When I click on Software Updates on my device it says "Your Blackberry Is up To Date"?
    12-20-11 12:11 PM
    Thank you for that clarification mate (BBThemes). It was well needed.

So, RIM and the BbDM label an OS Version in 'Bundle code format' that signifies a specific 'alternate code format' by which we are identifying the updates... Interesting.

I can see how one would know what version a specific bundle signifies if you have the relevant two written on your device and BbDM, respectively, however, how is it that you know what a 'new' and non-updated OS version in 'bundle code' signifies in the 'alternate coding format' prior to its installation and identification on the device? Is there a place that lists such information such as on Blackberry.com or am I simply lacking the experience and understanding of you lot?

Now, in this case, given that Bundle .2406 is v.585, I assume that it is ready for automatic update from BbDM which is good.

However, if I were to choose going down the more time efficient route for whatever reason to install v.585 or any future update, where (to which destination on BbDM) do I 'install' the downloaded update file once I run it? Mind you that I am a MacBook Pro user.

I imagine that this will be possible on the Mac OS as with 'Official' updates things seem straightforward given that your explanation was rather simple for the process involved...

This does however lead me to a question regarding update processes listed on the forums as complicated as the following:

[posted by Elite1]
    (Optional) Uninstall any previous OS from your PC.
    Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer to do so, not Firefox or Chrome. (For leaked versions, the browser is irrelevant though.)
    *If 100% certain you've previously used FF or Chrome on same PC to DL an OS successfully, feel free to use FF or Chrome again.
    Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to media card from menu within each of these apps. (Examples: all Bellshare apps such as BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps such as Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; Show Me The Images; etc).
    Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    (Optional) Use desktop program like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    On PC, navigate to
    �64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    �32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    (Optional/Recommended) Run BB Boss v2.2 or Shrink-A-OS/BBH+ Tool.
    In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click on Loader to initiate OS upgrade. Follow onscreen instructions.
    After OS install is complete, perform several physical battery pulls over first 1-2 days for OS to "settle in." Perform first batt pull very soon after OS is installed.

... I am assuming that these processes are reserved for updates that are either Hybrid or Leaked. In this case, are such process executable on a Mac OS or is a PC the only way to do this?

Again, I sincerely thank you guys for your time in reading these posts and answering my questions. Once I have a complete understanding of these details which I, and I am sure you, hope to be rather soon, I will drop the subject, but until then, my questions will have to continue.

Cheers.
    12-20-11 01:31 PM
    I like to shrink the OS before installing it. That way clutter is eliminated quickly and your phone will never have a bevy of free apps that may or may not cause problems installed. "never installed > uninstalled",,

BBH-Tools & BBSAK are all you need. BBH-Tools even has a shortcut for BBSAK.

All you need to do is to install the OS of your choice onto your PC,,

Delete the vendor.xml file(s). You will find two of them if BBDM has been freshly installed. Make sure both are gone,,

C:\Program Files(x86\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader - vendor.xml

C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader - vendor.xml

Now you can fire up BBH-Tools and run through all the crud you want removed from your OS. I recommend checking off everything you don't want, including things the OS might not include. When you are certain you have everything to your satisfaction "SHRINK IT NOW",,

Now that the installed OS on your computer has been size reduced you can run BBSAK and wipe your device,,

Now you can start the loader and it will give you a few options to install or not install certain features, after that the OS will be installed,,

BBSAK and Loader are accessible through BBH-Tools.

www.bbh-plus.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1516

www.bbsak.org

Last edited by olblueyez; 12-20-11 at 08:03 PM.
    12-20-11 07:40 PM
    I like to shrink the OS before installing it. That way clutter is eliminated quickly and your phone will never have a bevy of free apps that may or may not cause problems installed. Never installed > uninstalled.

BBH-Tools & BBSAK are all you need. BBH-Tools even has a shortcut for BBSAK.

All you need to do is to install the OS of your choice onto your PC,,

Delete the vendor.xml file. You will find two of them if BBDM has been freshly installed. The locations are in the post above mine,,

Now you can fire up BBH-Tools and run through all the crud you want removed from your OS. I recommend checking off everything you don't want, including things the OS might not include. When you are certain you have everything to your satisfaction "SHRINK IT NOW",,

Now that the installed OS on your computer has been size reduced you can run BBSAK and wipe your device,,

Now you can start the loader and it will give you a few options to install or not install certain features, after that the OS will be installed,,

BBSAK and Loader are accessible through BBH-Tools.

BBHTool (Public Version) - Downloads - BBH-Plus Forums
    Why are you running BBHybrids Tool and BBSAK?

BBHybrids Tool is all you need... it automatically deletes all the vendor files when you shrink an OS, and it can wipe your device.
    12-20-11 07:55 PM
    If you don't install BBSAK and you click the BBSAK button in BBH-Tools, it will tell your to install BBSAK.

Do you have anything creative to add or just trying to throw an anchor at me when I'm trying to help someone?

Anyway, BBH-Tools and the location of both vendor.xml files are what most people are missing. There are thousands of posts by people unable to update their software becacuse they can't find the second file.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 12-20-11 at 08:18 PM.
    12-20-11 08:07 PM
    If you don't install BBSAK and you click the BBSAK button in BBH-Tools, it will tell your to install BBSAK.

Do you have anything creative to add or just trying to throw an anchor at me when I'm trying to help someone?
    I was actually trying to help you, you arrogant fool.

You're suggesting using 2 apps when 1 of them does everything you mentioned above.

You don't need BBSAK... got it?
    12-20-11 08:21 PM
    I was actually trying to help you, you arrogant fool.

You're suggesting using 2 apps when 1 of them does everything you mentioned above.

You don't need BBSAK... got it?
    So what you meant to say was "I believe BBH-Tools can wipe your phone without BBSAK"?

That's cool, but I haven't been having the "Plethora-O-Problems" that so many others seem to be having so I was explaining to him step by step what I have been doing.

12-20-11 09:17 PM
    From what the both of you are saying, or not saying, it seems that PC is the only utilizable operating system for the installation of Leaked and Hybrid updates, correct me if I am wrong.

... BBH-Tools it is then.
    12-21-11 07:47 AM
    Two things,

1) I just came across the Blackberry 101 Lecture Series which clearly describes everything that is of relevance to OS upgrades.

I did not know such information existed so below are the relevant links for those, like me, who are in need of such 'clarity for amateurs'.

The links are found on the 101 Series main page or found at the bottom of the 'Blackberry OS Superpage':

#The BlackBerry OS | CrackBerry.com

How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

How To Downgrade Your BlackBerry's Operating System | CrackBerry.com

How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked or Bricked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

2) What happened to v.585 on the Superpage list of 'Official' updates? I know v.590 is the latest official update ... yet if I wanted to download v.585, where can I find it?

Last edited by FS.9900; 12-21-11 at 02:10 PM.
    12-21-11 01:51 PM
    2) ...yet if I wanted to download v.585, where can I find it?
    You can download it from here
    12-21-11 02:06 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD