Some of you folks treat owning a smart phone as a competitive event. Isn't it well enough that you can browse when you want to, get the info you're looking for? Do you really have to be sure that everyone using a different phone is 5 seconds behind you? Nobody is going to use all the apps available to a specific phone, any phone, so why is important to point to some roster of apps you're not interested in? In the end the best phone is the one you use best. All the other stuff is posing, status seeking, pretense. I've mentioned this in a number of other posts, my son works for Google, he is given Android phones from time to time, which he uses. His wife is happy with her Blackberry 9650, she could have any Android phone that he passes down. She is happy. With her Blackberry.
    Now is it really important to tell her all the doom and gloom surrounding RIM. Maybe, probably not. Get the phone you like, be happy with your phone and whatever station in life it takes you to.
    Your son's CEO also uses a blackberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-11 09:15 AM
    The OP has a valid point. The 9900 is a very nice phone, but doesn't seem to do much more than my 9700. There are improvements, but I can't think of anything the 9900 does that my 9700 couldn't... I was just thinking that I was just as productive on my old 8310( I loved that phone) as the 9700.
    What is the iphone4s improvement? Siri? What canyou do with 4s you can do with 4? Siri?
    11-23-11 09:31 AM
    What is the iphone4s improvement? Siri? What canyou do with 4s you can do with 4? Siri?
    I would say Siri except it isn't working, wait, yes it is, no, now it isn't, yes it is, no...
    11-23-11 09:44 AM
    I would say Siri except it isn't working, wait, yes it is, no, now it isn't, yes it is, no...
    +1.. exactly right, and if it works it works only for people with dialect exactly like Jobs had otherwise it never understands you
    11-23-11 10:33 AM
    It's a phone! What kind of major changes does the OP want year to year? Every Android phone looks like a slab with 4 buttons on the bottom. All phone upgrades consist of spec and hardware upgrades. The keyboard of the 9900 makes it PERFECT for a lot of people. My 2 cents.
    11-23-11 10:43 AM
    Yet another....<YAWNNNNNN>
    Clinto likes this.
    11-23-11 11:04 AM
    I have never understood the argument about iOS devices being incremental. If they are ahead of the game (and yes, that is arguable), then it doesn't matter.

I know this will be lost on many, but work through this with me.

It is illogical to say a device that is considered better than the competition is not improving by leaps and bounds. Now, if you want to say that BlackBerry devices are just as productive as iOS devices, then go ahead, but if you are conceding that the iPhone is a device that can do more than a BlackBerry device, than sneering at Siri as an addition makes no sense. It's still ahead.

If I get knocked out in a title bout, and then go for a rematch, and get knocked out again a half-second earlier in the fight, it makes no sense for me to laugh at point at the victor and tell him his improvement as champ is only "incremental." He is still the champ...
    11-23-11 11:19 AM
    Okay, minus apps, what is there that the 9900 can't do and that any other phone in existance can do? They do pretty much the same thing at the same level, but you get premium communication functions with BB. And can yoy really say that the keyboard, browser and HD video recording aren't leaps and bounds ahead of the 9700?

No.

There are a few things that I need that it cannot do, but, I could be in the minority.
    11-23-11 11:23 AM
    .. but, I could be in the minority.
    probably, so stick with your 8320....kthanxbye
    11-23-11 01:09 PM
    I think op has a point...
    BB' are said to be best email devices...
    I had 8700G (first BB) and now 9780. Core features are same without any change, still no rich text email, same old apps with no upgrades to them except icons.
    RIM is loosing its legacy by mixing toy with BB.
    RIM should make BlackBerry' with legacy feature upgrade and
    Banana's for others (people needing 100 Ghz-64core CPU, 1tb RAM, 512 tb rom, etc)
    RIM must think of their customers buying a best communication utility.

11-23-11 01:32 PM
    I think op has a point...
    BB' are said to be best email devices...
    I had 8700G (first BB) and now 9780. Core features are same without any change, still no rich text email, same old apps with no upgrades to them except icons.
    RIM is loosing its legacy by mixing toy with BB.
    RIM should make BlackBerry' with legacy feature upgrade and
    Banana's for others (people needing 100 Ghz-64core CPU, 1tb RAM, 512 tb rom, etc)
    RIM must think of their customers buying a best communication utility.

Careful... talk like that gets Bosco's panties bound up... LOL. Don't "slander" RIM in any way.
    11-23-11 01:41 PM
    What it boils down to is personal preference. I started off in 2008/09 with a Curve 8330, followed by a Tour 9630, Bold 9650, Curve 3G, back to a 9650 and now onto my 9930. At one point, the majority of my friends carried a Blackberry, today... I have 1 (Down from 2 friends a week ago, the other friend just bought the new Droid RAZR). At one point, I had over 20 BBM contacts, today I am down to 1. Neither of us use it, and the only reason I have it on my phone is so I can run the eBay app. That was someone's bright idea at RIM.. ensure people have BBM in order to run other apps. Again I find myself asking, what is the point in having BBM if you have no BBM friends? I should not be forced to have a useless app.

The majority of my friends are now Android users, with maybe 5% using iOS. I'm consistantly being joked with by my "techy" friends for using a Blackberry. I was called "********" for paying Sprint $499 full price when the 9930 came out in August. The other OS devices are light years more advanced that the Blackberry. The availability of apps on Android and iOS are astounding compared to App World. What in the **** is RIM's problem? People have been complaining about this issue for a couple of years, yet nothing has been done or is being done. It's amazing, it really is. I stare at RIM in complete disbelief.

The purpose of being in business is to make money and new customers. I don't see RIM making new customers in the U.S., rather they are losing customers. Whether I'm at the office, out shopping or eating at a restaurant, the majority of people carry their cell phones in their hands.. I sure don't see as many Blackberry devices as I used to.

Now onto my final point... When my friends ask me why I still use a Blackberry, my answer is very simple. I prefer the physical keyboard over touch screen. I have switched to Android twice (HTC EVO and HTC EVO Shift) and returned both under Sprint's 30 Day Worry Free Policy, and went back to Blackberry. Most of my friends enjoy useless apps, countless time consuming games, watching videos, etc.. on their devices. I too would probably enjoy those benefits, however I use my device more for texting, e-mail, facebook and Twitter. The 9930 suits my purpose just fine. If I need the browser, it's there, Great! Grand! Wonderful! If I'm going to spend countless hours online, I'll get on a laptop, not a small dinky cell phone. I use my browser to check a few websites, Google something on the go, or check my bank account. Thats good enough for me.

So while I do prefer my 9930 and Blackberry over other OS devices, I have been considering making a permanent switch very soon. The lack of apps thing we're talking about... I joined Google+ when it was in BETA ,and would really like to have a Google+ app to place right next to my Facebook and Twitter apps. Unfortunately it appears that Google no longer gets along well with RIM. I don't ask for much from my device, but myself and many others have been requesting a Google+ app for quite some time, ever since it was in BETA. RIM has not delivered, nor have they given any type of announcement that I'm aware of regarding whether or not one of these apps will be available. Because of this, I may not be on the list to purchase a new QNX device when they are released next year. Therefore, RIM loses yet another United States customer. Losing customers = No money.

One final suggestion I have for RIM is having more transparency available to their customers. Instead of leaking crappy photo's here & there of what could be a new device, share the new information with your customers and make it more widely available. Get the people excited! I can't tell you how irritating it is not knowing whats coming down the pike next, only to be let down yet again. The sales and marketing in this country is absolutely terrible. I see more ad's on television for Big Al's Podunk Buy Here Pay Here Auto Lot than I do for RIM/Blackberry. Market your product! I also believe RIM should monitor this website more frequently, or at least have reps who can chime in and answer their customers concerns and questions. I have e-mailed RIM before and have received little or no response.

I might not be a BIG guy or one of the best customers in RIM's eyes, but I'm still a paying customer and a user of their services. If I ask a question, I want a response. It's as simple as that.
    11-23-11 02:03 PM
    The OP has a valid point. The 9900 is a very nice phone, but doesn't seem to do much more than my 9700. There are improvements, but I can't think of anything the 9900 does that my 9700 couldn't... I was just thinking that I was just as productive on my old 8310( I loved that phone) as the 9700.

NFC and not lag like ****. 9700 was garbage.

Upgrade is an upgrade.
    11-23-11 02:19 PM
    I just came back from htc and evo. Had the orginal evo and the evo 3d. The reason I came back to bb is because I got an evo tablet and decided to go back to a phone with good battery life.

First off...I do like this phone a lot and its a real joy to type on. As far as internet and entertainment (games, etc)...WOW...RIM is being embarrased. This app store is an outright joke. If I didn't have my evo tablet...no way I could stay with this phone.

Great for messaging...other than that...BORING!!!!

11-23-11 03:51 PM
    NFC and not lag like ****. 9700 was garbage.

Upgrade is an upgrade.
    My 9700 didn't seem to lag. And I don't really care about NFC. It hasn't caught on, and it will be a while before it becomes mainstream. Besides... I said the 9900 didn't seem to offer more productivity than my other blackberrys. What a person can do with the 9900, is the same as someone could do with the 9700.

Try not to confuse productivity with other things; keyboard, size, NFC etc is all preference. Doesn't really offer much more in terms of being productive. You can receive and send emails from both devices. At our installation, the 9700 is still used by many managers. If its good enough to help protect our country, who are we to say it sux? Seems like it's track record speaks for itself.

I do agree that the 9900 is an nice upgrade; however, I still don't see how a person could be more productive when answering and receiving emails.
    11-23-11 09:52 PM
    My 9700 didn't seem to lag. And I don't really care about NFC. It hasn't caught on, and it will be a while before it becomes mainstream. Besides... I said the 9900 didn't seem to offer more productivity than my other blackberrys. What a person can do with the 9900, is the same as someone could do with the 9700.

Try not to confuse productivity with other things; keyboard, size, NFC etc is all preference. Doesn't really offer much more in terms of being productive. You can receive and send emails from both devices. At our installation, the 9700 is still used by many managers. If its good enough to help protect our country, who are we to say it sux? Seems like it's track record speaks for itself.

I do agree that the 9900 is an nice upgrade; however, I still don't see how a person could be more productive when answering and receiving emails.
    When you're sitting and drinking your coffee, you can just touch it to answer/turn on speaker, open emails rather than playing with the trackpad and press, i'ld say it is more productive. But that's just me, i'm lazy sometimes!!
    11-23-11 10:19 PM
    When you're sitting and drinking your coffee, you can just touch it to answer/turn on speaker, open emails rather than playing with the trackpad and press, i'ld say it is more productive. But that's just me, i'm lazy sometimes!!
    That's funny, but I would agree that having the touch screen could be beneficial at times. I plan on purchasing one, but still waiting to confirm the bricking issue has been rectified.
    11-24-11 01:12 AM
    I love how people feel the need to commit Blackberry suicide. Is it for closure or validation? I did the same thing with Facebook...told everyone that Facebook sucked and that I was "out"...but I was back in a week.
    11-24-11 04:32 AM
    I just traded in my 9930 at Verizon for a Droid 3 under warranty. I did not want to. I loved that phone. I have had three other BB's before getting my 9930 AUGust 15th. Since August 15th I have had 4 9930's. SO why did I trade it in? Its not a dependable phone. I have lost data, two clients, and two appointments on two occasions due to the "morning after brick" SO when Rim cleans up their mess I will be back, I love the phones, when they are working.
    Four phones in 3 months, HOW can even the biggest fanboy defend that? I will add that I dont play with my phone with betas or any other geek stuff.
    11-24-11 08:53 AM
    I had to go through four 9780s before getting one that didn't have the stuttering keypad problem. Once that hurdle was passed, however, the 9780 has been rock-solid.

My concern about the future of BBs is that developers seem to be losing interest. Kindle for iOS and Android is full-featured; not for BB. And the OS7 Kindle app is yet to appear. The very sparseness of the OS7 App World doesn't suggest that developers are in a hurry to get their wares onto the platform.
    11-24-11 11:52 AM
    I had to go through four 9780s before getting one that didn't have the stuttering keypad problem. Once that hurdle was passed, however, the 9780 has been rock-solid.

My concern about the future of BBs is that developers seem to be losing interest. Kindle for iOS and Android is full-featured; not for BB. And the OS7 Kindle app is yet to appear. The very sparseness of the OS7 App World doesn't suggest that developers are in a hurry to get their wares onto the platform.
    And that is unfortunate. I used to like the fact that though we didn't have a million apps, I always knew i could find ones I needed. That does not seem to be the case anymore.
    11-24-11 12:11 PM
    ...and crappy browsing, truncated emails, silly RDM... For some security features are useful. They are not successful in the 1st world mass market. I love my BB. Push email is a hoot. But there is probably a very simple way to skirt the RIM servers when you don't need to play secret agent, and corporate ego is preventing it. Just my theory.

If you want excellent browsing pair your bb wit da pb.

I had an issue with not being able to send 'large' email attachments...this turned-out to be a non BB issue, Ex. I have 3 email accounts...from one account I was not able to send attachments larger than approx. 2 MB...from another account I can send up to approx. 8 MB...
    Last edited by anthogag; 11-24-11 at 05:38 PM.
    11-24-11 01:40 PM
    Tablets and ereaders are for girls.
    11-24-11 05:38 PM
    Blackberry has been anything but a disappointment to me. I do not need my phone for business, so my phone is truly for personal use. I love the keyboard on the 9930, but it took me a few different phones (BB Curve 8330, HTC Eris, iphone 4, Droid, DroidPro, Droid X2, and the 9930) to realize how MUCH I enjoy it! The only screen keyboard I don't mind typing with is my Playbook keyboard!

My disappointment, if it can be called that, is the virulent negativity swirling around even the name RIM. My 9930 is a powerhouse without having a lot of unnecessary apps on it.
    It is so easy to type on this phone & the quality of the media player and the camera is more than adequate. I spent weeks trying to use my Android phone, but every other day I would switch back to my BB. I don't believe that changing BB phones to be more like iphone, Android, etc. would make BB any better. I would rather see BB improve on what makes BB unique--the best keyboard available, beautiful screen, superior security,etc.. Yes, there are lot of things that need work if RIM is to re-gain it's market share, but these are really good phones!!! Can't we all just buy the phones that work best for us, let everyone else buy the phones that they are happy with, and respectfully demand (with our money) the best products from the companies who make these products? I understand frustration with RIM, but I am so afraid that, in the process of providing ''new'' phones, we could lose what we have loved about BB for so long. I can't help but believe that most BB users feel the same way.
    Vijik likes this.
    11-24-11 05:39 PM
    Tablets and ereaders are for girls.

Your opinion is out-of-this-world
    11-24-11 05:48 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD