Ok, I have crappy battery life on my 9900, I have only the main apps running, and it still only last 6 hours max, screen brightness is medium, I am using orange (UK) sognal is normally good, but battery drainage is still 10%+ I have tried 4-5 different batteries all with the same drainage. Could it be a defective handset or is something else ajar

PS I'm on the 7.1 leaked
    03-12-12 07:49 PM
    Do you check what is running in the background? How much memory are they using? Do you always have good signal strength? I have a 9930 and on the average I get the same 6 hours of medium to heavy use but through out the day I have access to a charger.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-12-12 08:12 PM
    The only apps at are running are the apps that have too be open, browser, BBM, text etc.
    03-12-12 08:15 PM
    Put screen brightness down to 10/20.... Put the phone into 2G mode and you'll get 12+ hours easily.

My battery was shocking when I first installed the 7.1 leak, and never believed in 'letting the battery sync with the software, letting it settle' etc etc, but stuck with it as I couldn't be bothered to change software again.

Low and behold, about 2 weeks after I installed the software, I started to get really good battery life. The best I'd ever had in fact. 18 hours easily on moderate use, draining ay about 4% an hour.

Give it time.
    03-12-12 08:16 PM
    I've had the leak since it was released, 2g is not really any use too me as I need a snappy connection during the day. I was in love with this phone when I got it, but now? I'm really not impressed it seems the longer I use the phone it gets worse, when I got it battery life was bearable but I didn't let it put me off the phone but its just gettin beyona joke
    03-12-12 08:22 PM
    I've had the leak since it was released, 2g is not really any use too me as I need a snappy connection during the day. I was in love with this phone when I got it, but now? I'm really not impressed it seems the longer I use the phone it gets worse, when I got it battery life was bearable but I didn't let it put me off the phone but its just gettin beyona joke
    i have pretty much the same experience. it gets really crappy. drains when it's idle while im at work...
    03-12-12 08:35 PM
    I'm gettin rid of it at the end of the month if the battery doesn't improve dramatically
    03-12-12 09:15 PM
    There's a lot of misinformation in this and other threads like this one...but if you're serious about addressing the issue, you need to perform a device wipe and an OS restore. That means fully wiping the OS so the phone doesn't boot anymore, then restoring the OS, any OS you're comfortable with. I'm on 7.1.0.267. Use JL Commander or Javaloader for the wipe. Do a full backup 1st.

Forget the 2G/3G crap, as you didn't buy this phone to go to 2G...

Forget what you've heard about "battery syncing to the OS", or the OS "settling"; that's a huge load of crap posted by half-brained sheep.

Just do the wipe /restore and make sure you're not running any 3rd party apps that run in background, or using auto refresh on any social feeds.

Turn Bluetooth off when not is use, leave WiFi off unless you need it, and only when you need it, turn screen brightness down to 10% and turn on auto-dimming.

Set your screen shutoff to 10 seconds.

You should see a huge improvement once you've done all this. I get 36+ hours with moderate usage. The auto-dimming feature will get you a lot of battery.

Close an app when you're finished using it; never leave it open.

Turn your IM's off if you don't need them; they're a parasitic drain on the device.

Unlike its predecessors, this phone does require effort to get power management happening to to the point where you get 24+ hours of battery - and under heavy usage, you won't get 24 hours, no matter what.

Buy a spare battery and battery charger if you want to be safe. I have several batteries, always fully charged. When I'm driving, I'm usually on the CLA charging as well.

Finally - don't listen to anyone here who can't put a sentence together, can't punctuate - or doesn't care to. They have less of a clue than most as to how to address an issue.
    03-12-12 09:38 PM
    I understand what your saying, about the battery etc but I'm due an upgrade next month so I may aswell wait leave the battery as is, just do what I'm doing at the moment, swapping batteries. And get an iphone or HTC next month. And then sell this
    03-12-12 09:44 PM
    All of these battery threads are becoming redundant. Did I miss something along the way, if the battery life is that bad, how about this.....purchase a extra battery from Amazon for about $5 and be done with it.....simple solution...problem solved. When I was a heavy user with my 8330 (excellent batt life) I always carried an extra battery.
    03-12-12 09:54 PM
    I have got a spare battery but I didn't buy this phone too keep swapping batteries
    LordCrankypants likes this.
    03-13-12 09:18 AM
    It's all relative. When I switched from Android to this, 18 hours of battery life was a godsend to me.

A lot of people are upset that the battery life is not as good as previous BlackBerrys. What do you actually expect? Do the math:

Smaller battery + more powerful phone = lower battery life (9900)

Bigger battery (or even same size one) + less powerful phone = greater battery life (older BBs)

Sometimes the battery is defective. Sometimes there are too many useless apps running in the background. How many people still have the bloatware that came with the phone (like Amazon mp3 store) still installed? How many of you have the network switching from 3G/H+ and 2G automatically? How many of you have refreshing still on your social network apps? How many of you have a ton of apps you likely don't get much use out of, but that are still running in the background? Have you thought of using the auto ON/OFF feature for when you are asleep?

Remember too, that sometimes the security software that Enterprise versions of the BB have installed on them can eat away at the battery. I remember being Duty Officer when I was on a Military contract last summer, and the phone that was issued to me had brightness up to 100, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth On and was set to 3G/H+ and 2G. I was doing this for two days. After the battery got really low in about five hours of me taking over, I looked at it all, turned all the crap off and then charged the phone. Once I took it off the charger, it was still at 60% when I handed the phone in the next day.

Like I say, sometimes you get a defective battery, but I doubt it's as often as I read from different people about battery issues. Check out what your phone is running and do everything you can to make it more efficient. Some of you might think I'm blowing smoke out of my arse, but I've gone from less than 18 hours from when I got this phone to almost two days on my battery, and I'm still rocking the supposedly inefficient OS 7.0.585. My battery was at 55% when it turned back on this morning at 0630. It's 1040 now, and I'm only down to 45%, with moderate usage. Granted I'm no heavy user, but still, you can't argue with results.

JB
    Last edited by LordCrankypants; 03-13-12 at 09:52 AM.
    03-13-12 09:42 AM
    This explains why I sold mine and switched back to an iPhone.

I absolutely loved my 9930 when I first got it. Over time, the software updates just kept getting worse and worse, and it's a damn shame, cause I truly did like the phone at first.

Maybe RIM will finally get it right one of these days...
    03-13-12 09:48 AM
    Put it this way I'm not holding out too much hope for bb 10
    03-13-12 09:56 AM
    Put it this way I'm not holding out too much hope for bb 10
    Right there with ya.
    03-13-12 10:06 AM
    Right there with ya.
    I wonder if the reason this phone was released with such a small battery is because the pressure on RIM from when BBM went down and other companies releasing new phone, like apple.
    03-13-12 10:12 AM
    *facepalm*

It was released with a smaller battery because many smartphones that were/are being released at the same time were thinner, so this was a compromise on RIM's part to try and balance decent battery life with a thin form factor. I think they succeeded, based on the battery life I get.

JB
    03-13-12 10:26 AM
    Hi guys,
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm running the official 7.0 from Bell Canada with the setup of 10/20 and select only 4G as connection. I close all apps at the background and the refresh rate for Facebook and twitter is on max delay. Btw I'm not a Hardcore user but still use sometimes Bridge, bbm alot, send email's and make more than 8 calls a day AND get TWO (2) full days with a single charge.
    03-13-12 10:37 AM
    BTW I was a iphone user and did the same tasks and just got 8 hours with it. I love my Bold 9900 <3
    03-13-12 10:40 AM
    A compromise from rim too give a phone varying bat life from 6 hours too 36 hours? This phone wouldve had extensive testing and they still released it with a smaller battery
    03-13-12 10:45 AM
    Battery life doesn't vary from six hours to 36 hours. That statement implies that the same battery in the same phone is getting those spikes in battery life. My battery went from about 18 hours to 36 hours just by turning off a lot of the junk that wasn't necessary for my experience.

The compromise from RIM was so that the 99X0 could have a thin form factor while still remaining a BB at its core (which it is). There are people out there that get six hours on their batteries. There are people out there that get two days out of their batteries. If you've had more than one phone and are having the same trouble every time with the battery, maybe you should stop and think that it might not be the battery that's the problem...

JB
    03-13-12 11:03 AM
    Hello, positive energy is lacking in these last posts!!

I <3 my BB
    Last edited by Smartie020; 03-20-12 at 09:38 AM.
    LordCrankypants likes this.
    03-13-12 11:32 AM
    No, its got too be the handset or something running that I can't see, I have tried other batteries. Hey it don't matter I'm swapping it for an iphone then gettin another iphone at the end of the month then gettin my upgrade, (yes 3 phones in a month, selling 2 kepping one)
    03-13-12 09:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD