07-24-11 10:33 AM
47 12
tools
    Looking at the playbook and how long it is taking RIM with it I think that if I get an OS7 phone by the time my upgrade is here maybe RIM will QNX running right and complete on a phone. Save some headaches and crying about it not being right yet.

They will have to make changes as I don't think they can just put the same OS from the playbook on a phone.
    07-22-11 08:04 AM
    That Yahoo article will look pretty dumb when the 9900/9930 sells like crazy for all of us (current, former, or first time) BlackBerry owners that have wanted the touchscreen/ full keyboard/non slider experience. But will there be an article about how it surprised everyone by how well it sold? Nope. Because that's how RIM does their media, and how media does RIM: under the radar (unless it's bad news, in which case, everyone is quick to jump on the "RIM is dead" bandwagon).
    The 9900 won't sell crazy. We here are a small group that will rush out and buy one. Factoring in the GP, it will barely make a dent.
    07-22-11 08:15 AM
    Yes, QNX phones will be coming so the 9900 will be outdone by those at some point. I'm assuming the iPhone 6 will come out next year, does that make the iPhone 5 from later this year a terrible purchase too? Technology just moves too fast. I'm just excited for the 9900 as it's going to be an awesome upgrade from my Tour.
    07-22-11 08:23 AM
    Oh want to add a comment about the article. Does anyone actually read and/or use Yahoo anymore?

I didn't think they were still around and relevant.
    Yahoo is very relevant,

You need to use Yahoo Groups to be part of "freecycle" which is a fantastic waste diversion system for giving away stuff you don't want, and getting other peoples stuff.

I've given away TV's, Computers, furniture, clothing, VHS etc

in addition many people don't trust Google, they have become the Microsoft of the 21st century, and thus people might use gmail for their email, but Yahoo for searching so they are not allowing google to store EVERYTHING about them.
    07-22-11 08:25 AM
    Why even bother reading an article that as many of you have pointed out is talking about technology that gets outdated?

And second they are NOT cell phones. That technology is gone. You can argue that the words "Cell Phone" have just become accepted like Kleenex, JET SKI and Xerox but they have to differentiate between smart phones and dumb phones. You can not call them all "Cell Phones."
    07-22-11 08:25 AM
    First QNX phone is slated to be a Touch screen, and they will Market the crap outta that for a quarter before releasing the next QNX form factor, then you'll see another Playbook, I would suspect we wont see a Full QWERTY QNX device till this time next year.

and many of us are on single year upgrade cycles, and many more are people who buy for 2 years, waiting 1 full year is pointless, sure waiting 2-3 months for a device is worth while, and in the case of THIS particular BB because the 9900 is twice the specs of the 9700 is makes it a very worth while upgrade to take you for 2 years till QNX is on the Entire blackberry line up, AND on second generation units for some devices.
    07-22-11 08:28 AM
    Also, another thing to add is that most people, unlike us and other tech followers, don't have a clue what QNX is and when it is going to come. They don't follow the latest leaked info or the latest word from RIM or any other company in which we analyze and try to pull out hidden info. This phone will be fine as well as the others and the argument of the going obsolete is an obsolete argument.
    07-22-11 08:38 AM
    Why even bother reading an article that as many of you have pointed out is talking about technology that gets outdated?

And second they are NOT cell phones. That technology is gone. You can argue that the words "Cell Phone" have just become accepted like Kleenex, JET SKI and Xerox but they have to differentiate between smart phones and dumb phones. You can not call them all "Cell Phones."
    07-22-11 08:41 AM
    so this is outdated before its released? strange
    07-22-11 08:54 AM
    these don't make sense! isn't then EVERY PHONE doomed to be a collectable?

when any company releases a phone EVERYONE knows there's going to be a better one in a few months!!

when people bought the iphone 1 they knew there was going to be an iphone 3g then they knew there was going to be a 3gs then they knew there was going to be a iphone 4 .. now they know there's going to be a iphone 4gs/5.. then u know there's going to be a iphone 5 etc etc

maybe the difference is that apple makes their new iOS firmware compatible with the previous generation iphone.. where QNX will probably not run on any other device! maybe!?

but then again they are still selling the ip3g and i don't believe iOS will be able to run on that.. but didn't do any research

just like when we bought the Torch.. we knew there was going to be a nicer blackberry in less then a year! i still bought it just like 1000's of other people..
    07-22-11 09:10 AM
    I know one thing that I wont do again is buy a phone that is a carrier exclusive. IE the Tour. Verizon was slow to update it and its still on OS5. At least with a Bold there will be many more on the market and a better chance of it staying relavent. I am using an upgrade on the 9930 because it expires in October and I need a new phone to replace my Tour.
    07-22-11 09:13 AM
    Well it sounds like you don't really even understand your own comparison. You're comparing iPhone 3G to 3GS and Bold 9780 to 9900. We all know the only difference between the iphone 3G and 3GS is a higher cpu (by like 200mhz) and an extra megapixel. There are many more differences between the 9780 and the 9900. It really is more like the 3G to the iPhone4 in this case, even down to the addition of the same style stainless steel band around the frame. And I didn't say 'totally new' form factor, i said totally different (from the 9780). Heck, the Iphone4 is not a totally new form factor from the the iPhone 3G, but it's different.

Just because some of the features are outdated in your mind(touchscreen, hd recording, etc) doesn't change the fact that they are features that your 9780 doesn't have.

Even the specs that 'make it faster' are much more of a significant upgrade than the 3G to 3GS which only gave it a couple hundred extra mhz while the 9900 doubles from 624mhz to 1.2ghz, along with finally a built-in GPU.

You even admit that it should have competed with the iPhone 4, so thanks for proving my argument.

Yes I really do think it is like the iPhone 3 to iPhone 3GS. Totally new form factor? Don't think so. They took a bold 9000 and made it a bit thinner.

Touchscreen? About time.

NFC? That is new. Hd video? About time (albeit a year late). The 9900 should have been released a year ago to compete with ip4. The other stuff you list are specs that make it faster like the iPhone 3 to 3GS. If it weren't for apple, rim would have gave us another phone with slower processor than 1.2 ghz.

I really am pulling for rim but doesn't seem like they are even trying to keep up with the times with this 9900 release. Probably one of the reasons you see so many rim fans (myself included) finally throwing the towel in and considering making the move to ip5.
    07-22-11 09:34 AM
    Reading the article, it doesn't even put it in a negative light. It says it's just probably the last phone (along with the other OS7 devices) that will be using BB OS rather than QNX. Something we all know anyway?
    07-22-11 09:38 AM
    I don't know why people are getting their panties in a bunch over this. The 9900 will be a great phone. The truth is, if it's obliterated by a QNX phone relatively soon, that is the best thing EVER for RIM, and might even be what will save the company.

I'll be first in line for the 9900, and if a kicka$$ QNX phone that makes the 9900 look like a POS comes out 6 months later, that is WONDERFUL.
    07-22-11 11:02 AM
    I don't know why people are getting their panties in a bunch over this. The 9900 will be a great phone. The truth is, if it's obliterated by a QNX phone relatively soon, that is the best thing EVER for RIM, and might even be what will save the company.

I'll be first in line for the 9900, and if a kicka$$ QNX phone that makes the 9900 look like a POS comes out 6 months later, that is WONDERFUL.
    Heh...panties.
    07-22-11 11:40 AM
    I'll stay with OS 6 until QNX is available. OS 7, being one and done, is not worth wasting an upgrade.
    Can someone tell me what the big deal is about QNX, that would warrant waiting for it? Is it something the everyday person needs or will it be more for app developers or what?
    07-22-11 01:28 PM
    Another thing that has to be considered is if QNX is going to be so much different than BBOS, there's bound to be consumers that will prefer to stick with OS7. I have a feeling that if the 9900 is one of the last devices running BBOS, it may become popular for years to come, with some people that just plain prefer the old traditional style of the OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 08:04 PM

Your smartphone still uses a cellular radio to connect to a cellular tower on a cellular network. It's a cellphone. O.o

07-22-11 08:59 PM
    Reading the article, it doesn't even put it in a negative light. It says it's just probably the last phone (along with the other OS7 devices) that will be using BB OS rather than QNX. Something we all know anyway?
    Could be the author wants one but doesn't feel like being in the minority to fellow columnists - down with RIM! - and all that.

07-22-11 09:03 PM
    I find it funny that so many people talk about the new QNX phones as some super crazy awesome phones. We have no idea what they will look like or how they will operate (probably close to that playbook). OS7 looks so similar to the playbook anyway, how can the new schmancy QNX phones be that different?

Dual-core processors aren't the only solution either. The iphone, many other android phones AND the 9900,9860,9850 all run super smooth from what I have seen with a single core.

Just because the potential to create a better device with a new operating system is there in over a year doesn't take anything away from the great devices RIM will release in the coming months.

This stupid article talks about how "mature" OS7 is. That doesn't mean anything. You don't see them bashing apple on their OS being pretty similar year after year. A natural evolution of an OS is a good thing. Of course a major change is good when necessary, but who is to say the OS7 is garbage? It looks really slick so far.

My point is: Test out OS7 for yourselves to see if it works for you before dismissing it as "not QNX". Maybe find a real reason other than "it's not QNX" to pass these up.
    Masahiro likes this.
    07-24-11 12:54 AM
    Probably quite a few people, since Yahoo is the home page for several ISPs. For instance, if one has AT&T as his ISP, he gets the Yahoo content. If one has Verizon as his ISP, he gets to choose Verizon Yahoo or Verizon MSN.
    I chose Verizon over yahoo.
    07-24-11 10:23 AM
    You know, based on my playbook experence, apps will be slow in coming. I will get either the 9930 or 9850 and as soon as a qnx phone comes out and has the apps I use I will get it. As pointed out who knows if we'll even be here in a year.
    07-24-11 10:33 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD