I really WANT to get a Bold 9930 but I don't NEED to get one.

My problem is that I know that the BB7 phones are a stop gap phone for Blackberry. We all really want the QNX phones which should come out in early 2012. (If the phones get delayed further RIMM stock will probably crash further and users and developers will probably abandon in greater numbers.)

If I upgrade from a Bold 9650 to a Bold 9930 I have to commit for 24 months. I am in a 4G LTE service area and I do not want to be stuck with a 3G phone for 24 months.

I also am not willing to purchase a Bold 9930 for $510. If I can buy it for $300 without a 24 month contract, I'd do it.

Please help me with reasons to upgrade to a Bold 9930 today.
    09-18-11 11:45 PM
    Do it! worry about getting a QNX phone when that time comes. With the way RIM is, it might be a while before we'll actually get our hands on one...

You can always sell the 9930 and use the cash to upgrade in 12 months too, or open another line for it.
    09-18-11 11:52 PM
    If your 9650 is working for you, then you do not NEED a 9900. It is a great phone, but in your case, especially if you are really interested in a QNX handset, wait. You maybe waiting awhile but, like I mentioned, if your happy with your 9650, stick with your 9650 until you NEED to replace it(as you mentioned you don't NEED one). If you have to replace the 9650 in a few months, buy a used one as the price will drop, as all electronics do, and save your upgrade when QNX comes out. My two cents, but I do love my 9900.
    09-18-11 11:53 PM
    I played with the Bold 9930 at my Verizon store and now I'm really bummed that I don't have one.

This website gives out too much information causing me to postpone an upgrade. :-)
    09-19-11 12:06 AM
    Get the 9930.
    If you want a phone with a physical keyboard, you will be waiting a long time for a QNX phone. The first QNX phones will be touch screen only. It could be 24 months before a Bold style QNX phone comes out.
    09-19-11 12:17 AM
    To answer your thread title directly: yes. And I have. No regrets.

As far as your needs/wants go, you'll have to assess what you want and prioritize before making a purchase. While I'd love to sit here and pound out praises for the 99xx (it's fantastic), it's really all about what you need and/or want.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-19-11 12:20 AM
    I cant commit to ANY phone for 24 months LOL

Anyway to answer your question moving from a 9650 to a 9930 is line night and day (I did it)the device is faster, keyboard better, and launch software seems stable.

As for QNX, remember that the first generation of these phones will almost certainly be buggy (remember the Storm?), and the existence of QNX will in no way detract from the quality of your Bold.

Worst case scenario: buy a QNX phone full retail when you think it is ready and sell the 9930 to defray some of the cost, higher end Blackberries tend to retain their resale value.
    09-19-11 01:19 AM
    I cant commit to ANY phone for 24 months LOL

Anyway to answer your question moving from a 9650 to a 9930 is line night and day (I did it)the device is faster, keyboard better, and launch software seems stable.

As for QNX, remember that the first generation of these phones will almost certainly be buggy (remember the Storm?), and the existence of QNX will in no way detract from the quality of your Bold.

Worst case scenario: buy a QNX phone full retail when you think it is ready and sell the 9930 to defray some of the cost, higher end Blackberries tend to retain their resale value.

Agree with everything here. I can barely make it 6 months without getting a strong urge to drop obscene amounts of money on a new phone...

The Bold 9930 is absolutely the best BB available. If you can find the money, buy it. I don't really like the "if you like your 9650, then keep it" argument...you don't know what you're missing.

Personally, I'll likely buy a QNX phone the day it comes out (and be nervously pacing my apartment for the entire week prior), but if you're not the type to handle 1st-gen software/hardware, I'd say you could probably do quite well with the 9930 for a while until the kinks are worked out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-19-11 02:04 AM
    The new Bold is wonderful. It is here. Now. Who knows what the future will bring?
    09-19-11 02:18 AM
    If you get this phone and you really have to keep it for 2 years then I say no.
    09-19-11 02:38 AM
    I've never kept a phone more than 18months. But I still jumped on the 9900 bandwagon with a 24 month contract.

At the end of the day if you get bored or want a new phone, just sell it and buy out of the contract.

I've done that more times than I care to think about lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-19-11 03:15 AM
    I have my 9900 for 24 months my 9700 was on an 18 month contract but I ended up having that for about 21 months due to waiting for the 9900. I think in two years time the QNX devices will be well established and bug free hopefully

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-11 04:13 AM
    I will keep the 9900 and get a QNX phone when it launches.
    09-19-11 04:23 AM
    i love my 9900, and I will consider the QNX phone when that comes out. How else can i stay on the bleeding edge?
    09-19-11 04:53 AM
    Yes, I commited myself already to my 9900, 24month contract, no regrets here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-11 05:22 AM
    I commit my phone for 36 months lol, and yes i switched my phone within 3-4 years, and if the rumoured true about colt being only touch screen, than its gonna be much longer before we see the true evolution of QNX bold
    09-19-11 06:53 AM
    Just like the other threads with different titles. There was no other option for me. No other phone on the market brings to the table what I want. And I didn't really commit to this exact phone for 24 months. I committed to my contract. If I need another phone than I would have to pay for another phone outright.
    09-19-11 07:19 AM
    I am sort of in the same boat as the OP. I would like to use my upgrade on a 9930, but mostly total cost is causing me to hold off (phone cost plus must have accessories).

But my 9650, also, is serving me quite well. If it died on me, I would probably get a used/refurb 9650 for now......

As much as I like the keyboard on the 9930, I will wait until that phone comes down closer to $99.
    09-19-11 08:00 AM
    I hate it when people say that OS 7 is a stop gap. That implies that OS 7 is a bridge to QNX and most people interpret that as RIM will no longer support OS 7 once QNX is released (which is garbage).

The 9900/9930 is a powerful enough phone that you could easily use it for a couple years. I had my 9650 (which is my second fav BB ever) for 18-ish months and worked fine up until the end.
    09-19-11 08:08 AM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The Bold 9900 is here now .. and its amazing!! .. I have been using it for one month now ... can't think of another phone out there i would trade places with ....
    Bromo33333 and YourMobileGuru like this.
    09-19-11 08:12 AM
    I shelled out for the "no commit" price ($510 less a Verizon Gift Card I had). I don't want to be tied down to a phone for 24 months at all if I can help it.

I really like QNX a lot in the playbook, but I expect the first QNX phone to feel like a work in progress, not as bad as the Playbook, but a bit rough around the edges because they are running as fast as they can and the hurry is bound to have things less than perfect.

And as I noticed OS7 apps are less numerous than OS6 ... and unlikely to be updated as much due to the "imminent" QNX ... I can't imagine that QNX will have more than a handful of good apps and a handful of mediocre ones at first.

I really WANT to get a Bold 9930 but I don't NEED to get one.

My problem is that I know that the BB7 phones are a stop gap phone for Blackberry. We all really want the QNX phones which should come out in early 2012. (If the phones get delayed further RIMM stock will probably crash further and users and developers will probably abandon in greater numbers.)

If I upgrade from a Bold 9650 to a Bold 9930 I have to commit for 24 months. I am in a 4G LTE service area and I do not want to be stuck with a 3G phone for 24 months.

I also am not willing to purchase a Bold 9930 for $510. If I can buy it for $300 without a 24 month contract, I'd do it.

Please help me with reasons to upgrade to a Bold 9930 today.
    09-19-11 08:26 AM
    I know many people can't afford to simply buy their devices outright however, I have gone from waiting for upgrades to simply purchasing my devices outright so as not to be bound by contracts. My wife, who really doesn't care about techy stuff like I do is always pleased to take over my device when I upgrade and even if she doesn't, when I buy my new device the re-sale on my current device isn't so bad so I can usually re-coup some money. However, with 3 berries in the house now thanls to my son now reaching the cell phone phase, it's not hard to just hand-me down a device. So we have 3 phones in our household and nobody is bound to any contract. Makes for great bargaining power when you want to complain.

I had an issue with my 9780 and they were going to send me a re-furbished unit. I demanded a new, in the box replacement or I would switch carrier. "OK Sir, we'll send you a new one".

Mind you I have my office, home and cell phone business with Rogers and when they saw what they could be losing, it was no big deal sending me a new device.

Bottom line ... I hate contracts and look to avoid them but also understand that others don't have the means to do so.
    09-19-11 08:36 AM
    Personally, I'll likely buy a QNX phone the day it comes out (and be nervously pacing my apartment for the entire week prior), but if you're not the type to handle 1st-gen software/hardware, I'd say you could probably do quite well with the 9930 for a while until the kinks are worked out.
    Oh I'm in the same boat except I have several lines of service so I can do that without actually deactivating my Bold 9930. For about two weeks I had both Bolds active until I upgraded the old Bold line to the Bionic. When the first QNX BB comes out I will likely deactivate whatever Android phone I am bored of by then in favor if it and then evaluate if I want to keep both BB's active or retire the Bold (I expect to keep both for a while since the OS's are different).
    09-19-11 08:16 PM
    I had no problem signing a two year contract for the 9930. It a great device well worth the money.
    09-19-11 08:20 PM
    As much as I like the keyboard on the 9930, I will wait until that phone comes down closer to $99.
    By the time this kind of phone drops like that it generally means it's replacement is either here or almost here and anyone worrying about committing to a phone for any length of time should not buy anything but a tip level phone.
    09-19-11 08:21 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD