When it comes to multi-tasking, the 9900 and the PB are in two separate worlds. You're not getting the same level or complexisty of multi-tasking on the 9900 that you are on the PB, so saying the one multi-tasks better than the other is not a fair comparison.
    How is the playbook's multitasking any different from the 9900's? Besides from the flashy animations and the ability to keep videos running while on other screens (mostly useless) both keep applications running in the background until you want them ready to be quickly accessed.

The difference is, it takes me literally 1 - second to switch between bbm and my calendar app on the 9900 while it sometimes takes me 2-3 seconds to do the same on the playbook. Sure it doesn't seem like much while reading it but you sure feel it while using the devices as I actually prefer to use the 9900 to do ANYTHING other than web browsing and gaming over the playbook.

Bottom line is that people don't actually care about how complex the process is. They care about how fast, smooth and efficiently things get done.

Playbook's got it on the smooth department with all the sweet gestures and eye candy that's for sure but i still feel more efficient doing stuff on my 9900.

RIM needs to make things way faster on their phones than it currently is on the playbook or they will fail.

Dual core does not make a processor faster than a single core. Depending on the task, a single core processor will operate faster than a slower speed dual core. So maybe it's me who should be rolling their eyes.

JB
    I have been schooled. Thanks.
    04-17-12 02:04 PM
    The issue with the PB is not that the load times are slower, but rather that it has load times at all. The 9900 opens apps like music and the calculator (apps that don't permanently run in the background) instantly, whereas there's a delay for the PB.

With that said, this is not meant to bash the Playbook. I just wouldn't find it suitable for my mobile phone needs (which are different from tablet needs).
    04-17-12 04:36 PM
    BB. I'd never buy an iPhone. I'd rather use this:

Click to view quoted image

That picture brings back memories. kickin' it old school.
    04-17-12 05:15 PM
    I don't see the big deal with apps in the first place I have a iPad and really don't like the thing I find there are to many apps and really only a few are actually used. Apologies to iPhones users out there but in my opinion there really is nothing special about them. When I saw this victory rendering I found myself getting excited about the phone and am really looking forward to BB10.
    04-17-12 09:44 PM
    Not an Apple fan at all but a Bold running BB 10 is my dream.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-17-12 09:54 PM
    That picture brings back memories. kickin' it old school.
    Yes Good old Snake! I never beat it though, but I had a lot of fun and even had different housings for it. I had a Mashimaro one, LOL.
    04-17-12 09:59 PM
    It is hard to speculate when BB 10 nor iPhone 5(S or whatever) is not out yet. I would just wait for the release of these phones.

Also, I kind of had enough of reading these threads asking other approval for YOUR personal decision. But I understand we need reviews, but these phones are not out yet.
    This is very true. But my overall question for my fellow Bold 99XX lovers is if RIM does NOT have a physical qwerty keyboard and at least a 3.5" touchscreen and specs on a 2013 Bold that kicks , would you then in turn say, "screw it! I'll just jump to Apple and grab a iphone 5s or 6 (depending on what's availible at the time in August 2013) We all know that RIM is heading to a Windows/Android Widget touchscreen to keep them afloat in the US market, But if they had any sense, they'd at least keep the RIM faithful with a kick- Bold X (my idea ) OS10 that we would snap up in a heartbeat.
    04-18-12 09:32 AM
    @KrizM23

You realize that the PlayBook uses a 1GHz processor while the 9900 uses a 1.2 GHz processor, right?

QNX is a more complex OS than OS7, so naturally you're going to see a bit of a slowdown there - combine that with the slower processor (albeit dual core) and you can see how it would take a little longer for say, apps (that also take up more memory due to the larger screen size and processing power required). As such, moving between them will be a bit slower as well.

Even with that, though, I've never really had an issue with speed on my PB, especially since the OS 2.0 upgrade.

JB
    I'm a bit confused Lord CP's...that's a Playbook...I'm talking about RIM being able to have a Bold w/at least a 3.5"-4" touchscreen & full size qwerty keyboard running OS10 for us Bold 99XX faithful.
    04-18-12 09:41 AM
    This is very true. But my overall question for my fellow Bold 99XX lovers is if RIM does NOT have a physical qwerty keyboard and at least a 3.5" touchscreen and specs on a 2013 Bold that kicks , would you then in turn say, "screw it! I'll just jump to Apple and grab a iphone 5s or 6 (depending on what's availible at the time in August 2013) We all know that RIM is heading to a Windows/Android Widget touchscreen to keep them afloat in the US market, But if they had any sense, they'd at least keep the RIM faithful with a kick- Bold X (my idea ) OS10 that we would snap up in a heartbeat.
    Let's assume that RIM has done their research and determined that the market for all-touch phones is bigger than the market for keyboard phones. If that's the case, then that's what they should go with. If for every "RIM faithful" keyboard diehard they lose, they gain more than one new user who prefers all-touch, they come out ahead, and that's good business. They can't afford to lose more and more market share by trying to keep the old guard happy.

If things were better and they could afford to release two BB10 models at once, it would be a different story, but their back is against the wall now. They need to get it right. As much as many of us love the physical keyboard, the market has indeed spoken in favor of all-touch. They simply can't ignore that. If and when they turn things around, they can think about a keyboard device.

So I disagree with the premise that if RIM had any sense they'd launch a keyboard device. If they have any sense they'll stay the course and not take any unnecessary risks by defying the market. Despite cash in the bank, they don't really have that much of a safety net.
    Mystic205 likes this.
    04-18-12 10:06 AM
    Let's assume that RIM has done their research and determined that the market for all-touch phones is bigger than the market for keyboard phones. If that's the case, then that's what they should go with. If for every "RIM faithful" keyboard diehard they lose, they gain more than one new user who prefers all-touch, they come out ahead, and that's good business. They can't afford to lose more and more market share by trying to keep the old guard happy.

If things were better and they could afford to release two BB10 models at once, it would be a different story, but their back is against the wall now. They need to get it right. As much as many of us love the physical keyboard, the market has indeed spoken in favor of all-touch. They simply can't ignore that. If and when they turn things around, they can think about a keyboard device.

So I disagree with the premise that if RIM had any sense they'd launch a keyboard device. If they have any sense they'll stay the course and not take any unnecessary risks by defying the market. Despite cash in the bank, they don't really have that much of a safety net.
    No, I think you are misunderstanding the question I pose. YES! RIM needs an initial OS10 to be almost like a mini Playbook full touchscreen and specs & apps that will make an average consumer take a 2nd look at BlackBerry. What I'm saying is, after the introduction of a full touchscreen top spec OS10, will RIM then in 2013 at least give us the Bold faithfull, a device that can be done, a 3.5-4.0" touchscreen w/full qwerty keyboard ala the mock up TK Victory design or similar? The Bold as been RIM's flagship device, just hope by 2013, they will give the faithfull what we deserve.
    04-18-12 10:42 AM
    Would never consider an I Phone.

However, unless there is a BB10 device with a physical keyboard I will stick with the 9900.
    04-18-12 10:47 AM
    I vowed never to leave Blackberry. I always check out competition (apple and a few androids. hate windows).

i'm happy with my 9900 i said the day i got it "i dont even need up grade anymore" lol.. if BB10 can deliver a good experience, new UI, no sluggish use because of memory hog, as far as apps go i'm on the 'I have the apps I need' boat:
    BeBuzz
    Shazam
    UberSocial
    Crackberry
    AccuWhether
    TuneIn
    Battery Watch
    Rate your Day
    and of course BBM.

I will go BB10. However. If iPhone comes *NEW* like new new new! .. i'm open to trying to iPhone 5. bit those chances are pretty slim between my 9900 on 71 & BB10. We dont really know enough about both phones but we all know these will be the 2 tops guns, throw Galaxy in their if you want. I'm not. Blackberry & Apple will be compared to most people.

ps - None of what I just said matter because the world is ending Dec. 21st, 2012

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry app.
    04-18-12 11:06 AM
    (insert place bad people go to when they die) would freeze over before i bought an iPhone... its a castratingly restrictive ecosystem and i want no part of it.

I have a wifi network, connected to it is my TV, BB, desktop, laptop, netbook, and Galaxy Note. Now, All of the devices support DLNA so i can view photos from my BB on the TV, while using the Galaxy Note to play music from my laptop remotely on the desktop systems speakers... all sweet (and cool)... but then there is the iPad.. sulking in the corner not talking to anyone like the brat who took the basketball home and wouldnt play..then found out that the kids played baseball instead.

I have simply moved all my itunes playlists to WMP and moved on with life and my expectations of the iPad has reduced... If i had to move to another smartphone from BB it would be clearly be Android.. With its DLNA, user customization, widgets, multiple homescreens and larger displays (aids typing) it seems a much more logical choice for a BB user who wants some typing ability and also control over his device.

Of course, if i rock an iphone 5 on Dec 22, its cos that place in fact DID freeze over on Dec 21 and somebody reminds me of this post!
    04-18-12 01:11 PM
    if the iphone was the last messaging device on earth id buy a pigeon..
    So? the whole sending you a new ipad, plus a iphone 4S is pretty much out of the question?
    04-19-12 06:47 AM
    I look forward to the OS upgrades, but if the new os upgrades require me to change my bold to something better, Im going to have to rape everyone at rim
    ...good answer! if Thorsten Heins does not give us loyal Bold 99XX users a comparable new OS10 Bold device (i'm thinking "Bold X" for the 1st BBOS10 flagship name) we super glue his hands on the side of RIM's headquarters and rape him like a 3X lifer from Rikers Island Prison! maybe THEN! he'll understand North American "Get yo' to workin' on what us true BlackBerry lovers want! little tip form your Uncle Timmy.
    04-19-12 06:56 AM
    I vowed never to leave Blackberry. I always check out competition (apple and a few androids. hate windows).

i'm happy with my 9900 i said the day i got it "i dont even need up grade anymore" lol.. if BB10 can deliver a good experience, new UI, no sluggish use because of memory hog, as far as apps go i'm on the 'I have the apps I need' boat:
    BeBuzz
    Shazam
    UberSocial
    Crackberry
    AccuWhether
    TuneIn
    Battery Watch
    Rate your Day
    and of course BBM.

I will go BB10. However. If iPhone comes *NEW* like new new new! .. i'm open to trying to iPhone 5. bit those chances are pretty slim between my 9900 on 71 & BB10. We dont really know enough about both phones but we all know these will be the 2 tops guns, throw Galaxy in their if you want. I'm not. Blackberry & Apple will be compared to most people.

ps - None of what I just said matter because the world is ending Dec. 21st, 2012

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry app.
    My mistake, but I'm sure by or near June-Oct 2013, Apple will have out the iphone 5S or possible iphone 6. Just saying that if Apple comes out with a much better device than RIM will have at the time sans a full qwerty keyboard, then now matter what loyality we have to RIM, we will demo the new 2013 iphone and make an honest compare.
    04-19-12 07:10 AM
    I would definitely go with the BB OS10.
    04-19-12 04:20 PM
    Will the 9900 be able to operate OS 10?
    04-26-12 09:20 PM
    Will the 9900 be able to operate OS 10?
    If I remember correctly, it will not. BBOS 10 will need stronger hardware than what the 9900 has right now.
    04-26-12 09:27 PM
    I will buy a BlackBerry Bold as long as RIM continues to make them. I have my favorite food, favorite drink, and the Bold line has always been my favorite phone. I've had the exact 9000, 9700, a 9780 in white and black, and now the 9900. I'm sold on the Bold forever.
    04-26-12 09:48 PM
    Wasn't sure which forum to start this thread, so I chose the Bold 9930, since I own a Sprint Bold 9930 and couldn't be happier. My question is for fellow Bold 99XX users. If? RIM is able to somehow design a Bold similar to the makeup of the TK Victory shown here on Crackberry.com. would you upgrade to it or stay with BlackBerry and get whatever OS10 touchscreen they would have availible in 2013 or choose the iphone 6? IMO, the physical qwerty keyboard on the Bold 9930 is the best, and if RIM can incorporate a larger touchscreen as well, and keep the Bold 99XX full size qwerty keyboard also, (of course offer at least 150,000 apps by then and have Skype, Netflix, etc available) then it could possibly give the iphone 6 a run for it's money. your thoughts?
    Why are you not including android as an option? Even if the an OS 10 bold comes out, how many applications will it have? Will RIM ever be able to attract enough application developers? I'm starting to doubt it.
    04-26-12 11:52 PM
    if bbx wont be usable on the bold 9900, rim better come out with some sort of properly updated os for 9900 , like bb 8os or bb 9os or something, really do feel screwed , after finding this out ,
    04-27-12 06:35 AM
    I dont Think im going to Read all these Comments, All i wanna Say is IF the 9900 Got Updated somehow to Run BB10 Version i Would be Really Satisfied with it for another Year Maybe, And the Chip used on my 9900 is also Used in Windows 7 Phones so im Pretty sure they are as good as any Chip Available

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry's App
    04-27-12 08:27 AM
    It all depends on whether one or the other comes with an interface for the flux capacitor.

Edit: for me to buy an iPhone, it would have to include the flux capacitor as well!
    robkd likes this.
    04-27-12 08:31 AM
    It's all hard to say yet.
    04-27-12 08:33 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD