Wasn't sure which forum to start this thread, so I chose the Bold 9930, since I own a Sprint Bold 9930 and couldn't be happier. My question is for fellow Bold 99XX users. If? RIM is able to somehow design a Bold similar to the makeup of the TK Victory shown here on Crackberry.com. would you upgrade to it or stay with BlackBerry and get whatever OS10 touchscreen they would have availible in 2013 or choose the iphone 6? IMO, the physical qwerty keyboard on the Bold 9930 is the best, and if RIM can incorporate a larger touchscreen as well, and keep the Bold 99XX full size qwerty keyboard also, (of course offer at least 150,000 apps by then and have Skype, Netflix, etc available) then it could possibly give the iphone 6 a run for it's money. your thoughts?
    04-17-12 07:25 AM
    You mean a 5S, right? I expect we'll get the iPhone 5 ammouncement sometime this summer, for release in August likely. Following Apple's trend, in 2013, we likely won't see the iPhone 6 until 2014.

Regardless, depending on the time frame of the release of BB10, the most likely competition for it will be the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy SIII.

JB
    leftypepper716 likes this.
    04-17-12 07:28 AM
    Wasn't sure which forum to start this thread, so I chose the Bold 9930, since I own a Sprint Bold 9930 and couldn't be happier. My question is for fellow Bold 99XX users. If? RIM is able to somehow design a Bold similar to the makeup of the TK Victory shown here on Crackberry.com. would you upgrade to it or stay with BlackBerry and get whatever OS10 touchscreen they would have availible in 2013 or choose the iphone 6? IMO, the physical qwerty keyboard on the Bold 9930 is the best, and if RIM can incorporate a larger touchscreen as well, and keep the Bold 99XX full size qwerty keyboard also, (of course offer at least 150,000 apps by then and have Skype, Netflix, etc available) then it could possibly give the iphone 6 a run for it's money. your thoughts?
    That's a lot of ifs. I love that TK Victory design, but I think the apps are likely to be the buzz kill for BB10...although the HTML5 version of Skype may be a lifesaver for RIM when it is launched.
    leftypepper716 likes this.
    04-17-12 07:35 AM
    if the iphone was the last messaging device on earth id buy a pigeon..
    04-17-12 07:37 AM
    If my upgrade is due, I would go for the Bold with BB10 to give it a try. The keyboard suits me better. Bold form factor, with a more robust base is definitely a welcome for me. To me a portrait always available keyboard is much nicer to type on than a virtual one. Even when compared to a landscape slider keyboard, it is nicer to type on for me as my thumbs doesn't have to travel far to reach the different keys. Just my personal preference.

Apps are of not much concern to me. I already have all the apps i need on BBOS now. Things like endomondo, whatsapp, tapatalk and banking apps, as long as BB10 has the same functionality as BBOS 7.1 + a robust base + the apps i need, i'm sold. I have been using an iphone for years, after switching to a BB, i found it a little frustrating to use an iphone now. BBOS currently is already very efficient, everything works a little quicker with the physical buttons and keyboard. If the new iPhone has pretty much the same UI, i probably wont be considering it.
    04-17-12 07:39 AM
    I look forward to the OS upgrades, but if the new os upgrades require me to change my bold to something better, Im going to have to rape everyone at rim
    04-17-12 09:19 AM
    I love my 9900. I would stay with bb! I wouldn't even change the 9900 for an iphone5 or even 6.
    04-17-12 09:27 AM
    Always BB for me.
    04-17-12 09:29 AM
    I'd get the iPhone.
    04-17-12 10:49 AM
    LMAO......ditto....still laughing
    04-17-12 10:57 AM
    If BB10 is anything like my Playbook OS, I'll probably stick with my 9900. I find the BBOS to be more simple and faster to use without all the swipe gestures and whatnot. The apps also take longer to load, because of the kind of memory they're stored on.

On the other hand, if BB10 is more of a BBOS/QNX hybrid, then I may give it a shot.
    Alex_Hong and morrsn like this.
    04-17-12 10:58 AM
    It is hard to speculate when BB 10 nor iPhone 5(S or whatever) is not out yet. I would just wait for the release of these phones.

Also, I kind of had enough of reading these threads asking other approval for YOUR personal decision. But I understand we need reviews, but these phones are not out yet.
    04-17-12 11:08 AM
    If BB10 is anything like my Playbook OS, I'll probably stick with my 9900. I find the BBOS to be more simple and faster to use without all the swipe gestures and whatnot. The apps also take longer to load, because of the kind of memory they're stored on.

On the other hand, if BB10 is more of a BBOS/QNX hybrid, then I may give it a shot.
    This.

Hopefully BB10 is leaner and faster on the phones than it is on the playbook 'cuz honestly my playbook is borderline slow compared to my 9900 in normal use and multi-tasking.
    04-17-12 11:08 AM
    Hahaha...
    Notifications won't be that fast.
    04-17-12 11:11 AM
    BB. I'd never buy an iPhone. I'd rather use this:

kthhrrsn, carullo and pjmacklin like this.
    04-17-12 11:31 AM
    @KrizM23

You realize that the PlayBook uses a 1GHz processor while the 9900 uses a 1.2 GHz processor, right?

QNX is a more complex OS than OS7, so naturally you're going to see a bit of a slowdown there - combine that with the slower processor (albeit dual core) and you can see how it would take a little longer for say, apps (that also take up more memory due to the larger screen size and processing power required). As such, moving between them will be a bit slower as well.

Even with that, though, I've never really had an issue with speed on my PB, especially since the OS 2.0 upgrade.

JB
    04-17-12 11:32 AM
    That's a lot of ifs. I love that TK Victory design, but I think the apps are likely to be the buzz kill for BB10...although the HTML5 version of Skype may be a lifesaver for RIM when it is launched.
    Apps are the deciding factor for me...I'd love a BB10 on Bold form factor. What would I use my PlayBook for then?
    04-17-12 11:39 AM
    neither..the world is ending on Dec21, 2012.. its time to get out and get things on 12 months interest free credit!
    04-17-12 12:53 PM
    @KrizM23

You realize that the PlayBook uses a 1GHz processor while the 9900 uses a 1.2 GHz processor, right?

QNX is a more complex OS than OS7, so naturally you're going to see a bit of a slowdown there - combine that with the slower processor (albeit dual core) and you can see how it would take a little longer for say, apps (that also take up more memory due to the larger screen size and processing power required). As such, moving between them will be a bit slower as well.

Even with that, though, I've never really had an issue with speed on my PB, especially since the OS 2.0 upgrade.

JB
    The playbook uses a DUAL Core 1GHz processor while the 9900 uses a SINGLE Core processor Not to mention the playbooks 1 gig of ram vs the 9900s 768mb.

Either way I don't think it even is a hardware thing. Look at the iPad 2: Despite it's low 512 ram and 1Ghz dual core processor it open apps faster than the playbook and just as fast as the iPhone 4/4s despite their screen size differences.

So yeah, it better be way faster than what we see with the playbook if they really want to make an impression.
    04-17-12 12:56 PM
    I am planning to buy the next iPhone..
    04-17-12 12:58 PM
    Pretty sure I'm going to get an iPhone when I'm due an upgrade
    04-17-12 12:59 PM
    i refused to be sucked into the world-apple!
    04-17-12 01:14 PM
    I'm not an iPhone fan, but I suspect QNX is going to be a huge flop. All I have to go on is the Playbook, webos, market share erosion, RIM's preemptive merger/buyout out planning... No Sir, not lookin good. Also, they are likely to lead with an all touch device so they will alienate the base. These guys are the gong show contestants of the business world.
    04-17-12 01:32 PM
    The playbook uses a DUAL Core 1GHz processor while the 9900 uses a SINGLE Core processor Not to mention the playbooks 1 gig of ram vs the 9900s 768mb.

Either way I don't think it even is a hardware thing. Look at the iPad 2: Despite it's low 512 ram and 1Ghz dual core processor it open apps faster than the playbook and just as fast as the iPhone 4/4s despite their screen size differences.

So yeah, it better be way faster than what we see with the playbook if they really want to make an impression.
    I mentioned the fact that the PB has a dual core, but that's really irrelevant to single tasks - a 1.2 GHz single core processor will work faster than a dual core 1GHz processor when performing single tasks. When you combine that with all the other things (older technology - the PB was released months before the 9900, more complex OS and all the other stuff I covered), it's not surprising that the PB is slower than the 9900.

When it comes to multi-tasking, the 9900 and the PB are in two separate worlds. You're not getting the same level or complexisty of multi-tasking on the 9900 that you are on the PB, so saying the one multi-tasks better than the other is not a fair comparison.

Dual core does not make a processor faster than a single core. Depending on the task, a single core processor will operate faster than a slower speed dual core. So maybe it's me who should be rolling their eyes.

As for RAM, it's a small piece of the puzzle - there's always a bottleneck somewhere, and while the PB might have more RAM than the 9900, the lower speed of the processor combined with the more complex QNX OS creates the bottleneck that slows the entire thing down. I have my doubts that adding more RAM to the PB would speed it up much.

You can't really compare the iPad/iPhone combo to the PB/phone combo because the Ipad is running the EXACT SAME OS as the iPhone. Of course it's going to open apps in a similar fashion with similar hardware because they are the exact same apps. That's not the case with the PB when compared to say, the 9900. They don't run the same apps, they don't run the same hardware, they don't run the same OS, so comparin that to the Apple model is like comparing apples to a dumptruck.

In the end, based on the actual hardware and software of the two devices, the 9900 and the PB can't properly be compared to one another. They are far too different from each other (which is not the case with the iPad and iPhone - they're essentially the same device with some obvious differences). The hardware in the PB is not up to par with where it should be/should have been when it was released when looking at what the goal is of the hardware, but it's a good start, and further software updates and patches will be able to push that hardware as far as it can go.

JB
    04-17-12 01:39 PM
    I will NEVER buy an iPhone or iPad!
    04-17-12 01:47 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD