I'm so utterly disappointed in the garbage camera on my 9900. My old 9700 had twice the camera on it, and my 9780 had ten times the camera. I can't believe, though I don't know why because RIM never fails to disappoint, that BlackBerry would consider this at all acceptable. They not only aren't keeping up, but they're actually going in reverse. No autofocus? 5mp that is as clear and good a quality as my moms 1.3mp flip phone, and sadly that's not an exaggeration. Pure tle.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk
    01-25-12 08:09 PM
    Hahahahahahah
    morrsn likes this.
    01-25-12 08:35 PM
    Lol! bad day?
    01-25-12 08:39 PM
    I've been thinking seriously of carrying the 4S when going out, just for the camera, instead of buying a point and shoot camera. Of course, for everything else, there is the 9900.
    01-25-12 08:45 PM
    I am a huge camera user. 9900s camera is not the best and not the worst. I am taking pretty decent photos but when I take something up close, it sucks! When it comes to camera 4s takes some mind blowing photos, better than 12mp cameras!
    01-25-12 09:30 PM
    If you want a great camera buy a canon.
    01-25-12 11:27 PM
    If you want a great camera buy a canon.
    I agree.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-12 11:40 PM
    Another camera thread? Wth
    01-26-12 12:17 AM
    As cool as it would be to have a 20938429308Megapixel camera on my CELLPHONE, I'm fine with having a 5megapixel one lacking autofocus but also having the best keyboard on the entire planet.
    lynawry likes this.
    01-26-12 12:44 AM
    i used my 9930 on vacation and got beautiful pic for my needs.but for close ups i used my 7 megapixel and 10x zoom kodak .
    01-26-12 12:59 AM
    I'm so utterly disappointed in the garbage camera on my 9900. My old 9700 had twice the camera on it, and my 9780 had ten times the camera. I can't believe, though I don't know why because RIM never fails to disappoint, that BlackBerry would consider this at all acceptable. They not only aren't keeping up, but they're actually going in reverse. No autofocus? 5mp that is as clear and good a quality as my moms 1.3mp flip phone, and sadly that's not an exaggeration. Pure tle.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk
    I agree!

its not working for up close...

WHY did they do that?

what are the advantages?
    disadvantages?

very sad...

my 8900 or 9630 and 9650 and many other BBs had awesome camera for upclose...
    01-26-12 01:11 AM
    All of this over some pictures so more people can flood the internet via Facebook and Twitter with pictures of what they thought was fascinating about their day. If cameras on your phones are so important why do you people then not just go buy a phone with the best camera on it? The logic or lack thereof confuses the brain.
    tacocaliente likes this.
    01-26-12 01:21 AM
    ^^^THIS.

However.....I have a friend who is really on the fence about this phone because he actually uses the phone on his camera as a tool. Rather than carry a laptop and a camera, he uses his phone to take quick shots of what he's doing and he needs colours to render correctly. The 9900 camera isn't what it could be, for his needs.

For me, I carry an ultracompact Nikon point and shoot that fits in my purse. For fantastic pictures I have my Nikon dSLR.

The camera on the phone is just for quick shots to share as noted above, not meant to be published on Life magazine.
    01-26-12 03:25 AM
    If you want a great camera buy a nikon.
    Fixed it for you
    01-26-12 04:09 AM
    The camera works fine for me.....I don't need to take a lot of close up pics of text, so I have no problem with the camera. Regular pics turn out fine and even emailing them to myself, I can blow them up as wallpaper and they look great on my desktop. I think the camera (for me) is adequate but maybe some people require more.....but overall the phone is awesome. I had a co-worker who has the same position as me switch to an iPhone 2 days ago (from a Storm1) and he has called me at least 5 times to ask how to do things on his iPhone that he used to be able to do on his BB. Big disappointment for him was he is unable to have groups for messaging in iOS like he had with BB. Also he is finding getting email not as quick and smooth as his BB. Sooooo be careful what you wish for.....hahah
    01-26-12 04:26 AM
    here we go again....
    next time...we can email RIM to make a BB with DSLR camera..
    cheer up now..
    01-26-12 06:20 AM
    I guess some people just have to complain about everything. I can't see how RIM has any customers.

Here's a picture I took with my 9900. I don't think it's that bad.
    01-26-12 06:52 AM
    And this isn't bad for closeup either:

01-26-12 07:38 AM
    I am extremely happy with the camera on my 9900, so much so that it is now my only picture taking device.

I have posted examples of pictures taken with it in another thread.
    01-26-12 07:52 AM
    ^^^THIS.

However.....I have a friend who is really on the fence about this phone because he actually uses the phone on his camera as a tool. Rather than carry a laptop and a camera, he uses his phone to take quick shots of what he's doing and he needs colours to render correctly. The 9900 camera isn't what it could be, for his needs.
    Anyone carrying a camera phone with the expectation that it will have the quality of an actual camera is setting themselves up for failure. Colors render perfectly fine on my 9930 for a smartphone and I have about 3 DSLRs at home that I use when I want to take pictures of quality.
    01-26-12 08:08 AM
    but i thought 9900 was called a "smartphone" @.@...
    it is not called a camera phone @.@....
    01-26-12 08:22 AM
    Why must people moan about the camera when AF is available on other Blackberry's and the iPhone with the super nice camera is available? Do you wanna type on a real keypad or take pictures? Yeeeesssh
    AugustArborists likes this.
    01-26-12 09:54 AM
    Why must people moan about the camera when AF is available on other Blackberry's and the iPhone with the super nice camera is available? Do you wanna type on a real keypad or take pictures? Yeeeesssh
    I have no problem with people wanting the best possible features on the 9900 or any other phone. If you otherwise like the 9900, the fact that the iPhone has a nice camera isn't especially helpful, or even relevant.

I do have a problem with people saying that the 9900 has the "worst camera ever" or that you "can't take closeup photos" with it.

The facts are: You can take decent, though not excellent, closeup photos with the 9900, if you know what you're doing. Whether "decent" is good enough depends on the user's needs. If you need to take a lot of closeup photos of things like jewelry or other small objects, or really tiny text, then I agree that the 9900 won't work out very well. For many other less demanding closeup pictures, it's fine. For regular non-closeup photos, it performs well, and in some circumstances it performs better than an AF camera.

OS 7 has more camera settings than OS 6 had, and it takes some experimentation to find out what works best.
    grover5 likes this.
    01-26-12 10:24 AM
    There are many smartphones today that offer fantastic hardware, cutting edge software and camera's that can compete with stand alone shooters. Can people not buy blackberry and goe to these competiting products? Sure. The problem is, thats exactly what many people are doing.

Understanding this point has been beaten to death, its still represents a failure on RIM's part to make sure that EVERY aspect of the Bold was top notch.

You asked if people want a top notch key board or a great camera? The answer is they want both. And RIM certainly was capable of producing exactly that.
    01-26-12 10:51 AM
    OS 7 has more camera settings than OS 6 had, and it takes some experimentation to find out what works best.
    As to this, a number of folks aren't willing to be patient enough to learn to make adjustments as needed. To quote one forum poster, 'They make it easy enough a trained monkey can use it.'

BlackBerry didn't do that, but neither did they limit choice to one form factor.
    01-26-12 10:53 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD