I've had my 9900 for over a month now and I've had no problems with it at all, I've always let the battery run down before charging it and I've never charged it over night (I've never done this with any phones because I've heard over charging phones can cause them to break etc..)

However this morning I woke up to see that my 9900 wouldn't turn on, even though it had over half battery when I looked at it late last night. So I plugged it in to the wall charger to see the red LED light up for about 5 seconds before going off again (just as it does when you do a battery pull), only it wouldn't switch on at all after hours of leaving the charger plugged in. I tried doing a manual battery pull etc, but nothing..

My question is, if its not charging it overnight thats making our 9900/9930s brick then what is? And why over night?

Orange are sending me a new one, even though I'm not insured which says to me that its an unfixable fault by BlackBerry so they have no choice but to replace my handset. But I'm scared of this happening again, I did everything right the first time round yet it still resulted in a bricked BB. I love BlackBerry but if it happens again I'll be tempted to move away..

Before this happened I installed the latest OS7 about a week ago and my battery drained down to the point of 'no radio use' a couple of days ago.. Could these be the cause?
    12-04-11 11:34 AM
    I doubt it. Many people have done those things with no ill effect. There must have been a bad batch of hardware. It happens.
    12-04-11 12:05 PM
    Draining the battery up to the point that the radio is turned off because there is not enough power left is not the reason for the bricking issue. I had mine not only turn the radio off several times but it completely shut down the phone because of complete battery drain. I did that intentionally as a way of power cycling the battery to improve battery life. I don't know if I was doing it right.

However, my phone has not bricked yet, knock on wood. It's been three months now and I am very satisfied with my phone, although I wish I could get more from my battery.

What OS are you on now? I read some posts that .540 solved their bricking/nuking issue.
    12-04-11 12:09 PM
    I got my 9930 last Monday and a few times having a full charge and the alarm set the phone is dead by the morning. Plus the battery maybe lasts 5 hours with hardly any use.
    Love the phone hate the battery life!
    12-28-11 08:28 PM
    Hey kittyeatlayke,

And to everyone else, read this post on li-ion batteries that someone else already posted. Not trying to be a a$$, just wanna help out. Maybe you're under charging it?

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...attery-623427/
    12-28-11 10:33 PM
    I got my 9930 last Monday and a few times having a full charge and the alarm set the phone is dead by the morning. Plus the battery maybe lasts 5 hours with hardly any use.
    Love the phone hate the battery life!
    Either you're in a very marginal signal area, or there is something terribly wrong with your phone. I have a 9930 running 7.1 and I get over a day and a half of use out of it without having to plug it in. This includes lots of email, texting, and web browsing. I can get almost 5 hours of battery life streaming iheartradio on 1X while roaming. You should try reinstalling your OS or asking your carrier for a replacement unit.
    12-28-11 11:45 PM
    I think this is the right time when RIM should come and acknowledge their fault.
    this is a hardware fault.
    this can happen to any one.
    No 99xx is safe. it's just luck. if not today may be tomorrow.
    12-29-11 07:13 AM
    Yeah, I'm starting to think it is hardware too, maybe a bad batch somewhere along the line. If it were a software issue then everybody would have the same problem and RIM would have released a patch by now.

I just hope it doesn't happen to me even though I have a full warranty for the duration of my contract.
    12-29-11 08:47 AM
    I am thinking it MUST be hardware!

RIM has, for sure, got thousands of these bricked 9900 units back and know all too well what is wrong. If it were just software, they would have fixed it by now. They are likely trying to make up new software to go around the faulty hardware.
    12-29-11 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD