I've owned countless BB's going back years, and the 9900 is the worst by far. Garbage battery life, dodgy OS, pathetic apps availability, awful build quality and a total disappointment. Nice knowing you BB but it's time to say goodbye.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-11 11:06 AM
    11-08-11 11:17 AM
    I've owned more BB's than you going back over the years (countless x 3?), and I think the BlackBerry Bold 9900 is the BEST BlackBerry by far.

Amazing keyboard, feels great, looks great. It's luxurious. It's fast. Has a nice display. Combines touchscreen with keyboard which makes the BlackBerry experience better. The **critical** apps I need are there, and I use this baby primarily for communication which it excels at (I own a PlayBook and iPad for killing time apps).

Battery life for me has been fine - key is to use WiFi when you can (low coverage areas eat it). I've only been caught a couple times dead at the end of the day.

Always want more apps and battery life, but it's still by far the best BlackBerry. Sometimes I even catch myself staring at it. It's beautiful.

Arguably the 9780 is a more reliable, well-rounded device (in terms of battery life, os stability, app availability), but to me that doesn't make it better. I tried going back from 9900 to my 9780 and now the 9360 and I just can't. Tight keyboards and lack of touch cripple them (and they're not nearly as hawt).
    11-08-11 11:17 AM
    Hope you find a phone you are happy with. I for one have never been happier with a BB device. (Just wish Rogers would hurry up and get UMA in the next build and release an update)
    11-08-11 11:23 AM
    I've owned more BB's than you going back over the years (countless x 3?), and I think the BlackBerry Bold 9900 is the BEST BlackBerry by far.

Amazing keyboard, feels great, looks great. It's luxurious. It's fast. Has a nice display. Combines touchscreen with keyboard which makes the BlackBerry experience better.
    I can't help thinking it would be better if they had made it a bit thicker and put in a bigger battery and a better camera.

The keyboard is amazing though.
    11-08-11 11:28 AM

Amazing keyboard, feels great, looks great. It's luxurious. It's fast. Has a nice display. Combines touchscreen with keyboard which makes the BlackBerry experience better. The **critical** apps I need are there, and I use this baby primarily for communication which it excels at (I own a PlayBook and iPad for killing time apps).

Battery life for me has been fine - key is to use WiFi when you can (low coverage areas eat it). I've only been caught a couple times dead at the end of the day.

Always want more apps and battery life, but it's still by far the best BlackBerry. Sometimes I even catch myself staring at it. It's beautiful.
    Agreed!! By far the best BB I've owned and i've had about 6 of them. Just replaced my 9810 with the 9900 and its amazing!!!
    11-08-11 11:29 AM
    I've owned countless BB's going back years, and the 9900 is the worst by far. Garbage battery life, dodgy OS, pathetic apps availability, awful build quality and a total disappointment. Nice knowing you BB but it's time to say goodbye.

First off, BB is not for everyone.

Second, I can understand all of your criticisms (at least looking at the competition -- BB isn't for everyone) except for the one about build quality. The 9900 seems to be far from lacking in quality, unless perhaps you got a faulty unit, in which case you're just lazy for not returning it. All things considered, the 9900 is a superior device, AT LEAST in terms of Blackberries. When battery life, OS, and apps are not a problem for everyone, it stands up to the best phones out there.

Just so you know, it's more than just Blackberries that have issues. I just hope that after you jump ship, you're not over on one of the other mobilenations forums ******** about your new phone (I imagine thread title: IP4S BATTERY LIFE IS TERRIBLE IPOHNE SUCKS)... technology always comes with the risk of malfunction... have fun on your new platform...
    11-08-11 11:40 AM
    I can't help thinking it would be better if they had made it a bit thicker and put in a bigger battery and a better camera.

The keyboard is amazing though.
    Yeah, that's a good point... the lack of autofocus does suck. I was hoping it wouldn't impact me, but it has... it could probably be just a little thicker and still be equally awesome.
    galleon likes this.
    11-08-11 11:45 AM
    First off, BB is not for everyone.

Second, I can understand all of your criticisms (at least looking at the competition -- BB isn't for everyone) except for the one about build quality. The 9900 seems to be far from lacking in quality, unless perhaps you got a faulty unit, in which case you're just lazy for not returning it. All things considered, the 9900 is a superior device, AT LEAST in terms of Blackberries. When battery life, OS, and apps are not a problem for everyone, it stands up to the best phones out there.

Just so you know, it's more than just Blackberries that have issues. I just hope that after you jump ship, you're not over on one of the other mobilenations forums ******** about your new phone (I imagine thread title: IP4S BATTERY LIFE IS TERRIBLE IPOHNE SUCKS)... technology always comes with the risk of malfunction... have fun on your new platform...
    The answer to how Apple always ends up in the discussions on a BB forum! Exhibit A
    11-08-11 11:49 AM
    Yeah, that's a good point... the lack of autofocus does suck. I was hoping it wouldn't impact me, but it has... it could probably be just a little thicker and still be equally awesome.
    +1

In that same notion, I wouldn't have been opposed to a higher capacity battery either...
    11-08-11 11:55 AM
    Compared to the 9000 I was using, this thing is night and day!

Good luck, OP with whatever device you choose.
    11-08-11 11:58 AM
    The answer to how Apple always ends up in the discussions on a BB forum! Exhibit A
    No. **** that. My statement holds true for any technology manufacturer. I was simply pointing out that there is always a risk of poor build quality (which includes battery life and so on)... Exhibit A will not be submitted as evidence and shall be stricken from the record. Thank you.
    11-08-11 12:04 PM

LOL, nutter !!
    11-08-11 12:08 PM
    I'll agree with you on battery life. It is sucked dry every day by 3pm. Camera also sucks but overall I'm very pleased with mine. It is leaps and bounds better than the 9650.
    11-08-11 12:11 PM
    I am loving my blackberry. I've updated it .440 and its been fantastic. The battery life has been great. I'm not at all worried about the camera on this phone as I'm fine without the auto focus. There has been a couple occassions that I wish I can use it on the phone however, I've been carrying my camera with me everywhere as I usually do and it hasn't impacted me too much.

Granted this is my first blackberry but with touch screen and qwerty keyboard a dream to use it maybe the only blackberry for me. With the fast processor and the apps I want I am loving it. Especially the free apps I'm receiving from RIM. To be honest unless something else spectaular comes out I think I'm going to keep this phone for a long time now.

11-08-11 12:19 PM
    funny how kevin sticks up for the bold when its nuked twice on him.
    11-08-11 12:34 PM
    HI kEV

sORRY TO say i made mistake of chaning fom 9700 to 9900, out look exchange mail server is not supporting with 9900. local service provider said helpless, i am stuck because i signed contract for one year service package

11-08-11 12:36 PM
    In his defense, most of his points of pride were on it's appearance....

11-08-11 12:38 PM
    Keep an extra cord/charger at the office! (especially the PlayBook's higher capacity one!)
    11-08-11 12:44 PM
    Kevin was pretty fired up about his 9900 bricking when he talked about it on the Podcast.

I think it is a great looking BlackBerry, great specs and it has made me take another look at RIM.

But I won't get that device until the bricking issue is fixed on the 9900 and 9930. I already went through that crap with my 9630. Too frustrating.

That's why i went Android. Good luck with your new device OP. I found out that the grass isn't always greener. My needs in a smartphone have Also changed so I'm going back to Black.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 11-08-11 at 01:58 PM.
    11-08-11 12:49 PM
    Dear RIM,

1. I hate OS 7, because most of my (partly german) OS 5 Apps are no more available for OS 7 (StarFinanz S-Banking, Addidas miCoach, Lufthansa Airline, eBay, "Forward Reply and Edit", HRS Hotel Booking, "Tagesschau" News, ZDNet News, ....). Can you imagine: A Smartphone without any Online-Banking App (in Germany)? A No-go. No-go. No-go.

2. I hate the camera, because it has no Autofocus. It is impossible to shoot a sharp photo of text with the Bold 9900. And I used to use my Bold 9700 camera very often to shoot text as a reminder. The Bold 9900 Camera: A No-Go.

3. I hate the battery life (OS v7.0.0.296 by Vodafone Germany). If I had wanted a battery which lasts only one day I would have bought an iPhone.

So, the Bold 9900 seems to be my last BlackBerry. But this a pity, because:

1. I love the keyboard.

2. I love the touch-screen and the touch-pad.

3. I love the ultra-fast and tight integration with our Microsoft Exchange Server via our BlackBerry Enterprise Express Server (BESX).

4. I love the small data amount the BlackBerry Servers deliver.

I don't wan't Android and iOS in my company. I will wait and observe the Windows Phone evolution until mid 2012 and than dear, beloved, RIM, we will have to decide ...

Yours sincerely,
    R.
    11-08-11 01:15 PM
    Easily the best device I've ever carried. My battery lasts through the day. Sometimes I don't charge it overnight (though I will need to charge it later the next morning). It is almost-but-not-quite comparable in battery life to my 9700, which was a device with half the processing power, 1/3 the RAM, no dedicated GPU, no wifi N, no touch screen, and a larger battery. I think RIM did pretty damned well with the 99s.

I will not dispute that MANY have had defective batteries that needed replacing, and some faulty devices as well. Early OS power management was sub-par, but has improved. No manufacturing run is perfect, and this one has some QC problems, for sure. When the 99 is working as intended, as mine is, it's amazing. I hope everyone experiencing problems with theirs gets the chance to appreciate what it's really capable of.
    11-08-11 01:16 PM

LOL Let me hear about your next phone that your HAPPY with! Battery life for one is hard to come by in a smart phone. I am a lot better off then my friends with their Iphones and Androids there. Build quality? How can you have had previous BB? This one sure beats any iv ever seen previously. Sure the keyboard is clickety clackety but that doesn't mean its poor quality.

However I'm with you on the Apps, but here's the deal. I didn't buy my 9900 for apps. I bought it for a superb and high quality phone and messaging device that does what I want it to RIGHT NOW (not after I scroll around on my animated water background go thru countless icons and poke around on a touch screen like my buddy ) And I couldn't be happier...

O and I should mention, mine has never bricked on me (I must be lucky?) And my battery lasts over 24hours. But that's using it for phone and messaging not playing games and the like.
    Last edited by galleon; 11-08-11 at 01:35 PM.
    11-08-11 01:31 PM
    wow, reading all the posts and threads throughout this forum has me thanking my lucky stars with regards to battery life? i've owned curves, bolds and now even on my torch 9860 the battery life is excellent, no complaints at all and I consider myself a med to heavy user!
    11-08-11 01:36 PM
    wow, reading all the posts and threads throughout this forum has me thanking my lucky stars with regards to battery life? i've owned curves, bolds and now even on my torch 9860 the battery life is excellent, no complaints at all and I consider myself a med to heavy user!
    To be fair...I would consider myself a medium user as well and always do a full charge with my phones at night. Was at 55% last night when I plugged it in.

Either everyone else is on their phones 22 hours a day or YMMV with battery consumption.
    11-08-11 01:43 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD