Does anybody notice any difference using wireless N router vs G ?
    Does N uses battery more?
    09-05-11 11:25 AM
    Well lets see here, Wireless 802.11G supports up to 54Mbps and 802.11N supports up to 100Mbps, so clearly N is faster, I haven't used it on my phone yet so I cant say if I notice a difference or not however I do notice a difference when transferring files from one computer to another using a wifi network. Wireless N is supposed to utilize more than one radio unlike the other standards A,B and G. So theoretically N should consume more power. If this helped click the Thanks button to spread the love!
    rafiks likes this.
    09-05-11 12:21 PM
    I only use G on mine since I have my router (E4200) set to use 2.4GHz for G and 5GHz for A/N. Using 2.4GHz for G/N gives crappy performance due to using all the different standards so I reserve the 5GHz band for high-performance devices (gaming, streaming, etc).

2.4GHz also has about 25-50% more range at my house. Should require less power than 5GHz too. This is one of the reasons that Verizon's 700MHz LTE is great (because lower frequencies travel farther and require less power). Only reason power consumption is high on current LTE devices is because the chipsets aren't optimized yet.

N supports speeds up to 450mbps, but that is with 3x3 MIMO. IDK how many WiFi Antennas the 9930 has for each radio frequency but I don't think it would have anything more than 1x1.
    rafiks likes this.
    09-05-11 01:12 PM
    Well I have two routers here. One is G only and the Other is G/N. I only use the N mode on the dual mode router. I would think N uses more batt ,so I am sticking with G for now.
    09-06-11 07:48 AM
    Unless you have internet speeds above around 27mbps g is plenty fast for internet where the speed comes into play is in your home network.
    09-06-11 08:30 AM
    as you cant wirelessly sync files, N or G wont make much of a difference. As stated above, unless youve got faster then27mbps internet.

I find i get a slightly better signal using N over G as ive alot of other 2.4ghz devices in my house (multiple home phones, wireless senders, vodafone sure signal ect..) so i guess i must just get a slight conflict in signal.

Some dual channel routers you cant manually connect to individual channels, it just changes if need be if theres noise ect. but my netgear i can choose which i connect to, so for arguments sake i keep my devices connected to the 5ghz channel
    09-06-11 02:30 PM
    both are same
    09-06-11 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD