Hey guys, I am thinking of getting the 9900.

I understand the new OS update for the 9900 brings with it wifi hotspot functionality, however, I need to know if I'll be able to set up a wireless hotspot without BIS. Is that possible? I have a data plan with 12gb of data but no BIS and I can terminate this line for a while. I'd like to make use of the 12 gb of data but I'm not willing to subscribe to BIS because I already have another line which has BIS included.

Long story short: is it possible to set up a wifi hotspot with no BIS and just plain data?

Thank you berry berry much! :P
    02-03-12 09:07 AM
    This depends on your network. SK Telecom, for example, does not require BIS to use data on a berry. They actually charge data and BIS separately and each customer can op out on demand.

When I tether via USB I actually lose BIS service but can still get data (in my case losing BIS is actually beneficial as I get faster internet speeds when it happens).

Remember without BIS you won't be able to:
    1. get push email
    2. BBM
    3. Internet via web browser

without BIS but with data you can still
    1. browse the web with Opera or Bolt
    2. get messages pushed (i.e. Kakaotalk, maybe Whatsapp)
    3. tether via USB

I am waiting for an official OS7.1 release from SK Telecom. Keep this post alive and i will update it after I try out hotspot without BIS.

Until then I will assume that it will work
    02-03-12 10:20 AM
    Can anyone verify if hotspot works without BIS?
    05-26-12 07:12 PM
    I wouldnt know. However the Tether application (3rd party) is getting a mobile hotspot feature soon. Tether Is Up To Something
    05-26-12 07:14 PM
    I am waiting for an official OS7.1 release from SK Telecom.
    If I'm not mistaken SK Telecom released 7.1 long ago...
    05-26-12 07:14 PM
    Im very curious about this...
    05-18-14 04:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD