Hey guys

I just wanted to confirm this i got my bb9900 out of the box, did a device transfer and installed .440 via Desktop software, currently doing nothing on the phone (ie. in the pouch i get a 9-10% discharge rate, and this isnt even with plenty bbm's or emails!) is this normal for .440 ? because i see others getting a 2%-5% rate ?

Does doing a complete wipe make a change ? im willing to do so if it does, thanks guys
    10-17-11 11:19 AM
    try a battery full reset.

Use it until dead. Don't charge it. Wait 1-5hours. Do a full charge. Use until dead. Don't charge it right away, wait again 1 hr this time. Repeat 3-5x and your battery should be fixed.
    10-17-11 12:17 PM
    In general it's not the best idea to use device transfer. I would wipe and re-load the OS. Make a backup 1st and use the selective restore to get your emails, contact and other basic features (don't restore any settings or options). Try the battery out for a few days to get a baseline before you start adding 3rd party apps.
    10-17-11 12:29 PM
    try a battery full reset.

Use it until dead. Don't charge it. Wait 1-5hours. Do a full charge. Use until dead. Don't charge it right away, wait again 1 hr this time. Repeat 3-5x and your battery should be fixed.
    Bad advice

You should never fully drain a Li-Ion battery!
    10-17-11 02:44 PM
    Bad advice

You should never fully drain a Li-Ion battery!

Very true indeed, if you do so the battery will take ages before the charger would be able to get it back on charge, that is why BB wont let you use the last 8% of battery to make a call unless you place an emergency call first (work around) and then digit the numbers normally.
    Don't do it do unless you really need to place a call
    10-17-11 08:59 PM
    Hey guys

I just wanted to confirm this i got my bb9900 out of the box, did a device transfer and installed .440 via Desktop software, currently doing nothing on the phone (ie. in the pouch i get a 9-10% discharge rate, and this isnt even with plenty bbm's or emails!) is this normal for .440 ? because i see others getting a 2%-5% rate ?

Does doing a complete wipe make a change ? im willing to do so if it does, thanks guys
    A full wipe is raccomended only because it is a more secure way to make sure that every COD from your device gets deleted before the new entries get in. Someone though is convinced that it is just a myth considering the automatical wipe of App Loader.

I personally wipe, I feel more confortable doing so like when I type on a proper keyboard rather then tapping on a glass

Regarding the data transfear: that is absoultely unraccomended especiallly if you are jumping from an OS 6 device onto a OS 7 one.

Do a selective backup with only basic things on it previous the info above.

enjoy
    10-17-11 09:20 PM
    In general it's not the best idea to use device transfer. I would wipe and re-load the OS. Make a backup 1st and use the selective restore to get your emails, contact and other basic features (don't restore any settings or options). Try the battery out for a few days to get a baseline before you start adding 3rd party apps.
    I agree with your idea on device transfer, but completely disagree on making your new phone useless to get a 'baseline'. You need to load your normal apps and use it in your normal way to see what it can do for you. This is the only true baseline, and most BlackBerry folks who use their device to get work done could never go 3 days without their core apps. Heck, even outside of those apps there's no way anyone is going to get me to give up TuneIn Radio, because a true baseline for me includes using that app.
    10-17-11 09:34 PM
    I agree ... I had terrible battery life on my 9900 the first couple of days (BES did a full restore based on my 9780 config). I did a wipe, recreated my BES account, and battery life improved significantly
    10-18-11 05:09 AM
    I did a wipe out of the box, put on .353 then did it again when .440 appeared, battery life is just about a day with heavy use.

I did a restore with settings from my 9700, doesnt appear to have done too much damage to battery life.
    10-18-11 05:21 AM
    I agree with your idea on device transfer, but completely disagree on making your new phone useless to get a 'baseline'. You need to load your normal apps and use it in your normal way to see what it can do for you. This is the only true baseline, and most BlackBerry folks who use their device to get work done could never go 3 days without their core apps. Heck, even outside of those apps there's no way anyone is going to get me to give up TuneIn Radio, because a true baseline for me includes using that app.

Each their own, but I've seen various apps causing battery drain. The only way to know if bad battery life is caused by the OS, hardware (not likely), or 3rd party app is to get a baseline. Otherwise you'll be complaining that you battery is defective like many around here when it's really not.

It's unfortunately all part of life with a BlackBerry
    10-18-11 08:32 AM
    Guys come on!! Even if you do a wipe or not, or even whatever else you do; if the battery performance is bad enough, its not possible to improve it at all! The one and only thing is to change the battery and pray for that battery to have a better performance. All the other things are waist of time.. Except that, you can also pray for a better OS version.. cause this is the only thing which may differ in the performances of the battery lifes according to the personal usage of the device.
    10-18-11 09:07 AM
    Guys come on!! Even if you do a wipe or not, or even whatever else you do; if the battery performance is bad enough, its not possible to improve it at all! The one and only thing is to change the battery and pray for that battery to have a better performance. All the other things are waist of time.. Except that, you can also pray for a better OS version.. cause this is the only thing which may differ in the performances of the battery lifes according to the personal usage of the device.

That is simply not correct. You can easily install a poorly coded app or one that is not optimized for the OS that when running will drain the battery. I've seen it happen on various BBs many times.
    10-18-11 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD