Some of us might like the process of setting up a new device from scratch. Know I will enjoy getting used to the keyboard my manually typing in all my contacts
    I hear you on that, however the keyboard will basically be the same. The TOUCHSCREEN factor w/the keyboard, on the other hand...I understand where you're coming from. Good point!
    05-13-11 11:08 AM
    I always just copy over my contacts and calendar, apps/themes get installed freshly and with it being os7 i have a feeling it will take a while for those to come through
    05-13-11 11:17 AM
    FRESH! Between my hundreds of duplicate calendar entries, and around 30 duplicate contacts, only going to transfer certain contacts and bbm list. Everything else will be brand new.
    05-13-11 11:59 AM
    Keeping all contacts, some notepad stuff and passwords. All else fresh.

Of course, everything on my media card also comes along
    05-13-11 02:58 PM
    Transfer all...
    05-13-11 07:36 PM
    copy everything over and than get upset because certain apps are not supported on the new device....
    05-13-11 07:42 PM
    most of the time the at&t reps do the transfer of contacts while in store.but for the the rest, you can transfer it by yourself.
    05-13-11 10:43 PM
    New phone= New start keep the contacts

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-11 01:44 AM
    You should be able to transfer data (email, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, etc.). For the most part they are transferable from OS to OS -- RIM is usually pretty good at that kind of compatibility, at least within its own app data. Apps are a different story; how many and which apps can be ported will depend on just how much has changed in OS7 from its predecessors.
    Thank you my friend. That will solve my problem. I don't want to transfer / backup my apps but I would be happy if I could transfer my main data as you mentioned.

Thanks.
    05-14-11 02:52 AM
    The only thing I'm gonna restore is my password keeper ( I've been building that database forever) got all my stuff in there. as far as everything else goes-- most of it probably won't even be compatible. We're just gonna have a bunch of guys here whining about "uncaught exceptions" and "fatal errors" and bla bla. So guys, save us all the headaches and start fresh. lol :-)

05-14-11 08:10 AM
    I am usually a fan of copying all and then weeding out what doesn't work or what I need a new version for.

Most important for me is contacts and the like. So I will probably just restore my .IPD backup/do a DSW and then work the apps/launchers one by one.

05-14-11 08:52 AM
    Good question, I normally start from scratch. New phone, new everything else. My upgrade is in July, but since I purchased the 32gb playbook the touch screen isn't a priorty anymore. However the processor speed is and I think I'm going to wait until sometime in Dec to upgrade
    05-14-11 09:05 AM
    I currently have a sim only contract in the UK

900 minutes, unlimited texts, 1gb data, BB services for �15.

I can't upgrade on it without increasing to at least �40 a month so I plan to just get a new contract/second phone.

Old phone - Unimportant people/hos
    New phone - Important people.
    05-14-11 12:44 PM
    Fresh start here. It gave me the opportunity with the last one to really dig deep and learn a lot. Besides I too am concerned with compatibility issues.

05-15-11 04:54 PM
    Except for contacts and moving over my SD card unless I get a bigger capacity card everything will be new since there will not be that many apps that I am using now that will be compatible with OS 7.
    05-15-11 05:05 PM
    Other than transferring my contacts and SD card, I would start out fresh as well. I can't wait! Been years since a new phone that I will have for myself .
    05-15-11 05:43 PM
    I'll be transferring all of my data over to my 9900 from my 9780, just like every other time I switch BlackBerrys. No-brainer there.
    05-17-11 11:19 AM
    I definitely need all of my contacts, emails, etc. Can't afford to start fresh with all the info i currently have in my 9650...
    05-18-11 10:22 AM
    I've transferred the data from my pearl, 8820, 9000, and 9800. Its worked in the past so I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

05-18-11 05:38 PM
    Every time I get a piece of new tech I always start from scratch, don't know why.
    05-18-11 05:53 PM
    Complete device transfer for me. RIM knows what's involved and I have always found it painless. Have some apps (on the Torch for example) that don't work on the 9700.

So they don't work and get deleted. So what? But everything else, my emails, contacts, autotext (good point that man!), BBM contacts and chats, remaining apps all transfer seamlessly and your new device is instantly like your old friend.
    05-19-11 10:13 AM
    I am copying all of my audio and video files to the cloud (Amazon) right now.....then I will move my pictures to that as well once I parse out the ones I do not need....or possibly keep them on the cloud and save file space on the phone. Apps will come from my previous Blackberry (Torch) if they will work. So clean slate, cloud-based...easy living. I will use DM but not for music/video. That's all cloud-based storage. Keeping it clean and in ONE place.
    05-19-11 12:11 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD