I was wondering peeps, will you be starting your new Bold 9900 fresh or will you copy everything? (i.e. use DM's switch)?

Obviously, with a "fresh" start, I would assume you will keep the contacts.

I sometimes think it is better to start fresh but I would want to keep my history available. So most probably I will do a device switch.
    05-12-11 09:27 AM
    I even start a fresh with my contacts. allows me to cut out the numbers I never use =) a new phone a new start!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-11 09:58 AM
    I don't plan to get this phone but if I were I would start fresh, for the most part. I would transfer over my contacts and also some media (i.e. songs, pictures,). Otherwise I would start fresh. Most of my current apps most likely wouldn't work on this new phone.
    05-12-11 09:59 AM
    most definitely a fresh start....
    I'm not a huge fan of migrating old data from previous devices. I have been burned a few times, and even if there are no issues with the actual migration, I will always have it at the back of my head should new issues arise...
    05-12-11 10:00 AM
    100% fresh. Not going to try device switching an OS 5 9550 to OS 7. Sounds like a recipe for disaster
    05-12-11 10:14 AM
    Really guys? Wouldn't you want the luxury of seeing all your emails? lol I didn't expect that response, but I guess I am more persuaded to start fresh!
    05-12-11 10:33 AM
    I'd start fresh, like the other poster said, phone numbers and data on the old phone I wouldn't need on the 9930...and I have my pics and music on a flash drive and I'll just transer over thru my PC desktop BlackBerry OS7. When the ones of us acutally getting the Bold 9900/9930 will you be getting it at your carriers? Or shipped online? I'm gonna pick up mine at Wireless Giant's BlackBerry store in Farmington Hills, MI. I'd love to just to be able an unbox it brand new, but of course, they need the device opened to activate it

05-12-11 10:52 AM
    Really guys? Wouldn't you want the luxury of seeing all your emails? lol I didn't expect that response, but I guess I am more persuaded to start fresh!
    I can see my old emails on the computer, what is the advantage of wasting space with old ****.
    05-12-11 11:00 AM
    I will transfer my contacts, BBM contacts and emails. Then I will re-download all the apps using my BlackBerry ID.

Most of my current apps works with OS6 on 9700 and OS7 is actually 6.1. The only concern I have is that I downloaded apps from other websites. I hope the app developers update my PIN instead of asking me to buy these app again just because I change my device.

05-12-11 11:04 AM
    Fresh for me

05-12-11 01:29 PM
    I only have apps installed that I use -- stuff that doesn't get used gets trashed. Ditto for contacts and web favorites. I'll be copying over everything that's compatible.
    05-12-11 02:39 PM
    Highly recommend a minimal transfer... Doing a complete transfer on a whole new OS tends to have problems.
    05-12-11 02:49 PM
    not sure if anyone else is a prolific user of the autotext or word replacement feature, but I have a rather large library of word replacements so I'll definitely be transferring those over
    05-12-11 03:22 PM
    I wouldnt start afresh i would copy my Contacts ONLY or maybe NO
    05-12-11 08:56 PM
    I will be starting fresh! Can't wait.

05-12-11 09:32 PM
    I may port some pic's over...never had a problem with that before.

I honestly dont keep emails but for a couple days and all of it is on my yahoo accounts on computer, which is my important email...my other emails I just delete.

I will also port over BBM contacts as well as regular contacts. I have too many to start over fresh with that. The rest I will start over.
    05-12-11 11:17 PM
    Contacts and Notepad stay.
    And password keeper.

05-12-11 11:20 PM
    Well... friends, I have a query. It might sound off topic here but I want to know...

Can I transfer all of my 5.0 OS data and load it on 6.0 /7.0 OS models and vice-a-versa ?? I�m going to keep my 8520 as a backup device when I will get Bold Touch

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by nfsw; 05-13-11 at 05:45 AM.
    05-13-11 05:42 AM
    Im starting fresh.
    05-13-11 05:59 AM
    Well... friends, I have a query. It might sound off topic here but I want to know...

Can I transfer all of my 5.0 OS data and load it on 6.0 /7.0 OS models and vice-a-versa ?? I�m going to keep my 8520 as a backup device when I will get Bold Touch

Thanks in advance.
    I am not sure but I doubt OS5 applications are supported by OS7...
    05-13-11 08:39 AM
    Just a selective restore with contacts, calendar, text messages and browser bookmarks
    05-13-11 09:10 AM
    I will be starting fresh. Just transfering contacts and then some pictures. After that it is all new!
    05-13-11 09:48 AM

Thanks in advance.
    You should be able to transfer data (email, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, etc.). For the most part they are transferable from OS to OS -- RIM is usually pretty good at that kind of compatibility, at least within its own app data. Apps are a different story; how many and which apps can be ported will depend on just how much has changed in OS7 from its predecessors.
    nfsw likes this.
    05-13-11 10:29 AM
    A device switch where one selectively transfers information would likely make the most sense in the MAJORITY of cases. GENERALLY speaking, why would people start fresh? Just because one gets a new phone does not mean that they've got a new life, w/new contacts, new preferences, etc.
    05-13-11 10:40 AM
    A device switch where one selectively transfers information would likely make the most sense in the MAJORITY of cases. GENERALLY speaking, why would people start fresh? Just because one gets a new phone does not mean that they've got a new life, w/new contacts, new preferences, etc.
    Some of us might like the process of setting up a new device from scratch. Know I will enjoy getting used to the keyboard my manually typing in all my contacts
    05-13-11 11:02 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD