I like everything about this upcoming bold9900.....but one thing is really bugging me whether to get this baby right away or wait for non-touch screen version. I do not know if RIM cares about ppl like me who hate touch screen. Or RIM can come up with some sort of apps or button which let users to disable touch screen....that'll be great!!
    05-17-11 02:58 AM
    I'm pretty the phone is 100% functional without ever touching the screen. The touch screen is there to enhance user experience and functionality.

Or are you afraid of pressing things by accident?
    05-17-11 03:21 AM
    you not obliged to use the touchscreen. the phone still has the trackpad for those who do not wish to use the touchscreen. for me the touchscreen will only be used when selecting things. using the trackpad to scroll to the relevant icon takes too long.
    05-17-11 04:56 AM
    Sometimes I like to type while laying on my back in bed. I've never used a Bold style phone before. Do you guys think typing while laying on your back could be cumbersome if you're trying to avoid accidently touching the screen?

Also, I've experienced a few near misses from dropping my iPhone when typing while laying on my back even though I had it in landscape mode. I wouldn't even attempt typing in portiat becuase that would just be asking for a face drop.
    Last edited by blue81to; 05-17-11 at 06:43 AM.
    05-17-11 06:37 AM
    If you're typing your fingers aren't near the screen so...............
    05-17-11 06:59 AM
    If you don't want a touch screen display I suggest waiting for the new Curve model (Apollo/Sedona) that is reported to come out later in the year.
    05-17-11 09:29 AM
    Sometimes I like to type while laying on my back in bed. I've never used a Bold style phone before. Do you guys think typing while laying on your back could be cumbersome if you're trying to avoid accidently touching the screen?

Also, I've experienced a few near misses from dropping my iPhone when typing while laying on my back even though I had it in landscape mode. I wouldn't even attempt typing in portiat becuase that would just be asking for a face drop.
    Just to let you know that BB Bold 9900/9930 will NOT have a touch screen keyboard. You have (you must) use the physical keyboard to enter things. The touch screen on the 9900/9930 is only for opening/closing apps, zooming and for other functions that will be integrated by app developers in the future(such as games based on the touch screen).

For your question... it is a personal preference. I like physical keyboard of BlackBerry because I found that I type really slow on iPod touch and even on my brother's iPhone4. So, it is a personal thing... Some people will hate physical keyboards, but I really need that physical feeling of a keyboard to type fast. So, for me, Bold 9900/9930 is better on any type of typing.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 05-17-11 at 04:22 PM.
    05-17-11 04:19 PM
    Don't know why people want a non touch screen, if you don't like it, don't use it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    vrs626 likes this.
    05-17-11 05:27 PM
    There is virtually no reason this would happen... none (not on the same phone at least)...

Why would you waste money mass manufacturing 2 different models with 2 different screen parts for a micro fraction user base that refuses to buy a touch screen device when they could just buy a touch screen device and opt not to use the touchscreen?
    05-17-11 05:33 PM
    No they wont be a non touch version

If you dont like the touch screen dont use it or dont buy it
    05-17-11 05:33 PM
    I hate touch screens too but am super excited for this phone! I also hate the trackpad and would prefer the trackball. Probably not many of us left! lol.
    I am looking for ward to this phone because instead of having to try and scroll over 1 or 2 icons, I can just touch it and it saves me the headached of scrolling over it one way, and back the other! Its gonna make the blackberry experience improve so much more in my opinion.
    I am also a former 9000 owner and it was like taking candy from a baby to ge tthat thing away from me and move to the smaller 9700!
    Thank you RIM!!! Finally!
    05-17-11 06:24 PM
    No they wont be a non touch version

If you dont like the touch screen dont use it or dont buy it
    Rightly said.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-11 10:23 PM
    I believe they won't make a non-touchscreen. Who knows though, you may be right, someone may make a third-party app to turn off the touch feature. It's a possibility. I don't personally like touch-screens because touch-screen keyboards are terrible to me. If you are a previous Bold owner, and have never had the privilege of owning the Bold 9000, you are in for a treat. It is the same keyboard as the original Bold, which is the best keyboard, but better. So I can't wait. You shouldn't be disappointed.
    05-17-11 11:02 PM
    I find it funny when BB users complain that they don't like or want touch screens. Like a last line of reasoning why BB is still better, because most don't have touch screens. Like buying a car and asking if they can make one without cruise control. BB fanatic resisting any technology that exists on other platforms because it must be bad. Wait, the iphone has a touchscreen? Then I don't want one! WAH

I'm really excited for this Bold to come out - I've been on a Droid Pro since it came out in Oct/Nov(?) and the touchscreen on top with the physical portrait keyboard is the best form factor I've ever used.
    dooodads likes this.
    05-18-11 09:14 AM
    Yes, there will be a non touch version. I belive its called the Bold 9000. Its really cheap right now too on ebay.
    05-18-11 09:23 AM
    I find it funny when BB users complain that they don't like or want touch screens. Like a last line of reasoning why BB is still better, because most don't have touch screens. Like buying a car and asking if they can make one without cruise control. BB fanatic resisting any technology that exists on other platforms because it must be bad. Wait, the iphone has a touchscreen? Then I don't want one! WAH

I'm really excited for this Bold to come out - I've been on a Droid Pro since it came out in Oct/Nov(?) and the touchscreen on top with the physical portrait keyboard is the best form factor I've ever used.
    I liked the Droid Pro too, but I am looking forward to the 9900 because you dont HAVE to use the touchscreen if you dont need. If the Droid Pro had an optical trackpad, I would be using one right now.
    05-18-11 09:25 AM
    I liked the Droid Pro too, but I am looking forward to the 9900 because you dont HAVE to use the touchscreen if you dont need. If the Droid Pro had an optical trackpad, I would be using one right now.
    I do miss the trackpad and the physical home row buttons, especially the dedicated phone and end keys. Another reason I'm jazzed to see the new Bold.
    05-18-11 10:03 AM
    I agree with all of you guys on having the best of both world….real BB keyboard + touch screen. My previous phones were iphone 3gs & htc hd2 and both were fantastic phones in their own way…..loved the smoothness of iphone & geeky feature of hd2 (tons of custom roms to choose from and also allows to dual boot 2 OS window/android). I'm kinda done with touch-screen thing for a moment. This is one of the main reason I moved to BB. Here's the scenario I come across very often with touch screen phones: 1) I live in china and my chinese language skill is very limited. So I use my phone as a tool to communicate with my chinese frens whenever I get lost in translation. One time I had this address in my note application (htc hd2) and showed to cab driver but he touched somewhere and my whole address got deleted. I had to get off cab plus lost the address and 2) I've a terrible habit of wiping the screen off my shirt or simply with my hand……I don’t know I simply do it everytime.

After owning BB9780, I never have to face those above-mentioned problems any more......esp with apps like "leave it on".
    Last edited by nikesu; 05-18-11 at 10:09 AM.
    05-18-11 10:05 AM

I don't know that it is a last line of reasoning or resistance but I do understand as in the past when I've played with a touchscreen phone it has done nothing but drove me nuts clicking and opening things I don't want etc. I know I didn't have it long enough to get use to it but I couldn't find any adjustments anywhere.

So touchscreen can be too touchy for some people.
    05-18-11 10:13 AM
    I'm kinda done with touch-screen thing for a moment. This is one of the main reason I moved to BB. Here's the scenario I come across very often with touch screen phones: 1) I live in china and my chinese language skill is very limited. So I use my phone as a tool to communicate with my chinese frens whenever I get lost in translation. One time I had this address in my note application (htc hd2) and showed to cab driver but he touched somewhere and my whole address got deleted. I had to get off cab plus lost the address and 2) I've a terrible habit of wiping the screen off my shirt or simply with my hand��I don�t know I simply do it everytime.

After owning BB9780, I never have to face those above-mentioned problems any more......esp with apps like "leave it on".
    1) Just like a non-touchscreen BB, there will be a Confirm Delete feature. Nobody can briefly touch the screen and delete something important.

2) I do with my shirt. (But not with my hand�I don't get people that do that, but lots do!)
    There will be a Lock button on top of the device. You just quickly click it so the screen is black before cleaning the screen, regardless of your method.
    05-18-11 03:31 PM
    when I've played with a touchscreen phone it has done nothing but drove me nuts clicking and opening things I don't want etc. I know I didn't have it long enough to get use to it but I couldn't find any adjustments anywhere.

So touchscreen can be too touchy for some people.
    I do not know if RIM cares about ppl like me who hate touch screen. Or RIM can come up with some sort of apps or button which let users to disable touch screen....that'll be great!!
    I felt the same about touchscreens. Just HATED them. I always said the only way I'd ever use one is if it still had a full keyboard and trackpad. Then lo and behold, out comes the Torch. I wasn't planning on one, until the untimely demise of my 9700 just a week after the Torch released.

After giving it a try, I can tell you there is nothing like the mixed interface of the keyboard + trackpad + touchscreen.
    One of the best things about BB's isn't that there are multiple ways to do most things. The addition of the touchscreen to the traditional non-touch form factor only takes this to the next level.

Trust a former fellow touchscreen hater: you'll love it!

If you're typing your fingers aren't near the screen so...............
    True, but I will admit that you'll accidentally hit the screen sometimes while scrolling on the trackpad. Especially at first. No biggie, just saying.
    Last edited by elite1; 07-07-11 at 06:23 PM.
    05-18-11 03:44 PM

I came into this topic and then what do I see? A post saying word for word exactly what I wanted to say.
    05-18-11 03:45 PM
    I felt the same about touchscreens. Just HATED them. I always said the only way I'd ever use one is if it still had a full keyboard and trackpad. Then lo and behold, out comes the Torch. I wasn't planning on one, until the untimely of my demise just a week after the Torch released.

After giving it a try, I can tell you there is nothing like the mixed interface of the keyboard + trackpad + touchscreen.
    One of the best things about BB's isn't that there are multiple ways to do most things. The addition of the trackpad to the traditional non-touch form factor only takes this to the next level.

Trust a former fellow touchscreen hater: you'll love it!

True, but I will admit that you'll accidentally hit the screen sometimes while scrolling on the trackpad. Especially at first. No biggie, just saying.
    Yeah, I'm thinking about this phone and have even thought about the full touch one but I think I'd still like that bb keyboard. I'll just have to play with them in the store for more than a minute or two.

I really like the idea of the torch but never played with one since if I liked it that would only hurt because AT&T doesn't work so well where I go a lot. What I really like about it is the larger screen for older eyes.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 05-18-11 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Screen
    05-18-11 04:00 PM
    But when bringing up the torch as an example of trying to get into touch screens it's pretty wrong because that phone will just sour you on them. There is a degree of responsiveness and also typing software that makes a big difference.

For instance Windows Phone and the iPhone have the best responsiveness in terms of scrolling between many screens and all that. As for typing on a touch screen, iOS has the best built in keyboard, the android one got a lot better for gingerbread, the torch one is flat out terrible and sullies the whole experience of a touch screen. I was also once a keyboard only guy but now I simply don't care. The reality is once you open your mind and try something new, you flat out WILL get used to it. I can type like a monster on an iphone or something, I can also type fast on a blackberry. I've had the opportunity to get used to both.
    05-18-11 04:10 PM
    But when bringing up the torch as an example of trying to get into touch screens it's pretty wrong because that phone will just sour you on them. There is a degree of responsiveness and also typing software that makes a big difference.

For instance Windows Phone and the iPhone have the best responsiveness in terms of scrolling between many screens and all that. As for typing on a touch screen, iOS has the best built in keyboard, the android one got a lot better for gingerbread, the torch one is flat out terrible and sullies the whole experience of a touch screen. I was also once a keyboard only guy but now I simply don't care. The reality is once you open your mind and try something new, you flat out WILL get used to it. I can type like a monster on an iphone or something, I can also type fast on a blackberry. I've had the opportunity to get used to both.
    I won't be ignorant enough to say you're wrong, since it sounds like you've had the chance type on more types of smartphones than I have.

Curious though, what generation(s) of OS have been on the Torches you've tried. Also, there are responsiveness settings in Options. I was wondering if you adjusted those before judging.

You might be bang-on, but the reason I question it is from experience. When the Torch released, the Torch Forum was littered with posts from people complaining about screen responsiveness/accuracy who hadn't even bothered to check if there were settings they could optimize to their preferences.
    05-18-11 04:47 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD