I'm a Telus subscriber, currently using a 9700 that is overdue for replacement (Micro SD card slot doesn't work).

My contract is due for renewal and I've negotiated good terms with Telus for my monthly plan if I renew for another 3 years.

I want a Bold 9900 but am curious if the 3-year contract price will go down during the Christmas shopping season/Black Monday/whatever. Currently at $150 with no other incentives that I know of.

Any feedback based on past patterns in Canada? Will the box stores come up with gift cards if you buy from them?

Thanks!
    11-02-11 01:05 PM
    I'm pretty sure they will. They are currently sitting at a bit more expensive then the comp, so i'd be really suprised if they don't lower to compete.
    11-02-11 01:13 PM
    I'm pretty sure they will. They are currently sitting at a bit more expensive then the comp, so i'd be really suprised if they don't lower to compete.

Thanks; but I'm not sure why you say they are more expensive than the comp... Rogers, Bell and Virgin are all at $170 while Telus is at $150...
    11-02-11 01:16 PM
    It should be, I got mine for $99 in September...
    11-02-11 02:13 PM
    I bet they will have a special promo on, buy two for X amount of dollars.. or just put the phone up for 0 dollars on a three year
    11-02-11 02:37 PM
    Whens the white one comming I what to see it before I buy the black one
    11-02-11 03:13 PM
    2 of my friends were able to get 9900s from Virgin and Bell for $99+ tax the past couple days, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Telus drop the price of the phone down in the coming days.
    11-02-11 03:28 PM
    2 of my friends were able to get 9900s from Virgin and Bell for $99+ tax the past couple days, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Telus drop the price of the phone down in the coming days.
    Thanks Mike. Were these prices officially posted somewhere or is it possible to haggle with these guys? lol
    11-03-11 07:32 AM
    Thanks Mike. Were these prices officially posted somewhere or is it possible to haggle with these guys? lol
    If you're a subscriber, it's always possible to haggle.
    Just have to speak to the right person...
    11-03-11 09:15 AM
    If you're a subscriber, it's always possible to haggle.
    Just have to speak to the right person...
    Not sure if I should be haggling with Telus over the phone or with the retail shop that sells the phone... lol?
    11-03-11 10:23 AM
    They were both brand new subscribers to Virgin and Bell respectively, so they didn't really hold any haggling power haha.

Usually carriers will have you got to the retail store to buy a new phone, instead of making you wait while it ships if you order form their call centre. Go to the store and see what you can do
    11-03-11 10:30 AM
    Hah, just saw this today :

Telus BlackBerry Bold 9900 Smartphone - Black - 3 Year Agreement : Telus - Future Shop

$75 at FS today I guess I'll be heading over

I guess you guys were right!
    11-03-11 12:40 PM
    Bah, ends up that is new activations only. Renewals/hardware upgrades still pay $150. That's BS!

Hah, just saw this today :

Telus BlackBerry Bold 9900 Smartphone - Black - 3 Year Agreement : Telus - Future Shop

$75 at FS today I guess I'll be heading over

I guess you guys were right!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 06:19 AM
    Not sure if I should be haggling with Telus over the phone or with the retail shop that sells the phone... lol?

Always go with the phone. Stores have pretty limited haggling power compared to tier 2 support on the phone (Customer Service, the 1st line you'll hit when you call are also pretty restricted, but if you can get to the next level they can do just about anything they want). Just tell them you want the same price as a new activation or else you'll leave...
    11-04-11 08:20 AM
    Always go with the phone. Stores have pretty limited haggling power compared to tier 2 support on the phone (Customer Service, the 1st line you'll hit when you call are also pretty restricted, but if you can get to the next level they can do just about anything they want). Just tell them you want the same price as a new activation or else you'll leave...
    Called 2nd line Telus support for the third time and they are giving me a great rate plan but they won't budge on the phone and they won't offer me "new activation pricing". They seem to be firm on that.

Apparently places like Future Shop make more money on a new activation than on a Hardware Upgrade; so they can absorb part of that extra money to give gift cards and whatnot. A little frustrating...

I guess the guys at Telus didn't see the Ally Bank commercial : "Even kids know it's wrong to treat new friends better than old friends".
    11-04-11 08:36 AM
    Wow, Telus just upped the price to $170 on a 3-year gig. LAME!

Either they see me coming or the 9900 is selling well!
    11-08-11 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD