Gorilla glass is good if you absolutely need it (for example, if you keep the phone in a pocket with stuff that will for sure scratch the screen). If not, it adds cost, weight, and the tendency to shatter.

My Captivate has been through some pretty rough times and never had a scratch on the screen. No screen protector and no gorilla glass. I haven't had a phone with a screen that scratched since my HTC Fuze. I've never had a problem with scratched BB screens, and neither has my wife. She throws her phone in with her keys on a regular basis.

I've had two friends with gorilla glass issues (shattering). One of them was a drop that was incredibly light and definitely shouldn't have caused problems.

It's tough stuff though. I can't believe how hard it is to scratch it.
    05-02-11 06:24 PM
    Yeah, increasing how hard the glass is is not free. Harder generally = brittle.
    05-02-11 06:25 PM
    It's a long experiment if it was on purpose.
    Nope - I'm just really clumsy with gadgets! Good thing I really like RIM products - they happen to be built like tanks. I think an iPhone would last me about a week with my track record!
    05-02-11 07:28 PM
    "Multi-touch" has little to do with the phone being either capacitive or resistive. Multi-touch refers to the phone's capabilities of detecting input at two or more locations simultaneously (enabling features such as pinch-to-zoom).

Click here for more information.

As for the gorilla glass, it would be nice, but the phone has a steel band protecting the rim of the phone. The main weak spot for any glass panel are the sides. With a device like the iPhone4, where the sides are exposed (the metal band doesn't fully encompass them), a fall at a bad angle can shatter the glass completely. With devices like the Torch, the plastic bezel doesn't offer much protection, and so it too is prone to shattering.
    FYI, if you look closely at the side of the iPhone 4, the glass on both sides are surrounded by a plastic ring, so no glass is exposed on the side. It is sort of a visual illusion though.
    05-02-11 09:33 PM
    I had an EVO and I was pretty rough with it and I never got a scratch on that thing. I am pretty good about not dropping my phones though. Oh and the EVO doesn't have gorilla glass. I think gorilla glass I over rated personally.
    05-03-11 03:02 AM

the tech guy for RIM states at 23seconds that its a capacitive.

im not sure if it will have gorilla glass but i recon it will be treated with something. it would be silly not to.
    05-03-11 05:05 AM
    gorilla glass would be cool, but thats too progressive for rim. baby steps first
    05-04-11 01:03 AM
    gorilla glass would be cool, but thats too progressive for rim. baby steps first
    Why would they HAVE to have gorilla glass at any point? What's so great about it? I mean, I understand if you try to intentionally scratch it that it has amazing properties, but is it really necessary? Will RIM determine that the extra cost and weight and repair cost, along with the rare shattering, is worth it? My BlackBerries have never had a problem with their screens, and there are plenty of other devices out there these days whose screens are treated in such a way that they resist scratching to the point where a vast majority of users will never know the difference.
    05-04-11 10:32 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD